• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

JANA OF THE JUNGLE I BEG OF YOU!
    !
    GOOD GRIEF I FORGOT about Captain Caveman and Teen Angels! I want all 4 but brunette was prettiest!

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

I sure don't want to see the funny ones wth cloth body suits.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

I'd dig these:

• 1968-69 - Wacky Races/The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

• 1973 - The Addams Family

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by houseofdracula
          This could be done to an FTC body!
          Just a costume to fit over the body.
          The heads might have to be sculpted to look like the Banana Splits (rather than use a mask) but I think that this could work.
          The actual "Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera" TV show this line is named after had live-action segments with people in Yogi Bear and other costumes like that.

Originally posted by Confessional
          I'd dig these:

• 1973 - The Addams Family
          I'm guessing the Addams Family would be a separate license. I think this is just properties that Hanna-Barbera owns outright. Although I would LOVE Addams Family ReMegos, regardless.

Comment

• firestarcomics
            Museum Patron
            • Jun 19, 2014

Jazwares are fun. I enjoyed them because they were small however, they were hard to get. For some reason I never saw all of them on the shelves and wish I could have seen them all. I hope they make more stuff.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by huedell
              The only way that I could think of someone elses' ideas for FTC improving on those very nice, affordable HB figures from McFarlane and Jazwares would be soft goods clothing, rooted hair...not "my" type thing these days, as I think that, while nostalgic, soft goods can make figures look sloppier---but that mindset is still very much keeping with the retro-Mego tone of the FTC lines. Is there anything else that could be seen as improvements to the HB figures from McFarlane and Jazwares lines?
              The biggest mistake McFarlane made was not starting off with traditional representations of characters. Fred Flintstone on a prehistoric motorcycle is not what the old school HB fans wanted. By the time they corrected their error, people moved on. Some were not happy with them being in-action figures too, but I was fine with that.

The Jazwares Fred Flinstones and other HB properties were okay, sculpt-wise. Quality suffered in both paint apps and construction on some. Small Fred's Water Buffalo hat was a waste and I wasn't thrilled with the action features on the larger figures, but I can understand why they were there. But the line was too varied and all over the place. The large Tom & Jerry figures were out of scale, some figures showed up in large scale, while figures from the same show showed up in the smaller scale... it was a mess.

The best thing about a FTC Mego-esque line is we know what we are getting, scale-wise. Even if they are out of scale or the body type isn't perfect, it still fits the, "how Mego would have done it," philosophy. They will be pose-able. And I am sure they will be the classic versions. So it comes down to using the right head sculpt (compare Jazware's Fred Flintstone to the X-Plus version; lots of options) and getting the clothes right.

And picking the right characters. If you make Gilligan, at least make the Skipper. If you make Fred Flinstone, at least make Barney Rubble or Wilma.

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by hedrap
                6. A 12" Shazzan and Frankenstein Jr.
                I forgot about Shazzan. They've got both a 12" and an 18" body to chose from here (though I imagine the 12" would bring the figure into a more palatable price range, an 18" version would be incredible). Franky Jr. would be a lot harder to pull off, though, as he was a lot more cartoony in look and proportions.

Also forgot about Jana; one fo the better HB adventure shows, as I recall. Definitely would like her in Mego form.
                Last edited by scott metzger; Apr 10, '15, 1:09 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by firestarcomics
                  Jazwares are fun. I enjoyed them because they were small however, they were hard to get. For some reason I never saw all of them on the shelves and wish I could have seen them all. I hope they make more stuff.
                  I was lucky enough to find most of them at TRU. Some were tough in the beginning, but even Space Ghost hung on the pegs for a bit at one point.

I actually had a harder time with the McFarlane figures and that's when Kay Bee Toys was still in business and Walmart was carrying them. The first series was such a bomb that a lot of stores did not order Series 2. Shame because that was the good series that people wanted.

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by TRDouble
                    I was lucky enough to find most of them at TRU. Some were tough in the beginning, but even Space Ghost hung on the pegs for a bit at one point..
                    Space Ghost was ALMOST good, but some of the wonky articulation and poor construction really compromised the figure. I still got him and put him in with my DC Classics figures, though.

Having him in Mego form will be great; I had a somewhat crude custom as a kid for a team up with Green Lantern, so having a REAL Mego (well, you know what I mean) version is decades overdue for me. I think they've got a strong first wave; all of those characters are ones I hear a lot of people mention when they refer to HB properties (can't believe I forgot about Mightor, too). I'm definitely in for all of them (though I'm wondering how Blue Falcon and Dynomutt will come, separately or as some sort of two-pack? I am hoping Dog Wonder has at least some articulation, like Gleek appears to have).

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 22, 2011

Probably the best representations of Hanna Barbera characters over the years were the vinyl figures done by R. Dakin and Co. in the 60s and 70s and more recently by Toynami and X-Plus from Japan but all three of these lines were limited in character selection. I liked the Jazwares stuff but the quality wasn't there. We now have the opportunity for the greatest HB line in toy history with high quality and deep character selection. I really hope this is done right without human characters having oversized heads. I have confidence that FTC will do this right. We've all wanted this for years now it has finally happened.

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

it's great news! looking forward to this line as well as the super friends!

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                          Probably the best representations of Hanna Barbera characters over the years were the vinyl figures done by R. Dakin and Co. in the 60s and 70s and more recently by Toynami and X-Plus from Japan but all three of these lines were limited in character selection.
                          Agreed. The Herculoids set with the diorama pieces were awesome, I can still remember seeing the Zandor/Zok set at a GameStop, on clearance, for 17...and passing because they didn't have the other two. On Ebay it sells for 200, for years now.

I would also love to a 10" Igoo using a Mego Giant Hulk as the body and in a silkscreen suit, much like Austin's custom Thing.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by scott metzger
                            I forgot about Shazzan. They've got both a 12" and an 18" body to chose from here (though I imagine the 12" would bring the figure into a more palatable price range, an 18" version would be incredible). Franky Jr. would be a lot harder to pull off, though, as he was a lot more cartoony in look and proportions.

Also forgot about Jana; one fo the better HB adventure shows, as I recall. Definitely would like her in Mego form.
                            I was thinking 18 would be a problem for the same reason. I don't want to drop 50+ on a 1.5 foot tall genie, too hard to store.

Frank's proportions are more cartoonish. They would need a Mego Giant Hulk as the sculpting base.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

If they ever got to the creatures/aliens, (not high on my list), it would be cool if they were Tomland Cardbacks...

Comment

• ovenmitt
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 26, 2009

Darn it my mind is going blank at my old age I forgot about Penelope Pitstop too who I had a crush on with her Southern Belle accent, blonde ponytail, and pink outfit! Paul Lynn was hysterical as Hooded Claw! Loved him as Uncle Arthur on Bewitched!

This includes all Ruby Spears cartoons like Thundarr the Barbarian with TOTAL BABE Princess Ariel GROWL! Goldie Gold and Action Jack! Turbo Teen! Plastic Man Comedy Hour with Penny, Hula Hula, Chief, and Baby Plas! FANGFACE!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎