Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Kenner credited for creating the 3 3/4 scale?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Why is Kenner credited for creating the 3 3/4 scale?

I've read multiple times and even heard in toy documentaries how Kenner designers created the 3 3/4 scale action figure for Star Wars when it's total BS.

Fisher Price Adventure people came out in 1975, and Mego Comic Action Heroes came out in 1976, both long before Star Wars even hit theaters, let alone the figures which didn't appear until 1978.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Not to mention Microman in '74.

People don't do their research, to many websites and blogs, not getting Star Wars killed Mego, Star Wars created 3 3/4" and was also the first merchandising blitz based on a movie (Apes takes that crown).
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
      GL of Mego Sector
      • Oct 8, 2007

I think people credit them with the idea of swinging us into what would become the standard for action figures for a long time, comic action heros are really the start of it all, but they aren't as iconic, I mean I agree they are wrong in crediting them, I just think that is their thought process.
      No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I think it's how it's expressed that gets lost in translation by those that carry that perspective to others. The Star Wars line transformed the industry that had used the eight inch scale for television and movie characters. And while Mego did try to keep the 8 inch and 12 inch scale alive to some degree, the 3 3/4 inch line really became the standard in an effort to mimic the Star Wars popularity. I know it well. I watched it evaporate as a kid after the Kenner line hit. But the scale itself had already been around in plenty of other properties and companies long before Star Wars. Kenner was just in the right place at the right time. And with demand being so insane, the 3 3/4 inch scale was the most logical recourse to explore that universe with figures and play sets.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I think we can blame Steve Sansweet for perpetuating that myth. It was in his 1993 book Star Wars From Concept to Collectible, where he recounts a Kenner employee, seeing the need for them to fit into vehicles who (as legend has it) widened his thumb and index finger to approximately 3.75" and said, "Let's make the this big". How true that tale is, or if that Kenner employee knew of, or was influenced by Adventure People and Comic Action Heroes is all speculation. But that's the story.

I think credit does go to Kenner though, for successfully making it the standard. I'm sure Adventure People sales and Comic Action Hero sales were but a fraction of the Star Wars profits.

For the record, I personally do believe there is some truth to the story. It was the vehicles that were the impetus for the scale of the vehicles. Kenner knew an 8 or 12 inch scale figure would require vehicles of cost prohibitive proportions.

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Hedji
            I think we can blame Steve Sansweet for perpetuating that myth. It was in his 1993 book Star Wars From Concept to Collectible, where he recounts a Kenner employee, seeing the need for them to fit into vehicles who (as legend has it) widened his thumb and index finger to approximately 3.75" and said, "Let's make the this big". How true that tale is, or if that Kenner employee knew of, or was influenced by Adventure People and Comic Action Heroes is all speculation. But that's the story.

I think credit does go to Kenner though, for successfully making it the standard. I'm sure Adventure People sales and Comic Action Hero sales were but a fraction of the Star Wars profits.

For the record, I personally do believe there is some truth to the story. It was the vehicles that were the impetus for the scale of the vehicles. Kenner knew an 8 or 12 inch scale figure would require vehicles of cost prohibitive proportions.
            Agreed. Also, the story goes, that Mego passed on Star Wars in favor of Star Trek, probably because they already had Trek figures. I like to believe that had Mego survived, the offering of Trek figures would be much better than they are today. Both ERTL and Galoob made good efforts but failed to follow through, and Playmates was a joke in spite of itself.

CCC.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

I always think of the little Legends of the West figures by Empire and Excel as the first 1:18 scale. Not sure if they were before the FP ones, tho.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Perhaps it is a matter of semantics. SW was certainly insanely popular and thus set the pace for the industry. So maybe not necessarily creating the scale, but defining it and cementing it's place in popularity.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

Little Legends by Excel hit shelves in 1973.

Comment

• starsky
                    veteran member
                    • Aug 26, 2007

definitely can't be true. someone's posted pics of kenner using fisher price little people as prototypes /mock ups of star wars characters for toy fair. can someone repost that photo?

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 13, 2009

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

Such an awesome pic

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, those are full of win. It could be possible though, that those were mocked up after the scale was suggested.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

They obviously didn't create it. But they certainly popularized it.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• acrovader
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 19, 2011

The success of the Star Wars toys helped popularize the 3.75" action figure.
                              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎