Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your favorite field trip in school ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

What was your favorite field trip in school ?

Field trips days were always the best days in grade school, there were always a couple field trips each school year. As our daughter went through grade school they hardly seem to take them and always made me wonder why. I remember in 4th grade we went to Schoenbrunn Village .

http://www.ohiosfirstvillage.com/?page=3

It was enough fun that even as time has passed and we have been years removed from school we have gone back several times.
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Heh heh. This should be an interesting thread for me. I make my living in the Field Trip business.

I guess the one that stands out to me is a lot like yours, Ben. The Genesee Country Village and Museum was sort of a local Colonial Williamsburg. The smell of those stone fireplaces, creaky old houses, and watching the blacksmith work is the stuff that stays with you. As is the case with most experiential learning.

Originally posted by wayne foundation 07
    As our daughter went through grade school they hardly seem to take them and always made me wonder why.
    Money. You'd be surprised how much the bus transportation costs in relation to the field trip itself. Also, State Standards and Common Core have made schools adhere strictly to very inside-the-box learning strategies. Education is in a creativity crisis right now, but that's another thread.

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Going to see Ray Bradbury speak. One of the few that I remember to this day.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Sea World in Aurora and Roscoe Village were memorable, but the best was Cleveland's Museum of Art. I've been there several times and it never fails to educate, move, or inspire me.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• FETT1
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 4, 2012

any field was a goOD one...NO SCHOoL .....
          if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

• FETT1
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 4, 2012

Originally posted by Iron Mego
            Going to see Ray Bradbury speak. One of the few that I remember to this day.
            WHOAAAAA...COoL !!
            if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

I drive a bus in the Houston Tx area. Lots of destinations. I see lots of schools that trip and some that just don't. Sometimes it is the teachers not knowing where they can go or even how to set up the trip. Other times the school just doesn't push it. I know 1 middle school that won't allow the students to go anywhere with water.

CCC.

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

In the 8th Grade we sold Tupperware to pay for a trip to Washington D.C. My greatest highlight was seeing the USS Enterprise hanging in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Well, I've been on both sides of the fence. I've been on field trips as a kid, and a teacher. As a kid, we had 17 field trips in 4th grade alone. No, I'm not kidding, we actually went on 17 of them. Sometimes our teacher's husband would come along, take photos and make slides. Then he'd come to school w/ his slide projector and our teacher would give us cookies or popcorn while we watched, so that was cool. But I always liked going to the Hayden Planetarium, Times Square, The Empire State Bldg, The Burlington Mill (that was just a quick pass through on our way to wherever), going to see the Alvin Ailey Dancers, or going to see Santa at Macy's.

In 6th grade we sold cookies and Dunkin Donuts Munchkins to pay for a trip to Philedelphia. Seeing the Liberty Bell was pretty cool!

As an adult taking kids on field trips when I taught day camp, I loved going to Waterworld and Six Flags.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Marvelmania
                    A Ray of Sunshine
                    • Jun 17, 2001

Biltmore Gardens. That place was HUGE not to mention beautiful. Never seen anything like that place before or since.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

Museum of Natural History in New York and Sagamore Hill, home of President Theodore Roosevelt, here on Long Island. His den was about the size of my house...literally. Beautiful home and estate. Recently it has been refurbished and I want to go back just to see what has been done. Oh and one more...the Vanderbilt Planetarium.

Comment

• Rallygirl
                        Kitsch rules!
                        • May 31, 2008

In all my years of school, I only went on seven field trips and they all sucked. My husband's school district took them to museums in Chicago, Detroit, and Washington DC. They also went on four day camp trips. Who knows how many awesome day trips they got. What did we get?

My 10th grade science class walked to the waste water treatment plant for a tour.

My 8th grade social studies class toured a pop bottling plant as part of Junior Achievement. Even less fun than the sewage plant. We also got to go to a water park during the last week of school. HOWEVER, the park rules were "no glasses outside of the changing rooms". I cannot see my hand in front of face, so I sat on a bench for six hours because I couldn't move without tripping, falling, or walking into something.

In third grade, my class went to Windmill Island, our local cheesy tourist trap.

In fourth grade, we spent two days, one in the spring and one in the fall, on all day hikes. Again, really not fun!

But the highlight was in Kindergarten when the K-3 building went to the House of Dark Shadows,...a local haunted house attraction. I cannot begin to tell you how many children either went home with wet pants or were simply scarred for life. What kind of teachers take 6 year olds to a haunted house?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Fitski
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 19, 2013

We had an 8th grade trip 4 day trip to Ottawa that was really great. Other years it was Marineland, BlueJays games, Toronto Zoo, African Lions Safari, Chinatown, Ontario Place.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Hooters.

Comment

• Fitski
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 19, 2013

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              Hooters.
                              I went there too but it was take your kid to work day

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎