Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The men who destroyed super hero comics...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

Here's a interesting situation.

Writer Christopher Priest in 2003 wrote/created the CREW. a super hero team based in Little Mogadishu, it consisted of War Machine, Kasper Cole (aka White tiger); Junta and Josiah X the "son" of Isaiah Bradley.

Josiah X was to have eventually lead the team, but several things happened.

A) Marvel told Priest that his book was CANCELLED before issue one came out.

B) the series lasted only seven issues.

C) Priest to date has not worked for Marvel since then, in fact he was hesitant to work for DC, but he has.

D) Marvel has not asked Priest to write anything since then. Marvel has pretty much BURIED the Crew, even though Ta-Nehisi (Paul) Coates
    had a CREW mini in 2017,but it featured NONE of the original members!!! My point exactly.

As we all know the Falcon has become one of many different CAPTAIN AMERICA's as last year we had the USA of Captain America mini series, representing a variety of Cap's. Kool, Nothing wrong with that

BUT in all the years since the Crew debuted, Josiah X (and JUNTA) have never reappeared anywhere. The last time I was in SD, at the Marvel Panel, I brought this up in front of Tom Brevoort & Axel Alonzo (when he was still there) in 2017 (or was it 2016??) They didn't appreciate the fact that I brought Josiah up and the fact that he was MUSLIM!!!! They gave me the "He will show up somewhere" speech and he hasn't.

Over the years I talked to Priest about this as I loved the series. It really did a number on him, he was Jacked up for that series and then to see the Falcon decked out in the red, white & Blue.

Black PC CAP vs. Black UNPC Cap.

In fact Isaiah Bradley isn't even mentioned anymore and isn't there a NEW PATRIOT now, replacing the one related to Isaiah, who was a member of Young Avengers???

Do the detective work yourselves and see.

Would be nice to one day see Steve Rogers & Josiah X in the Avengers together.
    Last edited by Jorge Galvan; May 21, '23, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
      Here's a interesting situation.

Writer Christopher Priest in 2003 wrote/created the CREW. a super hero team based in Little Mogadishu, it consisted of War Machine, Kasper Cole (aka White tiger); Junta and Josiah X the "son" of Isaiah Bradley.

Josiah X was to have eventually lead the team, but several things happened.

A) Marvel told Priest that his book was CANCELLED before issue one came out.

B) the series lasted only seven issues.

C) Priest to date has not worked for Marvel since then, in fact he was hesitant to work for DC, but he has.

D) Marvel has not asked Priest to write anything since then. Marvel has pretty much BURIED the Crew, even though Ta-Nehisi (Paul) Coates
      had a CREW mini in 2017,but it featured NONE of the original members!!! My point exactly.

As we all know the Falcon has become one of many different CAPTAIN AMERICA's as last year we had the USA of Captain America mini series, representing a variety of Cap's. Kool, Nothing wrong with that

BUT in all the years since the Crew debuted, Josiah X (and JUNTA) have never reappeared anywhere. The last time I was in SD, at the Marvel Panel, I brought this up in front of Tom Brevoort & Axel Alonzo (when he was still there) in 2017 (or was it 2016??) They didn't appreciate the fact that I brought Josiah up and the fact that he was MUSLIM!!!! They gave me the "He will show up somewhere" speech and he hasn't.

Over the years I talked to Priest about this as I loved the series. It really did a number on him, he was Jacked up for that series and then to see the Falcon decked out in the red, white & Blue.

Black PC CAP vs. Black UNPC Cap.

In fact Isaiah Bradley isn't even mentioned anymore and isn't there a NEW PATRIOT now, replacing the one related to Isaiah, who was a member of Young Avengers???

Do the detective work yourselves and see.

Would be nice to one day see Steve Rogers & Josiah X in the Avengers together.
      Priest has done a lot of work for Marvel since then. He wrote one of the stories in King Size Conan #1 which was released in 2021, wrote a US Agent mini in 2021, wrote a story in Marvel Comics #1000 in 2019, the Spider-Force mini in 2019, wrote a troy in the 2018 Black Panther Annual, an Inhumans mini in 2017, a Deadpool story in 2014, a Hulk story in 2012, oh and right after the Crew was cancelled, he launched a new series for Marvel featuring Captain America and the Falcon in 2004. So at least one aspect of your own detective work and premise is inaccurate. He hasn't worked on a regular ongoing series for them since, but for a lot of those years he was pursuing opportunities outside of comics and wasn't doing regular ongoing series for anyone, but he has done a lot of short series and one-shot stories for them spanning almost all of the year in between. So the idea that he won't work for Marvel or that they won't ask him to do anything is just plain wrong. All it takes is a simple search on the Grand Comics Database of all credits for Priest in chronological order and you can see a steady stream of credits by him for Marvel from 2003 to the present.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
        Career Member
        • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by MRP
        Priest has done a lot of work for Marvel since then. He wrote one of the stories in King Size Conan #1 which was released in 2021, wrote a US Agent mini in 2021, wrote a story in Marvel Comics #1000 in 2019, the Spider-Force mini in 2019, wrote a troy in the 2018 Black Panther Annual, an Inhumans mini in 2017, a Deadpool story in 2014, a Hulk story in 2012, oh and right after the Crew was cancelled, he launched a new series for Marvel featuring Captain America and the Falcon in 2004. So at least one aspect of your own detective work and premise is inaccurate. He hasn't worked on a regular ongoing series for them since, but for a lot of those years he was pursuing opportunities outside of comics and wasn't doing regular ongoing series for anyone, but he has done a lot of short series and one-shot stories for them spanning almost all of the year in between. So the idea that he won't work for Marvel or that they won't ask him to do anything is just plain wrong. All it takes is a simple search on the Grand Comics Database of all credits for Priest in chronological order and you can see a steady stream of credits by him for Marvel from 2003 to the present.

-M

I stand corrected. Sort of.

I never set out to look up his complete catalog. I took the man on his own word. Over the years at either Wizard or SD. SO... If he tells me something, why would I doubt him(?) and then go (behind his back) and look up his biography? That wouldn't be very righteous of me, would it?

Since you looked him up, Did you check this out from 9/19/2011????

"I won't write pitches for comics anymore. Hire me, don't hire me, but I won't go through that ridiculous process anymore. What publishers should do is hire the guy, the way the movies hire a guy, and pay him while he is in the development process. Don't lead him around by his nose, don't steal his ideas and run with somebody else-both of which have happened to me. If you believe in a creative talent, invest in him. We Want You. We Want You To Come Up With An Idea and We'll Pay Your Rent While You Do It. I've been out of the loop so long, I don't know if that actually happens, but it should."

If Priest tells me or someone else something he did or didn't do, am I gonna tell him, No, you're liar! ?????

I told ya Marvel did a Number on him!

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
          I stand corrected. Sort of.

I never set out to look up his complete catalog. I took the man on his own word. Over the years at either Wizard or SD. SO... If he tells me something, why would I doubt him(?) and then go (behind his back) and look up his biography? That wouldn't be very righteous of me, would it?

Since you looked him up, Did you check this out from 9/19/2011????

"I won't write pitches for comics anymore. Hire me, don't hire me, but I won't go through that ridiculous process anymore. What publishers should do is hire the guy, the way the movies hire a guy, and pay him while he is in the development process. Don't lead him around by his nose, don't steal his ideas and run with somebody else-both of which have happened to me. If you believe in a creative talent, invest in him. We Want You. We Want You To Come Up With An Idea and We'll Pay Your Rent While You Do It. I've been out of the loop so long, I don't know if that actually happens, but it should."

If Priest tells me or someone else something he did or didn't do, am I gonna tell him, No, you're liar! ?????

I told ya Marvel did a Number on him!
          I would think if you are telling people to do the detective work, it would only be fair to expect you to do the detective work to verify your assertions as well. It's hypocrisy not to. And, I love Priest's work, I don't know the person, but if he thinks Hollywood doesn't ask for pitches on some projects before deciding which writers to hire, he's either delusional or misinformed. And considering everything we are learning in the wake of the WGA strike, I would not look to Hollywood as any kind of paragon on how to treat writers with respect. The list of writers/directors actors. etc. screwed by Hollywood is near endless. They all had a number down one them.

I have no doubt Marvel did a number on Priest. They did a number on Kirby, but DC mistreated a number of creators as well beginning with Siegel and Shuster, and then there's the deal they made with Bob Kane that screwed Bill Finger and every other creator who worked on Batman under him. Not justifying it, not defending it, but it is part and parcel of the comics industry since day 1, and the likelihood of it changing is nil unless something in the very fabric of the industry itself changes. But all attempts to unionize or organize or formulate a creators bill of rights have failed because there have always been others willing to tow the company line, cross picket lines, and collect paychecks or work on the IP the companies own.

If you want to highlight how Priest was wronged, good on you. Don't stop there. Call every entertainment company out for every creator who had a number done on them. It might require some actual effort into detective work into the matter rather than spreading hearsay and gossip though.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• danadoll
            Micronaut Nut!
            • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Dana,

While I sympathize, I don't block. I want to know exactly who the haters are, because they're coming after us faster than ever both in our faces and behind our backs. "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."
            Sent you a PM.

Best,

Dana
            Last edited by danadoll; May 28, '23, 3:36 PM.
            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

This thread is too civil. I need to pull out my big wooden spoon and start stirring this pot!!

Modern comics have definitely gone too far from the simple escapist times of my childhood. Things have gone from black and white to so gray, I can't make out who is the good guy and who's the bad guy. Were the horror-film darkness and absolute terrorizing of a helpless orphan boy signs of a mature story in 'Red Water Crimson Death'?!? My Joker is goofy prankster. NOT the deeply depraved psychopath viciously killing 5 mafia goons in 'The Joker's 5-Way Revenge'?!? Whatever happened to the simple thrills of Mogo, the Bat-Ape?

Escapism died when comics started constantly forcing their modern "values' down my throat just to try and sell a more books. I'm trying to get escape from reality. Do we really need the "realism" of drug addiction brought into my green fantasy world? I'm all for representation but does every comic has to have a minority character like Sam Wilson or Luke Cage going on about the lack of opportunity in the ghetto. Do I really need the Falcon preaching to me via Captain America about how I/Cap doesn't know how hard it is to grow up in Harlem? And I'm no misogynist, but what was wrong with The Wasp always commenting on how hunky Thor is is focusing on her fashion. Fortunately, Marvel only forced her as chairperson of the Avengers for short time. Don't even get me started on Carol Danvers being "Ms." Marvel instead of "Miss" Marvel. A clear gimmick to try and diversify readership!
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• hizzy
                Museum Super Collector
                • Apr 1, 2023

I miss the escapism, especially the psychedelic, cosmic vibes. I always liked weird stuff like this

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by wee67
                  this thread is too civil. I need to pull out my big wooden spoon and start stirring this pot!!

Modern comics have definitely gone too far from the simple escapist times of my childhood. Things have gone from black and white to so gray, i can't make out who is the good guy and who's the bad guy. Were the horror-film darkness and absolute terrorizing of a helpless orphan boy signs of a mature story in 'red water crimson death'?!? My joker is goofy prankster. Not the deeply depraved psychopath viciously killing 5 mafia goons in 'the joker's 5-way revenge'?!? Whatever happened to the simple thrills of mogo, the bat-ape?

Escapism died when comics started constantly forcing their modern "values' down my throat just to try and sell a more books. I'm trying to get escape from reality. Do we really need the "realism" of drug addiction brought into my green fantasy world? I'm all for representation but does every comic has to have a minority character like sam wilson or luke cage going on about the lack of opportunity in the ghetto. Do i really need the falcon preaching to me via captain america about how i/cap doesn't know how hard it is to grow up in harlem? And i'm no misogynist, but what was wrong with the wasp always commenting on how hunky thor is is focusing on her fashion. Fortunately, marvel only forced her as chairperson of the avengers for short time. Don't even get me started on carol danvers being "ms." marvel instead of "miss" marvel. A clear gimmick to try and diversify readership!
                  amen, brother and don't get me started on "coach clayton!"
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Wee67
                    This thread is too civil. I need to pull out my big wooden spoon and start stirring this pot!!

Modern comics have definitely gone too far from the simple escapist times of my childhood. Things have gone from black and white to so gray, I can't make out who is the good guy and who's the bad guy. Were the horror-film darkness and absolute terrorizing of a helpless orphan boy signs of a mature story in 'Red Water Crimson Death'?!? My Joker is goofy prankster. NOT the deeply depraved psychopath viciously killing 5 mafia goons in 'The Joker's 5-Way Revenge'?!? Whatever happened to the simple thrills of Mogo, the Bat-Ape?

Escapism died when comics started constantly forcing their modern "values' down my throat just to try and sell a more books. I'm trying to get escape from reality. Do we really need the "realism" of drug addiction brought into my green fantasy world? I'm all for representation but does every comic has to have a minority character like Sam Wilson or Luke Cage going on about the lack of opportunity in the ghetto. Do I really need the Falcon preaching to me via Captain America about how I/Cap doesn't know how hard it is to grow up in Harlem? And I'm no misogynist, but what was wrong with The Wasp always commenting on how hunky Thor is is focusing on her fashion. Fortunately, Marvel only forced her as chairperson of the Avengers for short time. Don't even get me started on Carol Danvers being "Ms." Marvel instead of "Miss" Marvel. A clear gimmick to try and diversify readership!
                    ISWYDT. Touché!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Wee67

Don't forget what they did with Wonder Woman. She should have stuck to taking notes at JSA meetings.

Comment

• hizzy
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Apr 1, 2023

At the risk of sounding silly, I find comic book renumbering to be a deterrent to buying new books. Diverse characters in books, sure! I don't see the problem. But how is Daredevil 12 coming out next month? This must be the 4th Daredevil 12. That's sacrilege.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎