Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad day...Herb Trimpe passes away at 75.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Wow, what a sad day. He was one of the all time greats ever!

Comment

• Mego Milk
      Custom Mego Maker
      • Jun 3, 2007

I met him too.
      we talked about him co-creating Wolverine.
      Mr. Trimpe was awesome.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

What a great loss, The man was a workhorse and such a talented artist. I loved his Hulk and he will always be remembered for his Hulk #180 and 181...R.I.P

Comment

• WannabeMego
          Made in the USA
          • May 2, 2003

I always wonder if these artists that have passed ever understood the breathe of their impact on us as children and grown-ups.

The Hulk & Herb Trimpe were the focus of my early years where I spent the majority of my time reading issues while recovering in a hospital bed.

It wasn't stretch for me to associate myself with Bruce Banner cause I was scrawny & very weak...and I would wish I could become the Hulk and finally get out of my bed and go home (...and beat up the kids that would pick on me...cause I could ).

I always make sure to tell any of the Veteran Artists I see at shows how much their work meant to me.

I'm a long way from that hospital bed thanks to Mr. Trimpe.

Rest in Peace...You are Missed.
          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I know this doesn't compare to others' more comprehensive knowledge here of his work, but I loved his version of The Mandarin.

A villain of many costumes, but for me Trimpe's interpretation was classic.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

Met him a few times at cons, he was a very nice guy. Liked some of his lesser known stuff like Phantom Eagle and Killraven.
              Didn't he do that whole Crest Kids vs Cavity Creeps add from the 70s?
              Sad news indeed, RIP.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by MIB41
                I absolutely LOVED his Hulk treatment. Truly one of a kind. He will be sorely missed.
                Me too, I loved his Hulk issues. I couldn't say it better than MIB41. Rest in peace

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                  Met him a few times at cons, he was a very nice guy. Liked some of his lesser known stuff like Phantom Eagle and Killraven.
                  Didn't he do that whole Crest Kids vs Cavity Creeps add from the 70s?
                  Sad news indeed, RIP.
                  Yes he did. I think I've seen some of his animation cel's on Ebay on a few occasions.

Comment

• VintageMike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2004

Sad day indeed. He and Sal Buscema are the Hulk artists I remember the most. Another great leaves us. never take anything for granted. RIP.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

Found the article I was looking for with an assist from Dave Dunstan over on Back Issue Facebook page. Here's how Marvel treated Herb even after he tried to change his art style to the crap that was being done over at Image at the time. Ageism is still alive. So watch out you guys over 50. It's a little bit of a read, because it is basically a diary/journal of what Herb was going through, but it is worth it. Took it like a trooper and kept on moving forward. THAT is the greatness of this man:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/natio...c_location=ufi

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

I like his stuff on GI Joe.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                          Found the article I was looking for with an assist from Dave Dunstan over on Back Issue Facebook page. Here's how Marvel treated Herb even after he tried to change his art style to the crap that was being done over at Image at the time. Ageism is still alive. So watch out you guys over 50. It's a little bit of a read, because it is basically a diary/journal of what Herb was going through, but it is worth it. Took it like a trooper and kept on moving forward. THAT is the greatness of this man:

Man, the man pretty much gave his life to MARVEL and they even have the cajones to dismiss him in person. I've always heard MARVEL wasn't such a great company to work for and now I believe it.

I was glad that Herb pulled himself up by his own bootstraps and soldiered on. I think it's part of the generation he belonged to. Unlike most kids and young adults (and even a few older ones), Trimpe's generation never operated under the assumption that the world owed him anything, so I'm glad he went out and did what he could.
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                            To Fear is Not Logical...
                            • Feb 17, 2008

Never had the chance to meet him, but will certainly miss him. RIP.
                            It's all good!

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

the comics were my first exposure to Godzilla. Loved those comics
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Blue Meanie

could you imagine if Herb Trimpe was your grade school art teacher? How could you not just sit there and beg him to draw the Hulk and Godzilla on the chalk board all day long.
                                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎