Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Love or hate Superman Returns (which I liked except for the kid angle)...the plane saving sequence...is without question...the best Superman scene ever shown...I thought that was magical...Superman at his best...heroically saving hundreds of lives...Supes struggling with the plane, not because he wasn't strong enough, but because it was hard to stop a huge object with weak metal structural integrity (compared to Supes)...it was like you and I...trying to stop a giant paper mache plane from falling at high velocity...without destroying and crumbling it into a million pieces...that took not only strength...but skill...not to mention awesome special-effects. I love that sequence, hands down, my favorite Superman action scene on the silver screen.
    sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
      Love or hate Superman Returns (which I liked except for the kid angle)...the plane saving sequence...is without question...the best Superman scene ever shown...I thought that was magical...Superman at his best...heroically saving hundreds of lives...Supes struggling with the plane, not because he wasn't strong enough, but because it was hard to stop a huge object with weak metal structural integrity (compared to Supes)...it was like you and I...trying to stop a giant paper mache plane from falling at high velocity...without destroying and crumbling it into a million pieces...that took not only strength...but skill...not to mention awesome special-effects. I love that sequence, hands down, my favorite Superman action scene on the silver screen.
      Yeah, I love that scene too Hector...and I'm one of the people that enjoy that movie.
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Awesome!

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Physics aside, yeah that was likely the best scene in the whole movie...
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

If you are gonna bring in physics...start with Superman himself...breaking all the laws of physics known to man, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• libby 1957dog
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 3, 2009

maybe this will appeal to us old farts more lol

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                Superhero films should have some joy in them.
                Superhero movies, Star Wars movies, Trek, etc---the whole lot of them should. I don't HAVE a kid, but I wanna feel like one when I exit the theatre.

However...

THIS:
                Originally posted by palitoy
                I just wish they'd stop painting everyone with Batman's brush.
                ...is THE number one problem. The visual aspect of this aside (I can deal with darker costumes/scenery and edgier violence)---but the POISON here is getting that 'Batman-brushed paint" on the wrong characters at the wrong time as far as somewhat recognizable and discernably divergent archetypes.

You wanna give me Superman in this new universe? Tweak him a bit darker? Ok---give me something closer to Timmverse's John Stewart, than Timmverse's Martian Manhunter, 'cause I'm getting more of the MM-vibe as far as Supes' attitude, and it just doesn't feel right.

I mean, you can compensate for Supes by bringing in a brighter, chipperer SHAZAM! (Cap Marvel), but what's gonna happen if/when they bring in MM? It's that kinda thing, if not exactly that.

If DC wants to build their JL---they gotta think more steps ahead IMHO.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by libby 1957dog

https://youtu.be/F6cpTjsHTNk
                  LOL! That was a good one. Helped the imagery portion, but the message remains the same. So no, this old fart still doesn't care for it.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I agree that the MOS Superman suit is too muted. That's certainly a Nolan influence.

IMO, there's no humor with Kent/Kal not because of the character, but because of how Nolan/Goyer/Snyder chose to depict the population's reaction. I never agreed with that element of TDK, because the people it needs to prop up in contrast as "heroes" Like Dent or The Mayor, are laughable in a real-world context. People would back a rogue military soldier taking out street thugs over a political official, every day. They tried to address this in TDKR, but Bane was the wrong choice. It needed to be an offshoot of Joker.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                      I agree that the MOS Superman suit is too muted. That's certainly a Nolan influence.

IMO, there's no humor with Kent/Kal not because of the character, but because of how Nolan/Goyer/Snyder chose to depict the population's reaction. I never agreed with that element of TDK, because the people it needs to prop up in contrast as "heroes" Like Dent or The Mayor, are laughable in a real-world context. People would back a rogue military soldier taking out street thugs over a political official, every day.
                      I've been stewing in the fact that so many are disappointed by what I've seen and spoke about for years that I haven't pointed out that this, if handled right could give something to Superman that I believe he should have---which, altho', even if I get my wish might not be appreciated by the masses... and that is: To show Superman the way that Waid showed Aquaman in that JLA graphic novel I love---as a "misunderstood guy scorned because people love to tear down someone powerful that they are envious of, if only given a common chink in that powerful person's armor"---in this case, Superman being an alien (akin to ocean-dude Aquaman being the main freak in the JLA book).

If this is done right, the film will end with the audience agreeing with a brilliant film ending showing Batman trumpeting that Superman ain't such a bad guy after all...

---'cause as far as I'm concerned, after the one-two punch of luke-warm to hot reaction over Superman Returns plus the start of the Nolan-mania that took Bat-mania into super-hyper-drive, I've been feeling like Supes took Aquaman's place in the "real world" as the DCU's new whipping boy, when NEITHER of those characters deserve that kind of whipping IMHO. They're Super Friends for chrissakes No Marvel Hero can claim THAT! ---(well, Spidey, Ice Man and Firestar come close!)

Even if that "Batman celebrating how cool Superman is" ending happens (and I don't just mean a nice handshake---I mean really good dialogue following a really great turn-of-events climax") and the public still favors Bats over Supes (or can't really see the value of Supes as much as we did/do), well, at least WB/Snyder/Affleck et al tried to do the right thing IMHO.

This upcoming Dawn Of Justice movie event may not be a true solo sequel to MOS, but it DOES have a great opportunity to give Superman his (what I think are) well-deserved propahs.

We'll see
                      Last edited by huedell; Apr 20, '15, 11:58 AM.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Superman Homepage has a shot-by-shot breakdown of the trailer here:

I still stand by initial reaction that I was not excited by this, and don't really care for the direction this seems to go in. BUT, Steve Younis does point out that apparently SOME folks look at Superman as a hero, hence the statue, and people apparently worshiping him. So reaction to him isn't all negative, but even those types of adoration can be seen taken to extremes, and some of those seem to be doing that here.

That being said...this is the direction they are going. I had problems with MOS, but like it overall, despite not really caring for the overall sensibility of the film. Heck, I feel that way about Superman Returns. It's a good film for the story they chose to tell...I just don't agree they should have went with that story. I think I'm going to feel the way about this film. I'd rather not wallow in the darkness/pseudo-realism in every DC film, but everyone wants to be Nolan via Frank Miller, so here we are.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by libby 1957dog

https://youtu.be/F6cpTjsHTNk
                          That deserves a repost!!! So awesome!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^That was a lot of fun. I'd be much more behind that film.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              Superman Homepage has a shot-by-shot breakdown of the trailer here:

...but everyone wants to be Nolan via Frank Miller, so here we are.

Chris
                              That's a good point as it shows the problem with having Snyder in this role. Nolan wasn't trying to mimic anyone else, his understanding of Batman came from a combo of his brother and approaching Wayne/Batman as if he was Bond.

Snyder though, is just like Michael Bay; literal commercial directors. So Zack looks at Miller's work, plus the games, and wonders how he can adopt all those images. So they look great - most of his Superman shots I could point to Alex Ross or Rude - but the story context of what they mean changes the character.

I mean, I really dig that shot of the guards kneeling when Superman approaches, but if he doesn't tell them to stand in the full clip, then this really is an Elseworlds version.

Ya know, maybe that's the game. Rumor has it Welling is going to appear on Arrow, Flash and the Justice-Titans hybrid next season as Clark, and they're moving ahead with a Flash movie that has nada to do with the show. So BvS would fit perfectly into the Multiversity concept that's dominating every thing else DC...

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                                Rumor has it Welling is going to appear on Arrow, Flash and the Justice-Titans hybrid next season as Clark, and they're moving ahead with a Flash movie that has nada to do with the show. So BvS would fit perfectly into the Multiversity concept that's dominating every thing else DC...
                                MAN! That would be so FREAKIN' AWESOME!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎