Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captcarl74
    • Feb 28, 2014

How to remove hands?

What's the best way to remove the hands and wrist peg on the later version Mego figures with plastic pins? I'd like to take the hands with wrist pegs off one figure and put them on another figure. I didn't see anything on this in the FAQ section, so sorry if this is a common question.
  • captcarl74
    • Feb 28, 2014

It seems from looking at other posts my question is about Type 2 hands. Actually, the hands are easy to get off: just push out the plastic wrist pin. What I really need to know is how to remove the wrist pegs from the forearms. Here is the style hand I'm talking about:

Last edited by captcarl74; Apr 21, '15, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

Dip the forearm in hot water for about 30 seconds. That should loosen things up for it to pop out easily.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

I would dip it in boiled water. Super hot to soften things up.

Comment

• boss
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 18, 2003

45 seconds in the microwave for heating the water is plenty.
          Last edited by boss; Apr 22, '15, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

^^ Huh? You heat the water and then dip the hands and forearms in the water.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

If the water isn't hot enough, you can split the forearm. That's why I boil the water. The hotter the better. Especially for a first timer. I use a hot pot to boil the water and poor it into a "coffee mug" and soak the parts for about a minute. Excessive? Maybe, but it works spectacularly.

Comment

• captcarl74
                • Feb 28, 2014

Thanks everyone! I'll give this a try!

Comment

• boss
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 18, 2003

Yeah Lonnie. That's way too much (heat and time). I'd be afraid to burn myself.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Okay, I admit that my mom says that I have asbestos fingers. I will hold things that others cannot touch. But I've broken wrist pegs by not getting it hot enough and still trying to pull it out. I also pull the parts out of the water with my bare fingers, which I don't recommend others to do.

Comment

• boss
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 18, 2003

My wife has no since of temperature when things are too hot, too. I always made sure I drew the bathwater when my kids were young. ;-)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I use Lonnie's method almost exactly, but I use cloth-covered needle-nose pliers to pull out the hand. This is for vintage arms.

I try to have a q-tip nearby (to dry out the forearm socket) and the replacement set of hands ready, because it is much easier to pop in the replacement hands when the socket is warmed.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scoth70
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 17, 2008

do we add a tea bag and sugar ?

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

I use the 'Lonnie method' the most. Original Mego and CTVTs India production are of a plastic hardness level that require much more heat than some of the of today's remego bodies may. Using a hand towel (not paper) over the hot hand and elbow, pull to release.

I see over in the Museum's Customego, Tips and Tricks: "Hand Repair" is gone. If I remember correctly, it had some great tips on removing wrist pins, and handless wrist plugs, using a blunted off push-pin, and a bent paperclip.

For me, it all depends on what works best. If I don't need the color variation in the part, I would try the wrist pin replacement. If that creates any problems, I'll remove and replace the original wrist plug.

The main thing is, the more methods you know, the more chances you have for success. If you have yet to visit Customego, there still are some great 'Tutorials' and 'Tips and Tricks' still available: http://www.megomuseum.com/custom/customindex.shtml

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎