Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Come on Thanos, time to show the Avengers a real badarse, lol...
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

No funeral, no send off, not even one little thanks...nada.
      Hawkeye gave his newborn the middle name of "Pietro".

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Hawkeye gave his newborn the middle name of "Pietro".

Chris
        Oh, cool...must've happened while I was loudly masticating my popcorn, lol.

Thanks for the info...I now feel better for poor ol Quicksilver...
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, it's on the baby's onesie "Nathaniel Pietro Barton". I think Black Widow is looking at a video as she's staring at the wall Cap comments on, inside the new Avengers "boot camp".

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

I've got no complaints, just wish it was an hour longer to give more time for Ultron and the Vision to bed in. Also really wish Ant-Man had shown up, it was a waste not tying in Hank Pym or Scott Lang.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 12, 2014

Just saw it today. Greatest movie I ever seen!!!!! Been an Avengers fan since I was 5.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Early numbers in for sophomore weekend. There appears to be some public fatigue for the hero ensemble films. This is a bigger drop than Iron Man III suffered it's first Friday to Friday compare. I think the novelty has worn off. It's a great film nonetheless. Hoping to see it for a second time this weekend if I can get it carved into my busy schedule.

Top 10 per industry estimates for the weekend of May 8-10, 2015:

1). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 4,276 theaters (0) / $21.9M (-74%) Fri. / 3-day cume: $76.8M (-60%) /Total cume: $310.6M/ Wk 2

2). Hot Pursuit (WB/MGM-New Line), 3,003 theaters / $4.2M* Fri. / 3-day cume: $12.5M / Wk 1
                *includes $450K Thursday previews

3). The Age of Adaline (LGF), 3,070 theaters (+79)/ $1.49M Fri. (-33%)/ 3-day cume: $5.17M (-20%) / Total cume: $31.1M/ Wk 3

4). Furious 7 (UNI), 3,004 theaters (-301) / $1.28M Fri. (-41%) / 3-day cume: $4.96M (-25%) / Total cume: $338.1M/ Wk 6

5). Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (SONY), 3,201 theaters (-347)/ $1.17M Fri. (-34%)/ 3-day cume: $4.9M (-17%)/ Total cume: $57.8M / Wk 4

6). Ex Machina (A24), 2,004 theaters (+725) / $878K Fri. (+21%) / 3-day cume: $2.9M (+27%)/ Total cume: $14.3M / Wk 5

7). Home (FOX/DW), 2,495 theaters (-357) / $599K Fri. (-32%) / 3-day cume: $2.65M (-24%)/ Total cume: $162M / Wk 7

8). Cinderella (DIS), 1,034 theaters (-377) / $521K Fri. (-47%) / 3-day cume: $2.1M (-23%) / Total cume: $196.9M / Wk 9

9). The Longest Ride (FOX), 1,464 theaters (-651) / $417K Fri. (-31%)/ 3-day cume: $1.5M (-12%) / Total cume: $35.4M / Wk 5

10). Woman in Gold (TWC), 1,080 theaters (-46) / $374K Fri. (-22%) / 3-day cume: $1.45M (-10%) / Total cume: $26.8M / Wk 6

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I don't think anyone really expected AoU to top the first Avengers. Iron Man III was an anomaly that was still riding high on that wave from the first film. The novelty of the big team-up movie has come and gone for sure. That era of the Marvel movies is over, which is to be expected. Not to always diss them, but you have to wonder where this puts DC's eventual Justice League film, without the goodwill and almost unilateral support the Marvel films have.

My son and I got a chuckle out of thinking about a group of old women out on the town to see The Age of Adaline...but end up seeing Ultron.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

So Marvel/Disney decided to produce a sequel that was more expensive than the first film, with the expectation they were going to make less of a return?

Every forecast was for AoU to top the first one in total gross. The big question was if it could beat the 207 opening weekend. They picked a stupid weekend as school is still in and it's graduation time for the crowd who grew up with the MCU. If you were a fresh in high school when IM came out, you most likely are a senior/ graduating college now. That's a big change in the audience. Non-Fanboys move on, which is what the blasé reaction has underlined.

It's still behind TDK, and most likely won't beat it domestically. Foreign BO has exploded for AoU, especially in the Asian markets. The South Korea shooting being heavily covered in the region and the hi-tech theaters really helped. So it could end up as the second-highest grosser thanks to China.

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

This report seems to be saying that their having a great second weekend?

Avengers: Age of Ultron is pacing only slightly behind the first movie at this point, and Joss Whedon's sequel looks set to have a great second weekend with a haul upwards of $90 million. Hit the jump for details on where that will place it both domestically and worldwide...

Originally posted by MIB41
                      Early numbers in for sophomore weekend. There appears to be some public fatigue for the hero ensemble films. This is a bigger drop than Iron Man III suffered it's first Friday to Friday compare. I think the novelty has worn off. It's a great film nonetheless. Hoping to see it for a second time this weekend if I can get it carved into my busy schedule.

Top 10 per industry estimates for the weekend of May 8-10, 2015:

1). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 4,276 theaters (0) / $21.9M (-74%) Fri. / 3-day cume: $76.8M (-60%) /Total cume: $310.6M/ Wk 2

2). Hot Pursuit (WB/MGM-New Line), 3,003 theaters / $4.2M* Fri. / 3-day cume: $12.5M / Wk 1
                      *includes $450K Thursday previews

3). The Age of Adaline (LGF), 3,070 theaters (+79)/ $1.49M Fri. (-33%)/ 3-day cume: $5.17M (-20%) / Total cume: $31.1M/ Wk 3

4). Furious 7 (UNI), 3,004 theaters (-301) / $1.28M Fri. (-41%) / 3-day cume: $4.96M (-25%) / Total cume: $338.1M/ Wk 6

5). Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (SONY), 3,201 theaters (-347)/ $1.17M Fri. (-34%)/ 3-day cume: $4.9M (-17%)/ Total cume: $57.8M / Wk 4

6). Ex Machina (A24), 2,004 theaters (+725) / $878K Fri. (+21%) / 3-day cume: $2.9M (+27%)/ Total cume: $14.3M / Wk 5

7). Home (FOX/DW), 2,495 theaters (-357) / $599K Fri. (-32%) / 3-day cume: $2.65M (-24%)/ Total cume: $162M / Wk 7

8). Cinderella (DIS), 1,034 theaters (-377) / $521K Fri. (-47%) / 3-day cume: $2.1M (-23%) / Total cume: $196.9M / Wk 9

9). The Longest Ride (FOX), 1,464 theaters (-651) / $417K Fri. (-31%)/ 3-day cume: $1.5M (-12%) / Total cume: $35.4M / Wk 5

10). Woman in Gold (TWC), 1,080 theaters (-46) / $374K Fri. (-22%) / 3-day cume: $1.45M (-10%) / Total cume: $26.8M / Wk 6

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

Never let facts slow you down.
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

The movie is performing very well. Anyone who thought it was going to outdo the original was delusional at best. The novelty has worn off. This is MAJOR hyperbole, but it's like expecting the 2nd moon landing to get the same ratings as the first. The unprecedented has set the precedent...and we move on.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• spacecaps
                            Second Mouse
                            • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by clemso
                            just wish it was an hour longer
                            I went to the 8:15 showing, and got out at 11:05 If anything, and hour shorter would have been better.
                            "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Still haven't seen the movie, but I agree that I believe the public is starting to grow weary of superhero pieces in general. I guess the true barometer will be to see how ANT-MAN does when it comes out. The American viewing audience has a tendency to be somewhat fickle in their likes and dislikes regarding movies and, while AoU is being generally well-received, I am not hearing the "street buzz" about it that I heard regarding the first Avengers movie.

As hedrap pointed out, I think timing is playing a role in AoU's diminished returns, as well. Opening weekend it had to compete against two sporting events (the boxing match and the Ky. Derby) and this weekend, it's competing with Mother's Day. I can't really see a lot of mothers, unless they're really hip and are geeks at heart heading into theaters to see AoU on Sunday and I'm sure that on Saturday, there were likely a lot of people out shopping for MD gifts who couldn't spend two hours plus in the movie theater. Plus, school's are still in session and that's going to put a bit of a hurt on the movie as well.

Will the sophomore fatigue affect the BO take for the third and fourth Avengers movies? Hard to say. Three and four may generate MORE interest (and therefore business) with new directors coming on board (especially since it's the same guys who did such a bang up job on CA:TWS), as well as new characters being brought together (presumably Black Panther, Captain Marvel and perhaps Dr. Strange will appear in TIW Part I) and then TIW Part II will be a reunion film of sorts, presumably bringing Iron Man and the Hulk back into the fold.

Overall, it's going to be an interesting trip...
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

It is a fun film, but a bit disjointed. The script isn't the strongest, and you get a feeling that they pieced together fight scenes, and then inserted some "character development" here and there without really making it one smooth whole.
                                Don't get me wrong, I had a good time, but it's best not to think at all and enjoy the "good guys beat up robot army" concept. None of the "lead" Avengers get a really good scene (Thor, Iron Man, Cap), they're just "around", fighting robots.
                                Hulk and Black Widow get the best parts, both in quiet scenes and the action parts.
                                And some of those action scenes are so OTT, you have a hard time making out what is happening, which kind of defeats the purpose.

It's a good popcorn movie, but the first one was more balanced.
                                And here's hoping the Avengers finally get a memorable adversary in Thanos. Even though Ultron is my favorite, I still feel he didn't make that much of an impression.
                                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎