Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LOU
    Museum FIN-atic
    • Nov 20, 2003

For Sale Removable Mask Robin mask only...real?

Found this in a box I was unpacking tonight. This came with a RM Robin I had purchased years ago. It was sold to me as an original mask. The seller said he was the original owner since the early 70's and that's how he knows it is the original mask.

I posted pics of this before here at the Museum...again many years ago now, and it seems some thought it could be real and some didn't. I personally have a feeling it is a real Mego Robin mask. It just looks too old and worn. The white mesh remnants appear to still be there, the material used looks like Mego...shiny one side...feltlike on the back where the mesh once was. The strap also looks like Mego although this one was repaired. The original owner had told me the strap came unattached at some point so he glued it back...and in light of recent news of a glue version of the Mego Robin mask...this part of the seller's story about this piece now makes sense as well.

However whatever it is, I don't need it. I don't foresee myself buying a loose RM Robin anytime soon and that was the only reason I kept the mask when I eventually sold my RM Robin figure some years ago...so I wouldn't have to find another mask.
    As I said, I think it's real, a few members here back then thought so as well. Some didn't too though. I just think the seller's history on this was too believable...he also had a stirrup Batman for sale as I recall as well that he said were bought the same day when he was a kid.

However even though I think it's real, I'm not 100% certain of that. That is just my opinion. However I am not guaranteeing that simply because I have no way to.

So I will let you guys/the buyers decide. The item pictured is for sale and I will take offers. I guess if someone thinks it's real they will make an offer. There's no way I will ever know for sure so I make NO GUARANTEES guys, just offering it up for sale here because I don't need it and because there were members who believed it was real back then...but I make no guarantees at all...you decide if you want to make an offer...I will simply post it for sale and let the buyer, if any, make the detemination if they think it's real.
    Thanks guys!

...and here is a pic from years ago when the mask was on the Robin it came with...
    Last edited by LOU; May 6, '15, 2:52 PM.
  • Relic
    Banned
    • Jun 24, 2012

mikeMc5 would be the person to contact as he has been after a mask forever. At the very least he should know if its original. Good luck I hope it is real.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Tough Call... Material looks to be that of a RM... I would feel better if the white mesh were still there.

Comment

• LOU
        Museum FIN-atic
        • Nov 20, 2003

Yeah as I said, I am by no means an expert. If this is a real one it would be the first one I've ever seen in person so I am definitely not very familiar with these masks. I just remember when i first inquired about it years ago, some members here thought it wasn't real and some members PMd and wanted to buy it because they thought it was real. At that time I was still collecting so I didn't want to sell it though.
        So I feel it's best to not claim it real or repro since either way I don't really know. It just looks too old and worn to be something made in recent years and the material doesn't appear to be something easily found with shiny side and felt like side. Plus the seller seemed like a decent guy back then as well who didn't really know much about Mego and repros. So that's why I tend to think it is real but again, that's just my opinion and not something I can prove. So whatever it is...I definitely don't need it anymore so I tossed it up here for you all to decide.
        Thanks guys!

Comment

• mikeMc6
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 24, 2012

My cell phone blow'd up this morn and now I know why...I'm in a meeting right now but can't wait to see pics when I have a moment. And it sounds like the mask will be for sale eventually, yes? Was there a price?
          INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
          WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

The elastic looks wrong to me...
            I think it should be flat, and not the shape it is.

Comment

• LOU
              Museum FIN-atic
              • Nov 20, 2003

Hi Mike! Well don't get too excited my friend...as I said I have no idea if this is real or not. My personal opinion is that it is but factually I have no idea. Having said that it is definitely for sale and no I do not have a price in mind because of my uncertainty regarding the piece. Obviously if it's deemed real it is quite valuable so I would take offers on it. So with this item I am letting potential buyers decide so that I do jot misrepresent this item. I just have no possible way to definitively prove it's real or not sadly.

Comment

• LOU
                Museum FIN-atic
                • Nov 20, 2003

Was just trying to find more pics of the mask in some old photo albums and I found one of the Robin the mask came with years ago and added it to my initial post.

Comment

• josephcardone
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 10, 2010

It could be someone cut it down a bit (it looks like from the picture anyway - could be wrong) on top and replaced the elastic at some point. It looks old and where you got it from sounds good.
                  Last edited by josephcardone; May 6, '15, 3:35 PM.

Comment

• LOU
                    Museum FIN-atic
                    • Nov 20, 2003

Yeah Joseph the seller back then sounded like some guy who found a box of his old toys and was selling them. He had only three Megos for sale...the RM Robin, the Batman, and a Superman...the rest of his stuff was G.I. Joe and other early 70's toys and games. In fact he didn't even know that a painted mask Robin existed LOL! So he wasn't a Mego guy like us. He was just some dude who was selling his old toys he found.
                    This, partnered with the really old appearance of this item makes me think it's real. I also got the Robin for like $400 so if he was trying to scam me with a fake mask, he would have to know that RM Robins with original masks are worth way more than the $400 I paid him. So these are the reasons I think it is real...the seller's clear lack of Mego knowledge...the very old appearance...the obscure material...etc. It had definitely been repaired, that is clear to me and the seller said he glued the elastic back on.
                    To me all of these factors lead me to believe it is indeed real. I just can't prove that obviously and can't state that as fact.
                    Last edited by LOU; May 6, '15, 3:46 PM.

Comment

• LOU
                      Museum FIN-atic
                      • Nov 20, 2003

Mask is SOLD! Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡