• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by jayraytee
    No.

Big heads turns them into dolls vs action figures. I realize there isn't a lot of difference between the two, but dolls tend to have a big head asthetic which doll collectors accept and see as cute in some way. Action figures tend to have smaller heads, if anything their bodies tend to be abnormally large and muscular. That is acceptable among action figure collectors because the figures are not meant to be cute but instead are meant to be heroic looking. Barbie = stick body and huge head, Famous Covers =huge bodies and tiny stick heads. Two different cultural markets.

When it comes to Marx Brothers or Stooges and things of that nature, they pretty much broderline on dolls anyway. They are not geared toward being heroic characters. But if you are targeting the Mego community, I think the majority would want at least proportionate heads. I never liked the Famous Covers exagerational small heads.
    Actually the famous covers heads were supposedly done right in 8" scale...it was the bodies they messed up making them larger and they ended up 9"

Comment

• jayraytee
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2011

Famous Covers had weird peg-like heads though. Possibly they were in scale with 8" figures, but it would be hard to tell since they were so dang peg-like. Then their hands were massive, they could of easily crushed their own heads in one hand. Something is wrong with that.

With FTC... if they are fixing the giant head issue, it still could be months away. Because I think that issue is, and I may be wrong, that the size they sculpt them isn't exactly the size they come back from the manufacturer. I mean, isn't it that there are working on several waves at once... sending them off to manufacture, getting the first wave back and finding out the heads are too big...even if they try and resize the wave they are currently working on there might already be several waves in the pipeline already in various stages of completion. This process might get prolonged if the size fix is trial and error, meaning if they resize the scuplts and have to wait months to see the result.

No matter what.... I won't buy any large head figures either. I have not bought anything since the Teen Titans... waiting on new characters with in-scale heads... period.
      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 28, 2013

I have to agree with CrimsonGhost in the theory the someone at FTC is fine with the large heads. Kinda stinks but I can live with it.

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

This big head issue has plagued the Mego format for years.Mego with Chips and daisy ,But the retro megos have with everyone who produces these
          figures ,FTC with many of their early lines ,Emce with Pike & salt vampire (although with the vampire being a creature its less noticable) Bif bang pow
          with some figures in each line -Nurse in twilight zone,Rudy and Steve in SMDM,Starbuck & Apollo in Battlestar,Leela in Dr Who,And now with some
          of the new FTC figures,And these same companies also have under-sized heads ,Emce Parker ,and Yellow masked logan head,The teen titans-Compare
          them with the megos-you will see,and some early FTC figures like Paul Morrow.(giant for Maya,Small for Paul).The mego format always seems to
          have these issues,sometime as common as two left or right hands(i have seen this in every company that produces Mego-like figures.I think FTC will
          work this problem out,Bif bang pow did,Look at their new figures like Big bang theory.I just hope FTC gets it licked before the next new lines
          are released.

Comment

• tllgn
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 6, 2010

Oh ,i dont own very many Castaway or zica stuff so i dont know if they had issues,By the way check out FTC production photo of the
            Kresge Shazams hands on their face book.

Comment

• tllgn
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 6, 2010

^^oops they took the photo off the page,but it had two left hands,see their catching the bloopers.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Catching or hiding?
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Teemu
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  ^^ Catching or hiding?
                  definitely hiding

Comment

• jeffbearco
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 27, 2011

At this point, the big head issue is obviously a choice. There has been a conscious decision to make the heads larger than they should be. Maybe the next wave of Batman figures will have a different aesthetic behind them. But for all other lines with the possible exception of some of the Batman 66 figures, the heads are definitely big. I expect the Scooby Doo line to basically be bobble heads.

Go big or go home.

Or the higher the hair the closer to heaven.

Take your pick, but now it is up to us to either buy the figures or not.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• melkorjunior
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Apr 20, 2014

I'm thinking, "Not".

Comment

• jeffbearco
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2011

I will continue to pick and choose. So far the only figure I've pre-ordered is the Justice League Green Arrow. And that seems to be based on the original Mego head. Just a reworked costume.

I'm still hoping we get more things that I'm actually interested in to pre-order.

JeffBearCO
                        Last edited by jeffbearco; May 13, '15, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• mickeymoosemego
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 11, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          I'd sure love to hear FTC's cheerleader mickeymoosemego's spin on this problem. I'm sure its going to be something like "they are working on it" or whatever. They have had this problem way back on the 1999 and Married with Children lines and it can't possibly still be getting worked on. I think they are aware and just don't want to put the effort into fixing it.
                          I've already responded on this matter. It has nothing to do with the Factory or FTC.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Pics?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by mickeymoosemego
                              I've already responded on this matter. It has nothing to do with the Factory or FTC.
                              so that basically eliminates all involved. So its just happening on the boat from China? The heads magically expand? Or you guys think there is no problem? The repros and the 66 line don't have this issue for the most part. FTC has lost sales of Bizarro and the Stooges with me.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

It leaves the sculptor involved.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎