Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Gilligan's Island 8" Figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by TRDouble
    I received my set today... that hat! Maybe it was made big to hide the so, so head sculpt on Gilligan. I see where they were going with it, but they just did not pull it off.

I will open them and take a better look tomorrow. I want to see how the hat looks with the brim turned up.

The Skipper looks great!
    If you could share some pics, that would be awesome. Would like to see if Gilligan's hat can be manipulated to look presentable on him.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
      If you could share some pics, that would be awesome. Would like to see if Gilligan's hat can be manipulated to look presentable on him.
      I just took him out of the package and started playing around with him. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

It seems like the big problem with Gilligan's hat is the brim is way too big. The hat itself fit is head fine and I love how you can push it up on his head to show a significant portion of his hair, just like he wore it on the show. But the brim is about 1/3 too wide. When you flip it up in the front, it's not terrible, but it's definitely an issue.

If CTVT ever sells the hat, I might buy a couple to see what I can do with it. I wonder if you could shrink it and if that would help? Not sure the brim would shrink as much as the inner part though.

More tomorrow (or, later today), but I am not mad I bought these. I like 'em.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Well, I just opened The Skipper, so pictures later, but here are my thoughts on these...

Gilligan. I think the face sculpt they were going for is the picture at the bottom of the front of Gilligan 's card. It misses the mark. I think you can guess that it is Gilligan, but it's not exactly Bob Denver. But it works. The clothes are fine. Pants seem a little off from the source, but that's a minor thing. The biggest issue is, of course the hat. With the brim turned up, it's passable, as in, I can live with it. With the brim any other way... nope. Just looks bad. Getting the hat right would have made this figure pretty good. Instead it's a what-could-have-been story. Still glad to have him though. The body was perfect, no issues.

The Skipper. First, I feel like they nailed the head sculpt. Add the spot on hat, titled a bit to his right side and you have Alan Hale, Jr as The Skipper. His shirt is his biggest character flaw. It was usually unbuttoned at least by one button. Here, is is perfectly buttoned up to the top, with his one, matching big button with Gilligan. And thick, think collar. Yuck. But the likeness makes that all go away. The non-character issues... he uses a fat body, with the different shoulders and arms... is it Korak or Kiss that uses this part? They feel a little loose, but have held up so far. His right hand is very loose; it just flops. I will have to see what I can do to tighten that hand in the socket.

Nice figures overall. Far from perfect, but really, the only true miss is Gilligan's hat, which happens to be very important to the character.

What's next? I want the rest of the castaways, but I can live with the two most major characters on the show. Now if the others are made, it will be interesting to see how that would work (minus getting Tina Louise to sign off on this). You can make Gilligan and The Skipper and be done, but you cannot make any of the remaining five without making all five. Not IMO. One way to accomplish this would be to make a two pack of Mary Ann and Ginger, and The Howells. That leaves The Professor. Can he sell solo, or in a set with a new head sculpt Gilligan? Maybe. I'd love to see FTC try and make them all though.

Comment

• ovenmitt
          Persistent Member
          • May 26, 2009

Yes I'd get 8" Gilligan and Skipper in a second if the other 5 castaways would be made, but FTC tweeted that they are most likely not! SAD. I would have bought ALL 7 castaways 12". too!

Remember the episode where the witch doctor made voodoo dolls of the castaways? One of my favorites! If those voodoo dolls are still around they'd fetch $$$ at auction!

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by ovenmitt
            Yes I'd get 8" Gilligan and Skipper in a second if the other 5 castaways would be made, but FTC tweeted that they are most likely not! SAD. I would have bought ALL 7 castaways 12". too!

Remember the episode where the witch doctor made voodoo dolls of the castaways? One of my favorites! If those voodoo dolls are still around they'd fetch $$$ at auction!
            Yep! I remember that episode! It always killed me how many people that the castaways came across and still could not get off the island.

I am really fine with just the two figures. Sure, more would be better, but seeing the two of them displayed together works for me.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Here are some pictures of them open:

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Those look good!

Is Skipper on a fat body, or just a padded shirt? And is his hat hard plastic or rubbery?

Comment

• tllgn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2010

^Fat body and the cap is hard rubbery .These two figures are very nice .

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                    • Nov 6, 2012

Meh...

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Definitely see the likeness. Very cool. But yeah, that brim is just way too big. Looks like something Mrs. Howell would wear. Looks like a custom will be needed here.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

They look really good to me. I hope they stay available for awhile because I'll have to put them on the back burner for right now. Gilligans Island was my favorite tv show as a kid and I would really like to get them eventually.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 26, 2009

Neat! Good likenesses, especially, Skipper! Gilligan's hat is too big, but at least the hats are removeable! 12" Gilligan looks like Obama!

Wht can't ANYONE make ALL 7 castaways?! Like Exclusive Premiere back in 1997, but they made Professor, too!

Comment

• mirrorman
                            On Patrol
                            • Jul 18, 2011

Originally posted by JediJaida
                            I used to love the show as a kid, but then I grew out of it.

I'd rather get more Supergals, Jonny Quest, or Build Your Own.
                            With you on that one JJ .. especially Jonny Quest

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Those look really, really good. The hat? A scissors will fix that. Worst thing is no more castaways to complete the set. Sad they had nine boring Bradys and yet only two fun islanders.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Judson's
                                • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by huedell
                                Those look really, really good. The hat? A scissors will fix that.
                                Maybe you could swap that hat out with the one from the old Action Jackson Navy set.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎