• Mar 27, 2011

/\ /\ /\
      You mean Katy Perry???

JeffBearCO

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

I'm adding Devlin's name to the mix. They can just use most of the gear that Evel came with.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          I'm adding Devlin's name to the mix. They can just use most of the gear that Evel came with.
          Oh yeah! I forgot about "Devlin." Loved that series. Of course, you're right, they already have helmets and jumpsuits.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

I just remembered Sealab 2020! Not the abomination cartoon network reworked it into, but the original. Then again, since they basically just cut and pasted and re-dubbed animation from the original for the later tomfoolery, you could actually say the figures are for both, so fans of either could buy happily.

Comment

• jayraytee
              Career Member
              • May 27, 2011

I believe the Beatles cartoon was Hannah Barbera.
              My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by jayraytee
                I believe the Beatles cartoon was Hannah Barbera.
                The Beatles cartoon was produced by Artransa/TVC London, not H-B
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• wise guy
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 29, 2014

I am not sure what is going on with Marvel,Disney,Sony rights on Marvel charector's but FTC does seem to be adding items like Goblin boots,Ironman boots and gloves
                  Hulk bodies, and Invisible woman heads etc. I noticed they did the same thing before they got the DC WGH. They had Shazam,Superman,Robin heads and teen titan body suits.
                  Is it possible that they might be able to get rights of certain Marvel charector's thru Cartoon TV rights? Fantastic Four and X-men animated . Disney does'nt seem to wan't the
                  X-men or Fantastic Four to get any exposure anymore but does wan't the Spiderman rights

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

Fonz and the Happy Days Gang- Fonzie and his dog Mr Cool, Ritchie, Ralph, and Cupcake the time-traveler!

Laverne and Shirley In the Army! Fonzie and Mr Cool later joined the show!

Mork and Mindy cartoon- Mork (the late great Robin Williams!), Mindy, and Mork's pet Doing!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                      Fonz and the Happy Days Gang- Fonzie and his dog Mr Cool, Ritchie, Ralph, and Cupcake the time-traveler!

Laverne and Shirley In the Army! Fonzie and Mr Cool later joined the show!

Mork and Mindy cartoon- Mork (the late great Robin Williams!), Mindy, and Mork's pet Doing!
                      the HB deal only includes characters created and owned by HB/WB not Fonzie or Pac-Man or the Fantastic Four.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by wise guy
                        I am not sure what is going on with Marvel,Disney,Sony rights on Marvel charector's but FTC does seem to be adding items like Goblin boots,Ironman boots and gloves
                        Hulk bodies, and Invisible woman heads etc. I noticed they did the same thing before they got the DC WGH. They had Shazam,Superman,Robin heads and teen titan body suits.
                        Is it possible that they might be able to get rights of certain Marvel charector's thru Cartoon TV rights? Fantastic Four and X-men animated . Disney does'nt seem to wan't the
                        X-men or Fantastic Four to get any exposure anymore but does wan't the Spiderman rights
                        It would be great if it happened, but it's probably not in the cards. Hasbro has the Marvel master license (comics, TV and films) and is not interested in making mego-like figures after similar lines weren't as successful as they needed to be for shelf space in big box stores.

Diamond Select has the Marvel sub license for specialty store figures like Marvel Select figures among others. This is the company that partnered with Doc Mego to produce the recent Spidey and Cap sets with Wolverine and Thor to come. As long as Diamond Select is producing mego-like Marvel figures, no other company is going to be able to do it.

Should Diamond Select ever stop making Mego-like figures, it might be possible for FTC or some other company to gain the license, but from the way it has been explained on the board, the figures would likely be at a similar price point as the current Diamond Mego-like figures to be profitable or as a condition of the sub-license to protect Hasbro and Diamond Selects' interests. Basically, Hasbro and Diamond Select don't want Marvel figures produced that will be sold at a similar price point as the figures the companies are already producing to protect their interest.

It is my second- or third-hand understanding that FTC attempted to get the Marvel license but it didn't work out. It may have had to do with the cost of the license and/or the demands or restrictions placed on them, or it could have been other reasons.

As for FTC making repro parts similar to mego Marvel parts, I'm guessing they are doing it because the parts they are producing are not trademarked by Marvel or are not specific enough to the character to be considered so.

My hope is that Hasbro lets up on on the licensing demands and restrictions and Diamond Select will be able to offer the Marvel Mego-like figures at a more competitive price point than it is doing now.
                        Last edited by madmarva; Apr 21, '15, 7:58 AM.

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

Thanks for the update I was hoping FTC would be able to produce the Fantastic 4 animated HB figures . FTC is kicking butt on Diamond and the latest
                          Capt A . set requires too much customizing for the price. It's o.k to switch out FTC bodies because I only pay 25.00 -27.00 each plus the body versus
                          80.00 for 1 figure that I wan't and a bunch of parts that I have to try to resell

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 16, 2014

MAN, I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!
                            After all these years, Real honest to goodness JONNY QUEST TOYS!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by wise guy
                              Technically, all of that marvel stuff would be considered bootleg. As long as the Invisible Girl head doesn't say that anywhere or have the Marvel TM on it, there's not much Marvel can do on a licensed head that looks nothing like the character based on a deal with a company that went out of business decades ago. Same with the boots and such; they're "ribbed boots," not Iron Man boots. Now, with something more distinct like those and the not-Thor boots, Marvel could have a case for a cease and desist order, but they likely think it isn't worth the time or money to put the legal proceedings through. Third party stuff seems to be tolerated by a lot of the big companies more so than in the past (look at the growing industry of not-Transformers figures right now). Granted, I think Marvel would bring down the iron boot if FTC released a figure named "Metal Guy" who looked exactly like Iron Man in full regalia, but bits and pieces and repro parts probably fly under the legally actionable radar.

As for HB cartoons of licensed properties they don't own, that's a big problem. To do an HB Fonz, they'd have to still have the Happy Days rights. I see no problem with doing the Dukes cartoon series in figure form as they have both the HB and the actual Dukes license, but then again, it all depends on what the fine print on the HB agreement says. They may only be able to do properties owned outright by HB. So even with HB and the Dukes live action in the portfolio, there might be problems with the animated show if that particular provision isn't in black and white.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Apr 20, 2014

Originally posted by scott metzger
                                Granted, I think Marvel would bring down the iron boot if FTC released a figure named "Metal Guy" who looked exactly like Iron Man in full regalia, but bits and pieces and repro parts probably fly under the legally actionable radar.
                                If FTC was both mercenary enough and clever enough I bet they could find a way to release a complete figure broken up into pieces. They'd have to find exactly the right character, but if they did they could create boots, gloves, cape, costume and a headsculpt, all sold as individual pieces, which when put together bore a noticeable resemblance to a certain Marvel character. How about Moon Knight for example: a generic sculpted hero head with eyes only that comes in either white or black, an all white spandex outfit, a white cloak and hood combo, a white utility belt, white add-on cuffs with lines all around them, and white boots, all sold as separate pieces. They could make a set of nunchakus for him as well. None of those individual pieces could possibly be trademarked, but when put together they certainly add up to Moon Knight. All that would be missing would be the crescent moon emblem, and that's a pretty easy sticker for anyone to make at home.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎