X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Toycade
    We very pleased with it! You have to look at with your "retailer eyes" and take off your "super-fan" glasses. Not everyone buys one of everything. There are a lot people out there who buy just Batman. This may end up being the only Batman figure you see all year! This presented an opportunity for us. I suspect you will not be able to find any versions of previously released Batman in his classic costume in about 3 months. When late-comers jump on board, we will be waiting. We always welcome feedback though! Keep it coming!
    really? FTC still has regular 66 Batman and "new headsculpt" Batman in stock, and the tied to a table variant Batman too. I think there will be plenty to be had in three months, unless FTC is using its old stock to assemble this exclusive.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Teemu
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      really? FTC still has regular 66 Batman and "new headsculpt" Batman in stock, and the tied to a table variant Batman too. I think there will be plenty to be had in three months, unless FTC is using its old stock to assemble this exclusive.
      the ridiculous notion that people just buy batman must be few to none....Series 1 and 3 Batman along with his 50 variants are readily available,plenty of stock from everyone who sells these....(are people even really buying these to justify so many variants?)

MANY (paying) customers are asking FTC for NEW 66 figures and have been waiting patiently for wave 4 and 5,but instead we are getting this re-hashed variant crap...

Comment

• ZombieJimC
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 12, 2014

Wow. Have to pass on that.

Comment

• houseofdracula
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 11, 2011

The thing that puzzles me is, why is Alfred (W Green Apron) a variant?
          Wasn't he seen more often than not, with the green apron on?
          If so, shouldn't the jacket version be the variant?

A good Alfred variant would be him dressed in the Bat costume.

Also, I'm in agreement with those who don't understand why these 5 variant figures are being sold together.
          There are 2, maybe 3 that I would buy but not all 5.
          The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
          https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• invisiblelad
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 6, 2014

I want to just skip all the variant talk to praise the 1 FANTASTIC Variant coming at some point.....EARTHA KITT Catwoman! Yay 4 me! I was hoping for that particular Catwoman! I knew Julie Newmar was coming, & I didn't care if Lee's Catwoman was ever released, but Eartha Kitt's Catwoman is HIGH on my Batman 66 WISH List!

FTC....PLEASE Please please don't mess up Eartha Kitt's, Batgirl's or Newmar's heads! Please don't make their heads so big they are a DEAL Breaker for me! Please. Ok rant over!

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

How this figures sells will decide if people wan't to keep buying 66 Batman over and over. I don't look at these as a superfan but more as an Investor as well as a collector
              and this reminds me of the Hasbro movie Batman action figures of the 1990's that kept putting out Artic Batman, Heat blast Batman,Tornado Batman ,Scuba Batman etc.
              I can't speak for others but I would not invest money in a bunch of variants when they still have not released Catwoman 1,2,and 3, Batgirl, Freeze, King Tut etc.

Comment

• megomania
                Persistent Member
                • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by wise guy
                How this figures sells will decide if people wan't to keep buying 66 Batman over and over. I don't look at these as a superfan but more as an Investor as well as a collector and this reminds me of the Hasbro movie Batman action figures of the 1990's that kept putting out Artic Batman, Heat blast Batman,Tornado Batman ,Scuba Batman etc. I can't speak for others but I would not invest money in a bunch of variants when they still have not released Catwoman 1,2,and 3, Batgirl, Freeze, King Tut etc.
                Uh, no.

None of us who are waiting for FTC to stop putting out variants cares if this figure sits on the shelf and rots.

FTC isn't banking on this figure selling to decide whether or not to release new characters. If they are, they're delusional. Which they very well might be in thinking anyone wants 87 slightly modified version of the same characters.

If they give us new figures 6 mo from now people will buy. That being said, people might lose interest based on this continued variant stupidity.

But it won't be because THIS figure didn't sell well.

Comment

• wise guy
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 29, 2014

If this figure sells well than they will keep putting out variants because there cheap and EZ to make .
                  This has nothing to do with new figures .If they don't release the new figures than people will lose interest.

Comment

• megomania
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by wise guy
                    If this figure sells well than they will keep putting out variants because there cheap and EZ to make . This has nothing to do with new figures .If they don't release the new figures than people will lose interest.
                    Again. If FTC is basing the issuing of variants and non-issuance of new characters based on THIS figures sales, they're stupid.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Teemu
                      the ridiculous notion that people just buy batman must be few to none....Series 1 and 3 Batman along with his 50 variants are readily available,plenty of stock from everyone who sells these....(are people even really buying these to justify so many variants?)

MANY (paying) customers are asking FTC for NEW 66 figures and have been waiting patiently for wave 4 and 5,but instead we are getting this re-hashed variant crap...
                      The just buy Batman mentality works at Wal-Mart, not so well in a collector driven line like this. If these variants don't sell well it will send that message to the retailers and FTC.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• rlkrefft
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 14, 2010

And, to call a piece of paper or card an accessory is really wrong. It isn't an accessory, anymore than the collector cards and stands were that Mattel packaged with their figures. An accessory is something the figure uses in play and pose. Penguin with an umbrella is an accessory. Riddler with a cane, or Mr. Freeze with his gun would be accessories. I really had high hopes for this figure when it was said the accessory is what we would all buy it for. I think anyone who pays 35.00 bucks for a piece of paper has too much money on their hands or no real idea of the value of money. With this figure that is really what you are doing, paying 35.00 for a piece of paper you could make yourself.

Like someone posted above, this is a collector line. Not a line found at Walnart. We are not kids who want every Batman you guys can come up with. You should have asked for a Penguin variant with an umbrella or removable mask Riddler. At least those two figures were higher in demand. We all want an umbrella for our Penguin. Riddler with a mask we can hang around his neck as he was seen so often on the show would have been cool too. You guys need to think as collectors if you want your product to move. Kids are not buying these. Adults are.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by houseofdracula
                          The thing that puzzles me is, why is Alfred (W Green Apron) a variant?
                          Wasn't he seen more often than not, with the green apron on?
                          If so, shouldn't the jacket version be the variant?
                          No, he was more often seen in the suit answering the Batphone, methinks. I'm pretty sure he had a LOT more screen time suited, though he appeared in the apron enough to make this a good variant.

As for the Toycade variant, I'm glad they are happy with it, but considering you can find that exact image in 5 seconds on Google, I'm not sure it's going to be a big draw. Much as I love Megos, even I've passed on a number of the variants in this line; pink cowl and the two boxing figures seemed worth it to me, but things like Joker in the suit or prison garb didn't. Variants should be from memorable moments or big story arcs, and be vital to those arcs; Mr. Grayson in his leather jacket qualifies there. The aforementioned Alfred in aoron is the second variant category that's solid: a way the character appeared multiple times. For me, such a figure would likely be a purchase, because, if I have, say, Bruce and Dick, they'll likely be in a separate display from Batman and Robin, and both displays could use an Alfred standing by to help (or dust). Having two Alfs with an important and legitimate difference to fill the roles makes it a lot more likely I'll get two. Now, Joker's utility belt was an important thing in a story arc, so that would fill variant role one. But otherwise, he's the same Joker I have, and just the belt isn't enough to prompt a purchase of a whole new figure. Pengy in the mask really falls into a third category; the "I vaguely remember him doing that but can't even think of the episode" category, which definitely isn't going to sell to me. He also falls into the category of "I can make that myself in five minutes and save 35 bucks," which is where I would put Batman with the campaign poster.

All that said, I do see the reason for the variants; it allows them to make more figures without spending money on new molds. That bring in money that can then serve, at least in part, as resources for future figures requiring new tooling. It's the soul of re-use, and in some cases you really can't get as much of the new stuff without re-using the old first. Retailer exclusives also help convince places to carry or keep carrying a line; Walmart likely wouldn't have carried DC Universe Classics if they hadn't been promised an exclusive wave by Mattel. In Toycade's case, they may not get a whole bunch of internet orders aside from some completists, but whatever foot traffic they have may see the Batman on the pegs and buy it. If nothing else, it's there, and they save shipping compared to buying one of the other versions off the web. So it's not necessarily a bad move on Toycade's part, and maybe this is the only exclusive they could get; a more significant variant might have required a larger order to make it financially feasible to make then Toycade could handle. I'm sure Entertainment Earth's order is a lot bigger, so they got some new clothes for a few figures.

The main thing I think FTC needs to keep in mind is that the variants should be seen as creating some resources to be put back into making the newer stuff; all this will die quickly if 90% of the product is something like the Justice League figures, minor tweaks on existing characters. The announcements we've heard definitely point in that direction, that new stuff is coming after seeing all the re-dos, so one hopes that is the continuing plan.

Comment

• Teemu
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by rlkrefft
                            And, to call a piece of paper or card an accessory is really wrong. It isn't an accessory, anymore than the collector cards and stands were that Mattel packaged with their figures. An accessory is something the figure uses in play and pose. Penguin with an umbrella is an accessory. Riddler with a cane, or Mr. Freeze with his gun would be accessories. I really had high hopes for this figure when it was said the accessory is what we would all buy it for. I think anyone who pays 35.00 bucks for a piece of paper has too much money on their hands or no real idea of the value of money. With this figure that is really what you are doing, paying 35.00 for a piece of paper you could make yourself.

Like someone posted above, this is a collector line. Not a line found at Walnart. We are not kids who want every Batman you guys can come up with. You should have asked for a Penguin variant with an umbrella or removable mask Riddler. At least those two figures were higher in demand. We all want an umbrella for our Penguin. Riddler with a mask we can hang around his neck as he was seen so often on the show would have been cool too. You guys need to think as collectors if you want your product to move. Kids are not buying these. Adults are.
                            When the product is clutteringthe warehouse andnot selling,then they will learn

WE WANT NEW CHARACTERS!not variants!

Comment

• jeffbearco
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2011

I suspect the new backer board is an attempt to get rid of some excess inventory that is cluttering the warehouse. We never do see numbers on how well these figures are selling.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• TrekStar
                                Trek or Treat
                                • Jan 20, 2011

Like someone said earlier, " these are not being bought by children, there being bought by adult collectors"
                                as adult collectors most do not want to see variants, they want to see (NEW) figures!!!! or a variant that
                                makes sense like, Penguin with umbrella or Riddler with removable mask, not tied up Batman and Robin etc etc.

These will end up back up cluttering in the warehouses and will most likey see sales and mark down prices
                                on these variants that do not sell, and even mark down prices might not completely work, or something new
                                that can only be bought in a set with variants we don't really want but will have to pay more just to get the new figure.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎