X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

It Follows

"It Follows" is a brand new low-budget, indie, super-buzzed, sleeper, horror movie.

Have any of you guys seen this yet? I caught it last night.
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

No, I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it. I hope it doesn't disappoint me the way the Babadook did (which enjoyed similar word of mouth).

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Babadook sounds like baby talk for poop.

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

It Follows is pretty good. I liked The Babadook quite a bit actually. Probably more than It Follows.

Another super-hyped up "horror" movie was A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, which is now on Netflix, was just okay. No real scares, pretty slow, and not a lot happens. If you like Jim Jarmusch films you'll probably dig it.

I just re-watched The House of the Devil which is an effective throw-back to 80s horror.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

I haven't seen "Babadook" yet. For some reason the trailer didn't get me riled up enough, but I'll probably check it out at some point.

I'll check out "A Girl Walks Alone at Night". I just watched the trailer and it looks Raimi-ish in a really fun way.

Oh man - I totally forgot about "The House of the Devil" - I love Tom Noonan! Thanks for reminding me Iron Mego!!!

MINOR SPOILERS

I liked "It Follows". I thought it was very well crafted, but I did have mixed feelings. I guess I probably had too many expectations about where the idea could have gone to find the ending satisfactory. Also, some of the themes of movie that could have been really compelling (intimacy/suffering) didn't really feel fleshed out to me. I liked the pace and character scenes. Everyone else I went with LOVED it - so maybe some of it was a bit lost on me for some reason.

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

I said the same thing to my buddy after we saw the movie. They could have explored the "passing it on" aspect much deeper and in some really creepy ways. I will say the acting was top-notch, and they really stayed clear of horror movie character stereotypes.

I don't know if you'll get much Raimi-ness from A Girl Walks. The most intriguing part for me was the setting. Taft, CA (passing as Iran) is as much a character in the film as the actors.

Originally posted by Brazoo
            MINOR SPOILERS

I liked "It Follows". I thought it was very well crafted, but I did have mixed feelings. I guess I probably had too many expectations about where the idea could have gone to find the ending satisfactory. Also, some of the themes of movie that could have been really compelling (intimacy/suffering) didn't really feel fleshed out to me. I liked the pace and character scenes. Everyone else I went with LOVED it - so maybe some of it was a bit lost on me for some reason.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Brazoo
              Weirdly, that's almost exactly what I'd say about The Babadook.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

In the hands of a different director, Babadook could've been a masterpiece I'd watch over and over. As it is, it's a one time view.

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
                  In the hands of a different director, Babadook could've been a masterpiece I'd watch over and over. As it is, it's a one time view.
                  Yeah . . . there's a GREAT horror movie in there, but a lot of missed opportunity keeps it from attaining it.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                    I just re-watched The House of the Devil which is an effective throw-back to 80s horror.
                    Thanks for the suggestion, guys! I watched this on Friday night and really enjoyed it.

Comment

• mjaycox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 16, 2008

"It Follows" was absolutely fantastic

In my humble opinion (and I don't have a humble opinion) it is the best horror film since "Let the Right One In". It is very suspenseful with a fantastic score. Reminds me alot of early John Carpenter. If that's your thing, then this movie is for you.

If you like Insidious, Oculus, Sinister, Conjuring, or Paranormal Activity, you may not like this as much, as there is not a single jump scare in the whole film.

If you like Hostel, Saw sequels, I Saw The Devil, you already KNOW you won't like this movie, so don't bother.

Matt
                      Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• mjaycox
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 16, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
                        Babdook IS a Masterpiece. In the hands of different director, I doubt it would've been as good. The thing is, Babadook is more akin to psychological horror of "Repulsion" about a psychologcally unstable woman losing her mind in near-isolation. They've simply sweetened the pot by giving her severe post-partum depression abd added a boogeyman. It is not a monster movie per se'.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

mjaycox, having not seen Babadook I really wish I hadn't read your last post.

Comment

• mjaycox
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 16, 2008

Dear Brazoo,

So sorry. You're absolutely right. I should have said "Spoiler Alert". I deeply apologize

That being said, I've revealed nothing that isn't made clear in the first 10-15 mins, so please don't avoid it on my account

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by mjaycox
                              Dear Brazoo,

So sorry. You're absolutely right. I should have said "Spoiler Alert". I deeply apologize

That being said, I've revealed nothing that isn't made clear in the first 10-15 mins, so please don't avoid it on my account
                              Okay, that's good to know - thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎