• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by megoknight
    Haters gonna Hate!
    and BLIND people will continue to be blind...these sets have legitimateQC and design issues

Comment

• Ninersphan1
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 27, 2009

These simply are flat out not worth what they are charging for them. If/when this line folds, I will be very interested to read Doc's comments on the behind the scenes stuff that went on with these because I simply can't believe he's 100% happy with how these came out. The shame of it is they are SOOOOO close to being good.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Wow, that retro style Wolverine is really sad. Well, the other two look pretty darn good!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by pmwasson
          I played around with Logan today and am quite happy with him. Here is a group shot.

So 2 of the 3 versions look good. Logan jeans are nicely detailed, but gap a bit at the waist. I used the body that came with the set for Logan, since the skin tone is odd, none of my other bodies matched.

In the book that came with it, Joe talks about popping the claws on and off the hands, but the final version seems to have them glued in. That is probably why the gloved version didn't have and hands, since the clawed version don't fit and the claws now don't come off. In the pre-order photo for the set, the claws are shown separate from the hands.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I wish I didn't like the brown one...because BBTS will still let me cancel the set, with no penalty fee.
            sigpic

Comment

• melkorjunior
              Museum Super Collector
              • Apr 20, 2014

That yellow Wolverine makes me a sad panda. As does this entire line, really. Every set so far has had major problems, not just in execution, which perhaps could be forgiven, but in concept and design. Who thought it was a good idea to sew on Cap's stars with a single thread? Who thought that Wolverine helmet was a good idea? Why leave out Wolverine's hands? Why did we get circle suit Spider-man instead of a standard Spider-Man? Almost no collectors have any nostalgia for the circle suit since they never owned one, and people who aren't intimately familiar with Mego history will have no idea why Spider-man's outfit looks wrong. Why was the repro Mego box glued to the side of the package? Why put twist ties through the clothes?

I just bought the Spider-man set only because I found it deeply discounted on Amazon, where I have a prime membership that gives me free shipping. Total cost shipped: $50. I damaged the box freeing it from the case, of course, but I bought the set because all of the pieces represent good custom fodder for me, and I like the modern Spider-Man with his underarm webs and his web-shooters. I actually like the way they did the head on the repro Spider-Man too--the web pattern seems to be etched into the vinyl, and the head seems to be slightly better proportioned than an original Mego Spidey--slightly less bulbous. Now if only it wasn't a circle suit...

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by melkorjunior
                That yellow Wolverine makes me a sad panda. As does this entire line, really. Every set so far has had major problems, not just in execution, which perhaps could be forgiven, but in concept and design. Who thought it was a good idea to sew on Cap's stars with a single thread? Who thought that Wolverine helmet was a good idea? Why leave out Wolverine's hands? Why did we get circle suit Spider-man instead of a standard Spider-Man? Almost no collectors have any nostalgia for the circle suit since they never owned one, and people who aren't intimately familiar with Mego history will have no idea why Spider-man's outfit looks wrong. Why was the repro Mego box glued to the side of the package? Why put twist ties through the clothes?

I just bought the Spider-man set only because I found it deeply discounted on Amazon, where I have a prime membership that gives me free shipping. Total cost shipped: $50. I damaged the box freeing it from the case, of course, but I bought the set because all of the pieces represent good custom fodder for me, and I like the modern Spider-Man with his underarm webs and his web-shooters. I actually like the way they did the head on the repro Spider-Man too--the web pattern seems to be etched into the vinyl, and the head seems to be slightly better proportioned than an original Mego Spidey--slightly less bulbous. Now if only it wasn't a circle suit...
                according to the booklets that come with these sets...Dr. Mego designed these.....unless Marvel has higher control of the designs and choices,that's why we got what we got.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I still don't understand why they didn't use the CAW style fist gloves instead of the Famous Covers style. Cast-A-Way gloves fit with hands and look cool. No hands is a poor choice. The figure is incomplete, which isn't right. Captain America came with an extra set of flesh hands for no reason. The boxed figure already has a set on, so they weren't needed because if you buy a new body, it has hands already.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Maybe Wolverine's a build a figure, you have to buy Cap to get his hands?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• melkorjunior
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Apr 20, 2014

I just finished the arduous process of freeing my Parker and modern Spidey figures from the packaging. Those little plastic ties are absolutely the stupidest packaging idea ever. I had to be like a surgeon with an x-acto knife, carefully cutting each tie through the middle while at the same time trying not to stretch out the clothes too much for fear of exacerbating the holes that were already present. The Parker outfit has noticeable holes even though I was extremely careful; the modern Spidey outfit's holes are miniscule by comparison and essentially invisible to the eye--but they're still there, and there's no good reason for it. And of course I had to utterly destroy the packaging to get anything free of it--EMCE used so much glue everywhere that no mater how careful you are, this box is getting destroyed. What the hell was EMCE thinking with this packaging??

I was looking forward to Thor, as the modern version looks cool, but if Thor comes with these stupid plastic ties putting holes through the outfits I won't buy that set even at discount.

One bit of good news: on close inspection of the Parker head, yeah, it definitely looks like the Romita-esque prototype was squished; however, it does make a nice looking Ditko version now with the longer, thinner face. It just needs a good pair of glasses to complete the look--and the glasses that came with this set don't qualify. I don't even know how people are managing to get them to fit on Parker's head, they're just too big and awkward--I certainly couldn't make them fit. Does CTVT sell decent looking glasses?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

^^^^^^^
                        The sets after Spider-man don't have the costumes pierced by the plastic holders. They have formed or flat body shapes to hold the clothing in place. Much better for the costumes!

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

So, who is going to make a cast of the Wolverine head and sell them at the Mall?

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by TRDouble
                            So, who is going to make a cast of the Wolverine head and sell them at the Mall?
                            I'll buy one! That way I won't have to sell my Yellow costume version.
                            sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jul 7, 2007

Perplexing.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Jan 19, 2008

I wonder, do all the Mego style boxes have the damage on the back?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎