Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad day...Herb Trimpe passes away at 75.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Sad day...Herb Trimpe passes away at 75.

Just read this over at Back Issue on facebook:

http://comicbook.com/2015/04/14/herb...s-passed-away/

Herb Trimpe was one of the most kindest and genuine person you'd ever meet. Just saw him at Big Apple Con back in March. Just the utmost professional even though he was treated like crap by Marvel. I have to find the article on line that is a literal day to day diary of Herb's life after Marvel basically used ageism to take away his livelihood. I am just completely stunned by this news. Rest In Peace Herb.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I loved his work...his Leader will always be the definitive version to me.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Apr 14, '15, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I absolutely LOVED his Hulk treatment. Truly one of a kind. He will be sorely missed.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

You know the REALLY sad thing? Both Marvel and DC have their heads so firmly planted up their behinds when it comes to older artists. I cannot believe guys like Jerry Ordway, Steve Rude and Ron Frenz can't find steady work because their style is considered too "old fashioned"
        I long for the day when the young punks running the show are older and find themselves tossed away like so much trash. What goes around comes around.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

There's an artist whose work I truly grew up with. Probably the last who made Hulk workable until Byrne stepped in. A truly great talent whose name will carry on.

I don't know about Frenz, but Ordway just fell out of favor and Rude, my personal favorite for many years, shot his career in the foot. I wish he didn't and he's trying to repair that which I'm always hoping will kick in.
          Last edited by hedrap; Apr 14, '15, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

I think Jerry Ordway is probably the greatest artist who ever worked in comics. How did he ever fall out of favor? His faces, his anatomy, the way he does hair...all just amazing. I'm always in awe of his Superman books.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Trimpe had a distinctive style that blended quite a bit of Kirby and the Severins in. It made for an iconic Marvel look. Poor guy was forced to adopt a horrible Liefeld-esque style in the 90s, but his classic style was just that: classic.

I just saw where there was a TwoMorrows book coming out on him.

RIP

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I just saw where there was a TwoMorrows book coming out on him.
                Now I'll have to find that in Diamond Previews book and order it.

One of the artists I have always meant to get a sketch from. He was at every show I've been to in the last 5 years. Had many conversations with. One of which was about a half hour conversation about baseball at a show last year. Got a great pencil and ink for my brother. If I get a chance I'll take a pic of it or scan it. I know I've said this in many posts about Comic Cons but I'll say it again...if you see one of the artists and creators of the past like Herb, just go up and say hi or tell them how much their/stories meant to you. It will make both of your days.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

This is sad news. Herb Trimpe was always a name I'd see when buying comics as a kid/teenager and I always loved his stuff. His Hulk is beyond reproach (IMHO) and he gave the Jolly Green Giant as much a trademark look as Romita, Sr. did for Spider-Man. He was the first man to bring Wolverine to life in a comic book and his renditions of both Godzilla and Shogun Warriors are standouts in my mind as high watermarks in comics. Plus, he served his country as a veteran in the U.S. Air Force for four years and even acted as a chaplain in the days following 9/11. Rest in Peace, Herb, sympathies and condolences to your family, friends and many, many fans....
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Followed him on the Hulk as a kid in the reprints and Godzilla was the first comic I got every month. RIP Herb!!
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

I did a crap job in framing this for my bro. I need to do this one right. Here's a sketch I got for my bro done by Herb a couple of years back. There are a few of these out there like this that I've seen...but to see this you need to ask yourself why Marvel treated him the way they did is beyond me. To the day he passed away he could draw circles around any of the hacks that are in the industry these days. Just boggles the mind. This will get a better frame job. Personalized by Herb to my brother:

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                        This is sad news. Herb Trimpe was always a name I'd see when buying comics as a kid/teenager and I always loved his stuff. His Hulk is beyond reproach (IMHO) and he gave the Jolly Green Giant as much a trademark look as Romita, Sr. did for Spider-Man. He was the first man to bring Wolverine to life in a comic book and his renditions of both Godzilla and Shogun Warriors are standouts in my mind as high watermarks in comics. Plus, he served his country as a veteran in the U.S. Air Force for four years and even acted as a chaplain in the days following 9/11. Rest in Peace, Herb, sympathies and condolences to your family, friends and many, many fans....
                        I had no idea Herb did those Godzilla comics! I never read them as a kid but I've always loved the covers. I'm definitely gonna check them out now.

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

I love his work on the Hulk! My favorite version of the character. Rest In Peace Mr. Trimpe.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Isn't that Trimpe's Hulk on the back of the Mego box? It was always so distinct when I was a kid.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^Yep, that's him. Lifted from the reissue of the Hulk Aurora Model during the Comic Scenes era:

I just remembered some of my earliest Hulk comics were reprints of Trimpe issues in Marvel Super Heroes. I miss reprint titles like that. I'd never have known Trimpe's Hulk or Ditko's Spidey without them.

Chris
                              Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Apr 14, '15, 3:24 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎