• Show
Clear All
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Question to Experts on Fabrics...

What's the name of the fabric used on the following two:

1)Hot Toys Keaton Batman cape

2) CTVT TV Batman collar (not cape, just the collar)

Thanks for any help!
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

^^^This material is also used for gauntlets on the Mattel DC Retro Action figures... Any help from the top names in sewing herein? Jessica? Theressa? Brian Leitner? Anyone please?^^^

Comment

• binkystarr
      Museum Super Collector
      • Apr 16, 2015

More than likely it is a stretch spandex black material that does NOT fray when it is cut for Batman Keaton?
      I have to see the ctvt version to tell you

Comment

• Boywonder0
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 29, 2007

^^^Its definitely not Spandex. It is a very light & soft "leather-like" material. Some have told me it is called "pleather" but when I ask for pleather in our fabric stores they offer me a fabric that has a cotton liner and that is definitely not what the Mattel DC retro figures use. Thank you very much though...^^^

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

There're all kinds of vinyl (pleather), with variant backings: some are woven, some felted, some knit. Mattel's costumes feature a thin pleather that is matte with a white woven backing.

JoAnn's will probably not sell many thinner types that are matte. Try searching online/ebay.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 26, '15, 3:52 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

^^^Thank you so much!^^^

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

If you're careful, it's possible to peel the backing off of most types of pleather. That can reduce the thickness some.
              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• binkystarr
                Museum Super Collector
                • Apr 16, 2015

Im sorry its not spandex, I thought you meant the Neca Michael Keaton figure. The material might be the same pleather material sol at Joann's Fabric store? Another type that resembles that type is one known as Spradling EZ Vinyl Oxen Black which can be bought online at

Just in case you want to buy some? Its like $9.00 a yard. Another fabric that is similar is called Faux Leather Fabric in Lambskin Pattern - Black - Half Yard - Vegan Leather

Comment

• Boywonder0
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 29, 2007

Thank you guys! You all rock!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡