X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

SPOILERS!! Avengers: Age of Ultron story

I've been debating with myself whether to post this or not but with a lot of stuff covered it might be helpful for some to know what to expect. Having only watched it once I think I remember everything in order that's important.

It's a good movie, better then the first - I probably wouldn't go that far myself.

DON'T CONTINUE IF YOU DON"T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN THE MOVIE!!

SPOILERS..............SPOILERS.................SPO ILERS

The movie starts with what was mentioned in the last episode of Agents of SHIELD - the Avengers are looking for Loki's staff and have located it with Baron Strucker and "the twins" big fight with them getting the staff but having an encounter with Pietro and Wanda ( never called Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch ) Wanda makes them all see things that are their biggest fears ( more on that later ). Upon returning to Avengers Tower Stark finds that the power source of Loki's staff is a super high level artificial intelligence and talks Banner into helping him unlock it to use in Ultron - a project Stark has to protect the planet. While everyone sits around and unwinds and tries to lift Thor's hammer ( there is also a party with cameos by Rhodey and Sam ) things go wrong with Ultron ( didn't see that coming ) he figure since people make war that in order to fulfill his programing of peace on Earth that he has to destroy all people - they fight and the tower is trashed. Everyone goes and hides in a safe-house with Hawkeye's pregnant wife and 2 kids. Fury is revealed to be alive. Meanwhile Ultron has gone to get a synthetic body made ( Hawkeye has a bad wound fixed with synthetic skin after the opening battle ) and while he is hooking up to transfer his mind into it Wanda can see his mind and sees his plan to destroy everyone on Earth. The Avenger have figured out Ultron plan and appear before he can upload into the body and they steal the body with the twins help. Back at the tower Stark talks Banner into another scheme to upload Jarvis into the synthetic body to be able to fight Ultron - the other Avenger stop him before he can complete the upload but Thor appears ( he left earlier on a quest to finish seeing what he had seen when Wanda zapped him into see his fears and he sees the Infinity Gauntlet ) Thor calls down lightning that activates the synthetic body and says that Loki's staff power source was an Infinity Gem ( the mind gem ) and he felt it safe with the Vision ( not really called that as his name but I'll use it ) no one trusts Vision until he picks up Thor's hammer and hands it to him. Everyone goes to fight Ultron - BIG FIGHT. Pietro dies, Fury arrives with a new Helicarrier, Ultron is defeated and the Hulks goes missing. Afterwards Thor leaves and Stark decides to leave too. The Avenger have a new base in up state New York and a new roster - Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Falcon and the Vision along with Hawkeye and the Black Widow who remain with Cap to help train everyone to work together as a team.

I think that the big development with the Hulk ( who doesn't talk in this movie ) that has been mentioned is that Natasha is in love with Banner - she has a way of calming Hulk down to turn back into Banner. Some of the Widows background is also shown. The Hulk leave at the end of the battle because he knows there is no future for him and Natasha.

Also the twins are portrayed as getting their abilities from Strucker and Hydra's work to create enhanced being ( mentioned in Agents Of SHIELD ) rather then their being mutants but it could be said that Strucker only released their abilities rather then artificially creating them.

The copy I saw cut off after a few credits so I have no info on bonus scenes.
  • neogelion
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 11, 2009

Egg-shell-she-or!
    Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

There is a LOT packed in this movie, but it flows so well, you don't feel exhausted. The time goes by really quickly. I never once looked at my watch.

Genuinely surprised at Hawkeye's family and Pietro's death. They really set it up for you to think Hawkeye was going to die. By showing that he had the most to lose, and then focusing on him relaxing momentarily as he sees that boy and goes back for him...they were really playing it. And then Pietro takes the bullets for him. Brilliant.

I was surprised we didn't get more of a Civil War set-up here. I expected Cap and Stark to be at odds at film's end. Another curve ball they threw us, especially after the wood-chopping scene was released as "the road to Civil War". The two seem to make some amount of peace at the end of the film. Maybe Civil War isn't what we think it is in the MCU?

The Vision was handled very, VERY well. Heck all the new characters were. Good to see so many of the supporting players throughout the MCU, but I wish Falcon had got in on some action. I kept hoping to see him come in during the finale. My only minor disappointment in the whole film.

Interesting that they cast Julie Delpy as the schoolmaster/teacher in the Widow flashbacks. They obviously made her up to look older. Makes you wonder what they plan to do with her later.

I'm sure I'll come back in as more thoughts come to the surface. I pretty much came home from the theater and went to bed, so everything's still peruclating....

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Yes it's a pretty busy movie, lots of cool scenes.

I enjoyed the Vision, unfortunately it took too long to get to him. I'm torn on Ultron, the "main" version bothered me because his mouth moved and he just looked off to me. I liked the design of the other versions much better.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bronxboykev
          Permanent Member
          • Mar 7, 2011

And they all have great chemistry on screen together as well... I particularly loved the Scenes with Piero and Hawkeye... Vision was AWESOME IMO... Being that War Machine had a part in the Final Battle I was hoping to see Falcon in there as well... I know no one really ever dies and I really hope we see Piero come back

And the mid credit spoiler...

We get a look at THANOS putting his hand in an EMPTY Infinity Gauntlet and ANNOUNCING "That he would have to do it himself"

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Whedon just posted it on Facebook there was a scene with Loki that got cut. Have to see if it makes it's way to the DVD.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^As much as I love Hiddleston as Loki, I'm kind of glad he wasn't in it. I don't want them to over-saturate us with Loki. A cameo would have been fine, but I'm glad he wasn't a big part of the plot.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

SPOILERS

It looks like they are setting up Vision to play a role similar to Adam Warlock in the Infinity Guantlet movie.

Whedon made a nice swerve having Quicksilver sacrifice himself for Hawkeye and the kid after all but telegraphing Hawkeye's demise from the introduction of his family and really the close call in the opening fight.

The Ironman-Hulk fight was great. Love how Hulk is animated as ape-like and how swiftly he moves.
                Ultron reminded me of Rog-2000 look. I know Whedon was attempting to get away from the icy, sterile, stoic robot/android stereotype, but it didn't work for me. I did like Strucker and Klaw.
                Last edited by madmarva; May 1, '15, 7:46 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Yeah I knew from the beginning it just looked like Hawkeye was doomed....

The Iron Man Hulk fight was right up on the top of my favorite list, "go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep" haha
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• KosmiCKennY
                    Igo ugo we all go 4 mego!
                    • May 13, 2004

anyone else notice the Jocasta reference? When Tony was gearing up for the main battle and there were several memory chips with names on them on the table, one of them said Jocasta on it.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I saw the movie today and absolutely loved it. Nothing convoluted in that plot. I thought it was measurably better than the first one because it had more time to study the heroes instead of introduce them to one another like the first one did. I didn't find Ultron's "master plan" all that phoned in as some critics have complained. Stark's obsession in protecting the world was based on his values of what he perceived as a "threat". But when all that technology developed it's own consciousness, it examined the history of mankind and deemed THAT to be the greatest threat to "peace". It was an interesting dichotomy because Ultron was in fact doing what Stark had asked, except that Stark overlooked the fact that a machine with it's own consciousness would deem self-preservation for it's own kind.

I also don't think Piero is beyond being saved. Remember the healing technology used on Hawkeye. Combine that with the mutant nature of his being and I can easily see an explanation to revive him. Hey, if they can bring back Coulson, anything is possible.

Comment

• clemso
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 8, 2001

The Avengers quick acceptance of the Vision as a team mate bothered me (even with the hammer joke) and also the Vision had little time for a moment of coming to being. Suspect this scene was much longer and had been cut. Over all the movie is fantastic from start to finish. If Joss Whedon's original was as rumored to be 3 hours long, then that's the version that i really want to see and like most. Ultron's humor was a little too human for my liking. Please bare in mind that these very very minor criticisms of a great movie.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 3, 2009

not my work but cut and pasted from another site ,
                          easter eggs

maybe spoilers

The band playing in Captain America’s dream is named The Roy Thomas Band. Roy Thomas is a one-time Marvel Editor-in-Chief who is credited with creating Ultron back in Avengers #58 (1968).

- After J.A.R.V.I.S. is uploaded into the Vision’s body, Tony Stark needs a new A.I. to power his armor. Before settling on F.R.I.D.A.Y. (a nod to His Girl Friday), one of the names seen on the data cards is Jocasta. In the comics, Jocasta was a female robot created by Ultron (with the consciousness of Janet Van Dyne, The Wasp) as a mate.

- Kevin Feige recently said that in every Phase 2 movie, a character’s arm/hand is removed; a nod to Empire Strikes Back, when Vader slices off Luke Skywalker’s hand with a lightsaber. This continues in Avengers 2 when Ultron “accidentally” rips the arm off Ulysses Klaue.

- In the film, the Hulkbuster armor is codenamed “Veronica” a reference to the Archie comics. Joss Whedon explains: “You know, I just decided to call it Veronica because [Banner] used to be in love with a girl named Betty and Veronica is the opposite of that.”

- The removal of Klaue’s arm also sets him up to reapear as Klaw, the main villain in the Black Panther movie. In the comics, Klaw’s arm hand was replaced with a sonic emitter that could create any kind of object or creature using sound.

- Hawkeye and his wife name their new baby boy after Black Widow and Quicksilver. His name is Nathaniel (after Natasha) Pietro (after Quicksilver) Barton.

- Vision swoops in to save Scarlet Witch who is stranded on the floating Sokovia moments before it collapses. He flies off with her in his arms as she looks at him fondly, hinting at their future romance.

- Actor Aaron Himelstein, who played a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent intimidated by Rumlow in Captain America: Winter Soldier, returns as one of the new agents on Fury’s helicarrier.

- In the Sokovian church, Ultron speaks to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch wearing a red hood, a nod to his first appearance in the comics as The Crimson Cowl.

- Ultron says at one point, “Invaders become Avengers,” a reference to the first Marvel superhero team, The Invaders, who were a precursor to The Avengers in the 1940s with a lineup that included Captain America, Human Torch and Namor.

- Dr. Helen Cho in the comics is the mother of Amadeus Cho, a super-genius teenager who is considered to be the “seventh most intelligent person in the world.” In the film, Dr. Cho was possessed by the Mind Stone, a possible explanation for the genius of her son.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

My favorite funny moment was when Ultron says "I can't physically throw up in my mouth, but if I could, I would do it."

I LOL'd at that one.
                            Last edited by enyawd72; May 3, '15, 7:00 AM.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by clemso
                              The Avengers quick acceptance of the Vision as a team mate bothered me (even with the hammer joke) and also the Vision had little time for a moment of coming to being. Suspect this scene was much longer and had been cut. Over all the movie is fantastic from start to finish. If Joss Whedon's original was as rumored to be 3 hours long, then that's the version that i really want to see and like most. Ultron's humor was a little too human for my liking. Please bare in mind that these very very minor criticisms of a great movie.
                              I remember that in the original comic the Avengers accept the Vision right off too so that didn't really bother me.

On a 3hr version - agreed I want to see an uncut version as well.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎