Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your favorite field trip in school ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

When I think back to Grade school I remember the Bronx ZOO, The Hayden Planetarium and an Off Broadway play of the Wizard of OZ LOL...

BUT

Then came Jr High and High School and the Yearly trips to 6 Flags Great Adventure NJ just blew everything else away...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Cincinnati Zoo...but mostly because we passed the Union Terminal/Natural History Museum, which was the inspiration for the Hall of Justice!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by FETT1
        WHOAAAAA...COoL !!
        It was cool!
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

It was a different day/age when science, history & art were valued experiences in public grade schools. They even let us cross borders.

1. Ontario Science Centre, Toronto
          2. Cleveland Museum of Art
          3. Gettysburg, PA

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
            Supporter of Silliness
            • Jun 20, 2007

We were pretty lucky as kids that we got to go on a number of field trips. Tough to choose some favorites, but here goes:

Elementary School
            Chicago Field Museum - Dinosaurs, mummies, animals (specifically The Ghost and the Darkness lions), and all other kinds of good stuff
            Springfield, IL - This was our 8th grade multi-night trip and, by some strange quirk, my room didn't have an adult chaperone. Needless to say, it was a late night made later by the fact that our room had a coffee maker in it.

High School
            New Orleans - Took a couple motor homes from Chicago down to the Big Easy as part of a unit on the Civil War. Stopped at Shiloh and Vicksburg as well as a couple other sites. Great fun and I immediately fell in love with the city. Then again, when you're 15 and dodge the chaperones and sit down at an outdoor cafe and nobody even asks for an ID when you order a hurricane, how could you not love it?
            Tonche Mountain, NY - Junior year, while in boarding school in Philadelphia (family tradition, and not due to the booze-related activity on the NO trip), we had a trimester-based system. Finals ended the week before Thanksgiving and everyone had their choice of mini-field trips they could take from Monday-Wednesday. Since I was a dorm student, I didn't want to do one of the local day trips and instead went to a teacher's cabin in upstate NY. What I didn't realize is that my teacher had married into a multi-multi-millionaire family. His cabin was more or less a wing of a giant mansion on top of a private mountain. As a toilet-scrubbing scholarship student, I didn't realize there were people who actually had access to this kind of thing on a regular basis. While there, we were encouraged to go explore. Spent a day in the woods just wandering around and then were given permission to drive around the 50's era jeep on the trails. Great fun. Plus, my teacher was the president of the Pennsylvania Bow Hunter's Association. Every day, we had venison-based meals from the deer he'd killed the week before. Thick steaks. Hearty stews. Chili. It was pretty awesome.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I always enjoyed the local zoos, both Oakland and San Francisco.

Steinhart Aquarium at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park was also another memorable one for me.
              sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                • Jan 22, 2008

Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto and ice skating on the canal in Ottawa.

Comment

• Duncan
                  Museum focus-groupie
                  • Jun 27, 2009

I remember trips to a 7-Up plant, water treatment facility, Franklin Institute, Academy of Natural Sciences, Philly Art Museum, the King Tut exhibit in NYC, the Zoo, and the HS trip to DC, Williamsburg & Busch Gardens. However, the most memorable one was in 3rd grade. On November 1 we went to Harrisburg, the state capital of PA. Someone's uncle was a state congressman, so we had a decent tour and felt like VIPs. However, it was the day after Halloween, and one kid had eaten a little too much candy. He threw up in the front of the bus before we ever left the parking lot, and the bus stunk for the whole trip.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

I like any trip that goes to Cici's pizza after. Most Cici's will comp the driver for bringing in so many paying customers during a slow time of day, Splashtown and Schlitterbahn Galveston are also great because they let the driver in free. Getting paid to have fun.

Best trip ever was Splashtown. It was thunderstorms so bad you would think it was a hurricane, everywhere EXCEPT that one column of sunshine right over the park, and NOBODY WAS THERE BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THE PARK WOULD BE CLOSED FOR THE WEATHER! No lines on any rides, whole park to ourselves for 4 hours!

CCC.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                      To Fear is Not Logical...
                      • Feb 17, 2008

Being close to DC growing up our school trips almost always was at one Smithsonian building or another. Of course my favorite was always the Air & Space Museum.
                      It's all good!

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

In emelentary school- The Franklin Institute, Philly's interactive science Museum.

In HS- a bus trip to DC. I remember wandering off in the Capitol and coming up to the back of a sign that said "no admittance beyond this point". We also grabbed a Congressional Quarterly sitting in front of a door. Today, we probably would have been arrested.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 1, 2005

[QUOTE=Donkey Hoatie;1211473]We were pretty lucky as kids that we got to go on a number of field trips. Tough to choose some favorites, but here goes:

Elementary School
                          Chicago Field Museum - Dinosaurs, mummies, animals (specifically The Ghost and the Darkness lions), and all other kinds of good stuff
                          QUOTE]

That's my answer too, I loved going to the Chicago Field Museum. For some reason it always seemed that my mom would make me a homemade roast beef sandwich for my lunch that day, no clue why it wound up that way! But to this day if I eat a roast beef on white bread with mayo it instantly makes me think of the museum. Weird, I know haha! But I think we wound up going to the Field Museum at least once a year between 3rd Grade and 8th Grade.

My 8th Grade trip though was a combination of Lincoln Park Zoo and Chinatown. I don't have any really strong memories other than kinda keeping to myself the whole time and walking through the zoo listening to "Blizzard Of Ozz" and "Bark At The Moon" by Ozzy on my Walkman the whole time, lol.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

This is the Greatest Field Trip Ever. In fact, that guy leaning on the logo is hot. So much so, they made a figure of him:

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

We went to a lot of places including local TV stations and the Zoo in Evansville. But, I think that my favorite field trip took place about 70 miles away at Lincoln State Park and Abraham Lincoln's Boyhood Home (National Park). Lincoln grew up there. Living there from age 7 to age 21. The log cabin and farm are still there along with the family cemetery were Nancy Hanks Lincoln,amongst others, is buried. And, Lincoln State Park,that's next to it, is a lot of fun, as well. It was a neat spring time field trip.

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Allie Fox
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 1, 2009

Growing up on Long Island was possibly one of the best places for youthful field trips.

NYC: Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Twin Towers, Grand Central Station, Bronx Zoo, Museum of (take your pick). . .

Tarrytown: home of the headless horseman, Sagamore Hill: home of TR, Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Fire Island Sunken Forest, Montauk Point, Connecticut's Mystic Seaport

My favorite place was Old Bethpage Village Restoration. It was simply a lot of fun and I loved getting as many flavors of candy sticks as I could afford at the General Store.
                                If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎