X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Kenner Star Wars

It's weird to think that there was a time where this page held 25% of all Star Wars merchandise in the world. This page is from a Shoprite catalog, this is where a lot of my toys came from as a kid.

Check out the capeless (and very expensive)new character.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's a beauty of a catalog page. Was Boba Fett that much higher than the other 12-inchers everywhere else?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I remember the 12 inchers being pretty pricey for it's day. Kind of sad that Hasbro closed that sister company down after all of it's celebrated history. Still a well known brand name. You would think they would use it.

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

#32 is kind of a random assortment. "Thanks, Santa, where the #$%@ is Han Solo?"
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, Boba is quite a bit taller than the humans. I received him as a motivation to stop sucking my fingers. I kept him in remarkable shape since then. He seemed to be somewhat of an experiment. Different, hard plastic. Advanced articulation. Play features off the charts.

I remember in the late 80s early 90s, market value for the 12 inchers exceeded that of the 3.75" figures. Then the market shifted. It was weird, because there's more toy value in the large figures, but not as many kids owned them, so nostalgia for the mini figures won out.

I really oughtta complete my set.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Okay---NOW you're playing DIRTY!

Seriously, though: What a post!----just an amazing page of stuff. Always been as enamored w/classic Kenner Star Wars as I am w/classic Mego WGSH (or even maybe moreso).

Force-tastic!
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MegoScott
              #32 is kind of a random assortment. "Thanks, Santa, where the #$%@ is Han Solo?"
              Ha!

And #24 is the "Generic eBay time-era-displaced 'Where the #$%@ are his accessories?'" model!
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

After I moved to CA in 1979, I met a kid named Jay. He was a Star Wars fanatic! He had all kinds of figures, the Darth Vader case, the Land Speeder, and X-Wing fighter, and 2 different color Light Sabers. I was 13 and Jay was 11. I remember to the other kids in the neighborhood who were younger than me, Jay was the kid you wanted to hang out with. I didn't mind playing w/ his Star Wars toys sometimes, but I think b/c I was 13, I was starting to like other things. Plus even though I do have a Han Solo (that I found), and some other smaller figures, I just could never really get into 3 & 3/4 figures.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

The only Shoprite I ever remember was a grocery in my grandmother's home town. Is that what this was for, or just a similar named store?
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• starsky
                    veteran member
                    • Aug 26, 2007

no shoprite here in cali. that ad makes me drool!!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, I get my groceries delivered from ShopRite here in New York (they're coming this evening, in fact).

Getting back to Star Wars, I loved those 12 inch figures and had several of them! However, those 3 3/4 inch figures, vehicles and play sets were out of this world! And, I had a lot of them.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• acrovader
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 19, 2011

There are Shoprite's here in Wisconsin, but I think they might be lower end grocery stores. I had that big Boba Fett and the big Luke. A neighbor across the street had almost all the big Star Wars figures. I really wanted that big Darth Vader and one day I might pick one up somewhere (if not on Ebay). I didn't play with my big Star Wars figures that much. I preferred the standard 3.75" figures.
                        I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Here is Producer Gary Kurtz getting very hands-on with the large size Boba Fett prototype, which looked like it would have a remote electronic feature.

Oddly enough, Mr. Kurtz would later cite the push for toys as a reason for his split from Lucas.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

This Shoprite was a Canadian chain owned by the Hudson's Bay. It consisted of a showroom and a catalog ordering department. Everything was in the warehouse and they called you when your order arrived. We had one downtown when I was a kid and it was where I got a lot of my favourite toys as a kid.

I remember getting my Tie Fighter there and seeing a whole wall of clearanced Comic Action exploding bridge sets, good times.....
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Spectacular!
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰