X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amby87
    • Nov 21, 2009

Type S Body Hand Swap Question

Hi,
    I recently swapped a Mego Soldier Ape head and outfit onto a Type S brown body and think the fit and look of it is great. Even though they don't match the body exactly, I would now like to swap the ape hairy hands onto the Type S. Has anyone tried putting original Mego hands on their type S bodies and, if so, do they fit? I remember a thread somewhere here where someone used shrink tubing on some type of hand (can't remember which manufacturer) to make it fit in the Type S wrist socket snugly. Sorry for trying to take the easy way out here by asking instead of just attempting it myself.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

when removing the Castaway hands heat up the arm first, they hand stems are VERY brittle(the one problem with these bodies, should have been softer plastic). The Mego hands should fit since the stems are a little bit wider than the Castaway ones.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ZICA
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      when removing the Castaway hands heat up the arm first, they hand stems are VERY brittle(the one problem with these bodies, should have been softer plastic).
      I had to assemble and dress 103 figures for a recent project, all of which I had to remove the hands from the bodies first before the clothing would go on easily. That's 206 individual hands that I had to remove from the arms on Type S bodies, and not ONE hand stem broke. We've sold thousands of these bodies at this point and the number of people who have had issues with the hand stems breaking is still in the single digits.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

without heating in hot water first I've broken 2 glow hands and two flesh ones out of 6 bodies. Now I always heat them first and don't have a problem.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

I've never had to heat any of the hands on either the bodies I got through the KS ( inital white, GLD)
          or the ones bought after ( Transparent, White and Brown).
          They simply swap out easy peasy and is the #1 thing I like about the Type S Bodies!

My only issues to date has been
          (1) CTVT suits don't fit on them ( CTVT's fault, not Craig or Dave's)
          and (2) I've had to dremel a bit around the neck hole to make some heads fit so that they could turn
          (LJN heads, Mattell Retro heads).

So I'm in the thousands of successful cases/ bodies sold, ymmv.
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by ZICA
            I had to assemble and dress 103 figures for a recent project...
            I hope this is something for Mego Meet!!!
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• amby87
              • Nov 21, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              when removing the Castaway hands heat up the arm first, they hand stems are VERY brittle(the one problem with these bodies, should have been softer plastic). The Mego hands should fit since the stems are a little bit wider than the Castaway ones.
              Hey, thanks for the advice! I tried it and the original Mego hands fit perfectly. I now have a very sturdy, super-articulated soldier ape and no worries about rubber bands wearing out. Thank you so much!

Comment

• TRDouble
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 10, 2012

I've had one stem break on me from the first batch of bodies sold at the store. I was then told I should apply a little heat before swapping hands.

The last batch of Type S figures I bought has a warning sticker on the box that reads:

"IMPORTANT!

It is highly recommended that heat be applied to any removable parts before attempting to detach or reattach them. This helps soften the plastic which reduces the odds of the parts being damaged."

Comment

• Vinny0026
                  Year Five!!
                  • Jan 26, 2012

I have to admit - on the flesh bodies I have never had the stem break in about 25/30 attempts

Now the clear bodies - It has happened 3 out of the 10 bodies I had
                  I do admit that I was in a rush when I broke 2 of them just tried to pop them out.

I never complained - I just got the dreadmill out - but it is a pain in the arse digging the stems out- sucks.

The boiling water trick is the best IMO. (Boil water - than dip the arms in for a few secs at a time, do this about 5 times - and than just pop them off)

I just got a few more in the mail the other day and now it clearly says on the outside of the box to heat them up first.
                  "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• astro-greg
                    • Mar 8, 2010

I had two hands break rom the first batch of bodies sold. I did't bother reporting it because I had extra hands (thanks to your awesome designs

But I recently had a forearm pin break when a figure fell over. The pin snapped when he landed on his face. I was surprised that it broke, and am not sure how I am going to fix it as getting the pin out of the upper arm is nearly impossible.

I may just wait until the new arms become available.

Comment

• David Lee
                      The Fix-it-up Chappie
                      • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by astro-greg
                      I had two hands break rom the first batch of bodies sold. I did't bother reporting it because I had extra hands (thanks to your awesome designs

But I recently had a forearm pin break when a figure fell over. The pin snapped when he landed on his face. I was surprised that it broke, and am not sure how I am going to fix it as getting the pin out of the upper arm is nearly impossible.

I may just wait until the new arms become available.
                      Heat up the arm with the broken peg inside and then use a thumbtack or ice pick to pry it out by sliding the instrument inside the hole and prying up against the broken pin.

Dave

Comment

• Paladin
                        • Oct 26, 2015

Sorry to revive an older thread, I just wanted to throw this out there. Quite a few customizers have advised to use a hair dryer instead of boiling the parts. Some plastics are affected by the hot water and can become brittle. Not sure if these are made of the same stuff or not, just passing along advice that has served me well at my workbench.

Comment

• actjac01
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 17, 2009

When I feel I have the need to heat, I always use a hairdryer.
                          I find it's just neater and faster to work with, and not quite as cumbersome as boiling.
                          I've used both methods. To each his own.
                          "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

I've used both boil and pop and hairdryer and pop. I've broken/ripped more pieces than I care to count.

*Edit: I have not done any customizing with my current collection of CastAWay bodies. These bodies seem to be well made.
                            Last edited by dr_cyclops; Dec 20, '15, 8:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎