Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The men who destroyed super hero comics...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
    ^So basically this just reinforces my belief that kids today have no taste or common sense.
    I'm sorry but what is it about that comment above that elicits such a dismissive and vitriolic response like this? My kids read those comics and I think they're fantastic and many better written than any 70s Marvel and DC.

Do you feel the medium has to be contained as Superheroes to be valid?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
      I'm sorry but what is it about that comment above that elicits such a dismissive and vitriolic response like this? My kids read those comics and I think they're fantastic and many better written than any 70s Marvel and DC.

Do you feel the medium has to be contained as Superheroes to be valid?
      No, but the title of the thread is talking about superhero comics specifically.

I read some Bone comics. Nonsensical garbage IMO. But apparently kids like it. I guess I'm just completely out of touch with today's kids. I don't understand them or why they like some of the things they do.
      Last edited by enyawd72; Apr 30, '15, 7:11 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

No, but the title of the thread is talking about superhero comics specifically.
        And the comment was raised that children have no access to comics, which isn't true. They do read comics but it comes in different formats and isn't all about capes. As a parent, I can attest to this and I believe it's a good thing.

I read some Bone comics. Nonsensical garbage IMO. But apparently kids like it. I guess I'm just completely out of touch with today's kids. I don't understand them or why they like some of the things they do.
        I probably dislike many things you adore but I'd never go as far to attack or belittle you for it. Bone is a celebrated comic that for many is the gateway to reading and lifelong love of the medium, i find it strange how it was dismissed so angrily. It's part of the solution, not the problem.

While I think this discussion has many excellent points, when you start with the "kids have no common sense these days" it veers off in the direction of "cranky old people saying it was better in their day" and we should fight that as long as we can.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I wasn't trying to attack or belittle anything. I just personally don't like Bone. I guess I just don't get it.
          As far as being a cranky old guy...okay, you got me there.

I'll work on being less crotchety.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

I'll work on being less crotchety.
            Well that's a battle we're all facing I'm afraid, self included.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Let's not forget Miller's run on DD is the reason he got a secret wars figure.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

I wonder if there is a place for "retro style" comics these days?
                Why not have a "best of both worlds" offering, with dark, gritty superhero comics on one side, and more clear cut and uplifting old-school ones on the other side?
                Giving us an easier choice.
                I had my fill of modern comics and gave up on them, which is a shame. I'd love to keep on reading new comics, and not just re-reading old ones. But I just couldn't stomach the onslaught of "death, loss and reboots" on offer today. I need a balance of both, and not a strict diet of "we're all gonna die!!!!!" storytelling.
                It's like Doctor Who. I like the new style of more serious storytelling, but now and then you just want the Cybermen to invade Earth saying "We will defeat all of humanity!!!!"
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Escapism.
                  Yes!

When I was a kid I loved comics, because reading a comic gives you a special kind of privacy from the rest of the world - you sit in a corner and peak into a universe.

But when we were kids the best way to visit the superhero world was through comics - now superhero stuff is everywhere. It's toys, games, cartoons, movies...

I think one of the things that changed is that superhero comics aren't the special little portals they were when we were kids.

I think that's one of the reasons "Bone" and some of the other non-superhero comics samurainoir mentioned are popular now. You might not personally enjoy "Bone", but I believe one of the reasons my nieces re-read their beloved, dog-eared copies over and over is because there's only one way to visit that world. It's special the same way my comics were special to me when I was a kid.

Comment

• Hexigore
                    • Jun 2, 2015

Hi, I am new to the forum, but I just wanted to say this is a fantastic thread. I am so impressed with both sides of this debate. Everyone has been tremendously thoughtful, insightful, and civil. On a lot of forums, that is usually not the case. It devolves into name-calling and other stupidity rapidly.
                    IMO, I think comics have lost their way. The money paid out for the comic does not equal the reward. This has been going on since the late 80's and I really cannot stand it anymore. I collected books for over 30 years. They were a fantastic escape for me with beautiful colors and art and imagination. They are not like that anymore. The good guys don't always win. . .sometimes, you don't know who the good guys even are. The stories aren't very engaging. The writers seem to be stepping all over their character as they try to communicate whatever socio-economic-political statement they are trying to make. And the artwork has become lackluster. Most of the major storylines aren't for kids (assuming they can even afford a comic). I am saddened and aggravated by this. I go to comic book conventions just to fill gaps or find a rare book here or there. But I don't follow anything modern. I am sure today's books have their merits. I just don't know what they are. I feel sort of like Dr. Wertham when he wrote The Seduction of the Innocent. He may not have understood the value of comics back in the 1950's when he wrote his book and almost caused the destruction of the comic book industry. I don't want to see them destroyed, but I just don't get why they had to become so politically oriented, or socially oriented, or gender-sensitive oriented, etc.. I'm old. Just plain old. Thanks for tolerating my rant.

Once again, great topic and an even greater debate.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

^I'm the OP...Thank you, and welcome to the boards!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

[QUOTE=samurainoir;1211155]we live in a world where Lynda Carter and Adam West now star in their own DC Comics, and if we're unhappy with the past two decades, there are quite literally 100 years worth of comics content available to us with a couple of clicks. If this isn't the new Golden Age, I don't know what is.

That's How I feel, I've been frequenting my shop again as of late to pick up up Batman 66 and I got that WW 77 book.....I do pick a few books here and there just to see what's happening. I agree this is a good time for comics, there is such a variety of stuff now more than ever; not just the same old same old. I may not spend like I use to, but I now have better choices for myself and my daughter, who is very happy with her my little ponies, skylanders and Archie comics.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Me am so unhappy. Me not read new Batmite and Bizarro Comics from DC. Me not recommend you read them.

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

That Bat-Mite book looks awesome. I particularly like the constipated drag queen with dumbo ears dressed as Wonder Woman.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Bizarro looks like the only thing I would even consider picking up from the DCU at this point. And that I will trade wait since comic stores are at least 30 minutes or so from the house now.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

^ I'm always terrified something will go uncollected in a trade,m but that's probably unfounded in today's market.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎