Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The men who destroyed super hero comics...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

and I don't really think it's accurate to represent Batman as necessarily a twenty or thirty year slide into darkness. Sometimes it's a pendulum over that period and now it's a continuum. There is quite literally a product for every age of Batman fan existing simultaneously.

would you have believed it in the nineties if someone told you that a Batman based primarily on the Dick Sprang years would last two seasons and bring BLUE/GRAY Batman back to the Toy Shelves?

If only this sold as well as the New 52 Batman books (which are DC's top sellers, and the reason why Bat-family books will increase). But they do listen and they do try. YOu have to give them credit for that.

I'm shocked that Lego Batman does not have a comic book. But then, why would DC's publishing arm want to split BAtman money with Lego?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

"Why can't they make comics like they did when I was a kid? I LOVED Neal Adams Batman comics. Why can't Neal Adams do a Batman comic again?"

and DC went and did that. and folks still weren't happy. But given the 40 years in between, I don't think there was any way DC could have met any kind of expectations. Same with any legendary comics creator and the characters they are best known for. On the one hand, why bother doing it if you are just giving more of the same, on the other, you do something different and it will be compared to the original. Sometimes it's best to leave it alone and hand it off to the next generation. Same thing goes with Fandom I think. Let them have their New 52. I've got a pile of back issues from the 70's and 80's that I love, and it's cool discovering all kinds of stuff that I hadn't read before from that that era that are suddenly readily available to me via collected print trades or comixology.
      Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 27, '15, 2:53 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

The problem that DC ran into with Odyssey is that it took about a year between the initial 1 - 6 and then the 2nd par of 1 - 7. I don't think Adams really grasped what he was getting into when he took the assignment from DC. BTW, art was OK...but not even close to Adams of the past.

I agree that the comic book form is basically going the way of the Graphic Novel or trade/hardcover format. Problem is the companies are going without a fight because they know that they can still sell both the individual issues and the trade/hardcover to the same customer in some instances. That's why they release a complete trade/hardcover of story arcs and mini series or maxi series about 2 week after then end of said series or arc. PURE GREED...and they get away with it. I don't even bother with mini's or maxi's anymore. I just say to myself that the half price trade and hardcover sellers will have them at the next con I go to and 9 times out of 10 I am right.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Samurai - you're completely right on the distribution, but that shows there is no real justification for issue prices to be so incredibly unpegged from inflation, which started at the same time in the80's, other than a dwindling market.

You and a few others would certainly know better than I do, but I want to know what the associated costs are for 5 bucks an issue. Piracy is certainly a bleeder, but It's more of a killer for smaller publishers than Marvel/DC who can scrub the comic division losses with ancillary dollars or as film/TV developmental. You can't make Avengers money and claim the House of Ideas is strapped at the same time.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Batman: Odyssey was a disaster for the aforementioned reasons as well as the fact that Adams modern artwork is even more hyper-stylized than it was in the 70s (and that's not a good thing in this case) AND he's NOT a writer. He really needed someone to reign in his weird interpretations of the characters.
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by hedrap
              Samurai - you're completely right on the distribution, but that shows there is no real justification for issue prices to be so incredibly unpegged from inflation, which started at the same time in the80's, other than a dwindling market.

You and a few others would certainly know better than I do, but I want to know what the associated costs are for 5 bucks an issue. Piracy is certainly a bleeder, but It's more of a killer for smaller publishers than Marvel/DC who can scrub the comic division losses with ancillary dollars or as film/TV developmental. You can't make Avengers money and claim the House of Ideas is strapped at the same time.
              so many more factors at work in addition to inflation.

The newsstand/drug store/convenience store/grocery store market (except for Archie digests at the checkout lines) was lost in the 70's and 80's because the limited space for a 50 cent comic was given over to the more profitably $2-3 glossy magazine.

Paper costs has always been cited as a huge factor every time they try and justify price hikes to the public. Particularly in the transition to glossy full colour process on higher quality paper across the past quarter century, as four colour newsprint went the way of the Dodo. It was inevitable as the periodical gave way to collectible object.

I truly believe the future of print comics is as "limited edition collectibles" once more... as true readers move to digital, all the tactile nonsense that can't be duplicated in digital re-emerges. Purposeful scarcity and novelty... with the variant program essentially subsidizing retailers income at this point (variants allocated based on number of copies ordered), and the recent successful return of the Hologram cover gimmick justifying a higher cover-price for an entire month of product from DC. Die Cut, Glow in the Dark, Foil, metallic and neon inks, all the bells an whistles that you can't download onto your iPad to keep the collectible market for comics going as a physical medium. But I digress.

At the end of the day, I don't know any comic book store that has survived based solely on new Comic Books (and many are even done with back-issues). Once that five dollar per issue pie is divided by publisher and Diamond as distributor, the retailer is still only making a couple of bucks at most per issue. The old style neighbourhood comic book store can't survive on those margins (which is why so many have closed by not letting go of the traditional model). Most have embraced toys, statues, apparel, and novelties with much higher price points and much more attractive margins (which makes up most of the back half of the Diamond catalogue these days). Others rely heavily on gaming... or a combination of both gaming and collectible merchandise.

There are fewer individual issues printed overall these days, which impacts costs greatly. Print runs of 15,000 on the lowest selling titles published by DC (in the Vertigo imprint), and the indie titles likely fall well under this, tapering off at around a few thousand as the point at which it's not worthwhile for Diamond to carry you any more. I believe Dave Sim reached this point with Glamourpuss when it was cancelled. Cost-per-issue is bound to be higher the lower your numbers. 150,000 was the cancellation threshold at one point at Marvel... I believe that is the number at which Power Man/Iron Fist was cancelled back in the day. Now, those are the best-selling titles, often spiked by the launch of a #1, followed by a decline and then a respike when they renumber/relaunch at #1 again. rinse. repeat.

and given that Marvel and DC Publishing are housed within giant corporate conglomerates. Who knows what creative accounting goes on internally? Particularly with all the cross-horizontal-integration that goes on across media. There are theories based around the fact that profits generated by publishing are merely a drop in the bucket compared to the larger picture of movies, TV, Video Games and licensing... so the real purpose of publishing at the end of the day is as R&D departments to generate IP's to be exploited in those more profitably areas. Which would seem be hold some truth given Winter Soldier or Civil War being turned around so quickly as cinematic fodder.

And it's not just paper costs right? We've seen the rising costs of gas impact all manner of products as transport costs increase. or the energy costs expended to manufacture anything in general.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 28, '15, 2:37 AM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

^ Didn't know that the vertigo stuff was that low of a print run. Just curious at where that number is? is there a site that gives these print run numbers?

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                  ^ Didn't know that the vertigo stuff was that low of a print run. Just curious at where that number is? is there a site that gives these print run numbers?
                  My understanding of many of the smaller Vertigo numbers for the most part, were basically operating at a loss, against the much larger and long-term viability of their trade paperback program (of which the majority of readers discovered Sandman, Preacher, Y the Last Man, Fables etc as trades rather than monthlies). Which is why the trades, particularly Vertigo's, came out right on the heels of the monthlies. Sandman and Preacher pretty much pioneered "waiting for the trades" mentality. It wasn't necessarily greed that spurred this on, but a necessity out of a revised business model that began including trades as part of the profit rubric (At least from the Vertigo imprint) to make up for their losses in the monthlies.

I was recalling numbers from a few years ago... it appears that the numbers have shrunk even more on the mid-range and lower end since I last had a good look at them.
                  March 2015 here...

as folks can see with the indy numbers... no one is charging $5 for a book out of greed. No one gets into comics expecting to be rich... and the payout from The Walking Dead is like winning the lottery vs all the indy creators out there in the salt mines. Of that $5, let's say half goes to the retailer, and then $2.50 gets split between Diamond, the publisher and the printing cost. Let's say fifty cents is the printing cost. So if the comic is selling 10-5,000 copies... and there is a buck or so profit. How much is an artist, inker, colourist and writer's page rate coming out of the publisher's end? Is it a licensed book? What's that cut? What are the expenses for running a business in general? Shipping, production, office rent, supplies, does the editor and other staff get a salary? Divided across how many staff and how many books being published?

after the top 25, everything is below the 50,000 range.

DC's Thresholds have apparently reached an all time low.
                  292 Klarion 6 $2.99 DC 5,091
                  290 Star Spangled War Stories Gi Zombie 8 $2.99 DC 5,125

All ages...
                  244 Scooby Doo Team Up 9 $2.99 DC 6,780

this one in particular is a bit of a shocker for me... TV Tie in, priced to intro new readers ground level
                  267 Izombie 1 Spec. Ed. $1.00 DC 6,077

the other media tie ins. Theoretically the books that SHOULD have walmart shelf space in trade form.
                  151 Batman 66 21 $2.99 DC 14,238
                  187 Flash Season Zero 6 $2.99 DC 10,188
                  206 Arrow Season 2.5 6 $2.99 DC 9,055

Vertigo here:
                  235 Wolf Moon 4 $3.99 DC 7,124
                  277 Coffin Hill 16 $2.99 DC 5,785

Vertigo's top seller
                  199 Fables The Wolf Among Us 3 $3.99 DC 9,352

Looks like Marvel's threshold is around the 10,000 mark
                  205 Marvel Universe Guardians of Galaxy 2 $2.99 Marvel 9,108
                  190 Deathlok 6 $3.99 Marvel 10,066
                  178 Dark Tower Drawing Three House Cards 1 $3.99 Marvel 11,107
                  172 Elektra 11 $3.99 Marvel 11,634
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 28, '15, 2:39 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Great subject Dwayne. When it comes to comics, my attitude has changed quite a bit in the past thirty years. Man...did I say thirty? Honestly, it has been that long since I could describe myself as an invested comic book fan. When you've lived on this planet fifty years, there's a number of concessions you begin to make for that time spent. You see so many things go through cycles that after a time, it becomes so repetitive you wonder what all the fuss is over. Then you look at the ones making the fuss and look in the mirror and realize some context needs to be applied before an opinion is formed about it's relevance. So when I examine the life history of comics, I have to realize that today's generation probably doesn't share the same sensibilities on the subject that people of my generation hold dear. And I think allot of that has to do with how the comic services that core audience today versus the generation I grew up in.

When I first started reading comics, Nixon had not been impeached yet, Rock Hudson was viewed as the quintessential alpha-male next to the Marlboro man, and the concept of a 12 year old girl being possessed or a shark attacking someone near a beach sounded more like a storyline for Scooby Doo or Jonny Quest. There were also entirely different sensibilities regarding social roles. It's a safe assessment that a cross section of adults in the late 60's and early 70's could not provide you with any meaningful details of a popular superhero outside of acknowledging maybe Adam West from Batman or perhaps Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger. The world of comic books, toys, and cartoons were relegated as dispensable entertainment assigned to anyone under the age of 12. There were no pervasive attitudes that a teenager or young man in his twenties would be seen as the a-typical follower of these products like they are today. Not even close. And yet, the adults were creating and writing this material for my generation. Therein lies the catch.

There's a safe bet that people like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did not grow up with the kind of colorful characters they created for my generation. Yet when Stan Lee created Spider-man, he wrote him as someone who was relatable instead of the one-dimensional heroes he grew up with. The same with the Fantastic Four. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did not paint them as the perfect family like Leave it to Beaver. He made them dysfunctional with allot of infighting stemming from their own insecurities. But the most important quality they brought to the panel graphic art form was a deliberate expression of wit and intelligence. Stan Lee understood the bias he faced on a professional level from his peers. Society viewed comic books as a byproduct of Disney with little to no value as an educational piece. In fact many viewed it as a contributor to juvenile delinquency. So Stan Lee made a deliberate effort to bring a social awareness and intelligence to the art form in response to those attitudes. And I think, in many ways, that kind of desire to remain relevant in the conversation remains at the heart of it's evolution to this day.

But like all generations, there lies a defining measure of values that distinguishes one from the other. Traditionalists likely didn't care for the ideas created by the Baby boomers, nor have Baby boomers probably embraced many concepts from Generation X. And the further you get down that line, the larger the divide. So as much as I agree with every single point Dwayne has referred to in his opening statement, I think ultimately today's comics are speaking to what this generation wants. Our generation is no longer a prominent piece in that equation, so our complaints and outrage no longer serves as valid feedback for those who plunk down the cash because it connects with them. Short answer: We're getting old. We've become our parents with the values we embraced.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                      Batman: Odyssey was a disaster for the aforementioned reasons as well as the fact that Adams modern artwork is even more hyper-stylized than it was in the 70s (and that's not a good thing in this case) AND he's NOT a writer. He really needed someone to reign in his weird interpretations of the characters.
                      Totally agree. I started buying the book but was forced to cancel it...Adams is a horrible writer and his art style has changed as well...not for the better.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Magenta
                        • Apr 21, 2013

I agree with the OP. I miss the fun in comics. What I do NOT want are gay characters, rape storylines etc. Leave that stuff out. Marvel for me died in 1998. I have not picked up a modern comic since and I will not.

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

Comic books used to sell at grocery and liquor stores and 7-11's now you have to visit a Comic shop to find them .The prices and the fact that video games and social media
                          became more important to kids while the comic collector's of 70's and 80's grew up and wanted grown up comics like Dark Knight returns, The Watchmen ,
                          The Crisis on infinite Earths etc. This created the 90'S and a huge mess called independant comics and eveybody was a copy .The Uncanny X-men that started in the 70's
                          Giant size X-men no. 1 was a good thing that kept some of us collecting while Moore and Miller was not kid friendly but more for old fan boys.Comics are now written for
                          Adults concered with who the Artist or Writer is over the charectors themselves.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by wise guy
                            Comic books used to sell at grocery and liquor stores and 7-11's now you have to visit a Comic shop to find them .
                            True Twenty years ago, but now you can download comics from anywhere with a few clicks on your phone, laptop or ipad. Bookstores, Walmart and Libraries have Graphic Novel sections now as well. In general, Amazon will deliver to your door with free shipping and discount off cover price. There are more comics in print, with more diversity than at any other point in all of comics publishing history. If you can't find comics, in particular for kids, you are not looking properly.

Schools still have the Scholastic Book Club... want to know what their best-selling comics looks like? Not Dad's floppy superhero comics. These comics are selling in the MILLIONS... as you can see by their sales figures, these are numbers that DC and Marvel should envy. Comics too expensive?! These are thick full colour glossy graphic novels with a spine and substantial page count for around ten bucks. Digest/Manga sized, for small hands.
                            Scholastic plans a year of special convention events and giveaways of special prints by top artists including Jeff Smith, Raina Telgemeier, and Kazu Kibuishi, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Graphix, its kids' graphic novel imprint.

Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 30, '15, 4:11 AM.

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

^So basically this just reinforces my belief that kids today have no taste or common sense.

Comment

• VintageMike
                                Permanent Member
                                • Dec 16, 2004

While some great points have been made I stick by what I said. Yes, there are other forms of comics kids are eating up. Yes there are a few bright spots. None of that IMO excuses poor decision making by people basically trying to do whatever they can to keep the metrics looking good for corporate. Obviously money has to , and should be made but I don't see why anyone in these companies can't come up with a five year plan instead of five month one. Yes times have changed, but that's part of any business. That's what it goes back to. The decision maker son the comics side, instead of coming with fresh ideas constantly go back to reboots, events and the like. What they don't realize is they have this idea that the hardcores will always be around. They won't. Every year another segment of fans is driven to their braking point and drops new comics. Depending on the outcome of "Convergence" and "Secret Wars" I may not far behind excepting Spider-Man which I will read 'til they put dirt on me.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎