Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Not my cup of tea, but these movies seldom are. I doubt I'll live to see another DC film I enjoy or find artistically appealing.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Random Axe
      Trust me Hue, I'm pretty hacked off a the treatment of Supes, this Joker pic just sent me completely off the rails I was precariously balancing on.

Snyderizing to me is taking something and, without necessity or public demand, modernizing it to appeal to a demographic that would have purchased a ticket regardless. It takes little skill to make a dark, gritty action story cool. The real talent is taking something inherently goofy, an alien in a blue suit with red underwear on the outside of his pants, and making THAT cool. We've already seen how that can be done, it's not impossible. A talented writer, a talented director can mold the nerdiest of subject matter into something both compelling and interesting. Exhibit A: The Incredibles. Had WB approached their universe from the fun side and made something sort of faithful to the source material, they would have so much more room for expansion of other characters and stories. Instead we get a Muscle and Fitness cover model putting on a suit and doing some sulking and screaming.

I'm ranting and I shouldn't. Nothing I write anywhere on Earth can change the course WB is on, and I might be totally off base, but from all the negativity I've already read the past couple of days tells me I'm likely not alone in thinking that Warners and DC have utterly failed on many levels and have ignored the remaining levels they could use for some sort of redemption.

I'm a HUGE Superman fan and did not watch MoS in theaters because I thought it looked like ****. I rented the bluray and confirmed it was ****. I fully expect b v s to be doubled up on the **** factor. Not sure if they are still planning on releasing this the same weekend as Civil War, but you can be damn sure which film I'd rather see that day.
      David Ayer, the writer of Training Day is the writer for this one. Ayer is also the director. I'm gonna be bold here and say that Suicide Squad will be the best DC live-action movie to hit the big screen.

While reading your post this morning, it struck me that Snyder likely wasn't directing this, as it's fast approaching, and Snyder has bigger fish to fry.

While having Ayer as the head-dude driving this movie is comforting----he's the writer too---so he's bound to be "less of a pawn" to WB---be his "own man", that kind of thing----still, I think WB has been heavily involved in steering all these DC movies from behind their executive/corporate desks, and I don't think its a coincidence that a real-life rock musician was cast as the Joker after the successful Ledger Joker was touted as being somewhat modeled after an iconic "punk rock attitude" archetype.

So, that's my guess (and only a guess) why there's a little piece of (as you described) "taking something and, without necessity or public demand, modernizing it to appeal to a demographic that would have purchased a ticket regardless" and a little hedging their bets by mimicking Dark Knight/Ledger in this project's gameplan---Hedji mentioned that people are looking for something "different" and that'll sell tickets---and I respectfully have to disagree.

For Leto's Joker, it's the familiar "today's generation outcast/rebel trappings" and the subtle recognizability of Ledger's take on the Joker character underlying Leto's performance that'll sell tickets.

That, and what I predict to be a good job by Ayer, that is.

I have a lot of hope that if the writer of Training Day is writing and directing Suicide Squad, that it'll be a cool movie.
      Last edited by huedell; Apr 25, '15, 10:29 AM.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

De Niro was a better Joker......lol

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

Facebook seems to have gone into melt down over the look of Leto's Joker. Lol. Anyone remember the fuss over Ben Affleck as Batman. You don't hear much moaning now the trailer is out.

Comment

• MegoSteve
            Superman's Pal
            • Jun 17, 2005

My favorite comment was posted on Kotaku:

"oh wow I can tell this version of the Joker is a real bad dude because his origin story involves falling into a vat of hot topic"

Comment

• MegoSteve
              Superman's Pal
              • Jun 17, 2005

Of course, I'm one of the few people who hate Heath Ledger's Joker mostly because of all the grubby, disgusting cosplayers it inspired.

Comment

• kept back
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 2, 2002

10697132_10155496476760597_5948689363299530382_o.jpg

I dunno...I think he pairs well with Affleck.
                Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Playing devil's advocate.

I hate it, but maybe History will look back at DC's films as being "edgier" and more "risky" than the corporate-developed formulaic Marvel films.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                    Playing devil's advocate.

I hate it, but maybe History will look back at DC's films as being "edgier" and more "risky" than the corporate-developed formulaic Marvel films.
                    To that I say:

IMHO, history will look back on this time period as Marvel knowing what to do with their properties overall w/DC just trying to keep up & panicking into error with sloppy projects instead of more well-thought out strategies.

A Joker that has tattoos and bad teeth will have little negative impact except for some pre-SS release hub-bub, as this Joker is "formulaic" part-Nolan-Ledger/part-quasi-modern-thug. If SUICIDE'S SQUAD sensibilities are a FRACTION of what Training Day's were, this Joker's gonna do alright
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Marilyn Manson IS the Joker... ...

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

This is just bad.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

The teeth don't bother me as much as the tattoos. I just don't think they are needed. I can understand him having the teeth. After all of the years of Batman either punching him in the mouth or kicking him in the teeth with a Batboot,I'm sure he's going to need some dental work.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                              "You complete me."

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                                Career Member
                                • Jan 13, 2009