Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering Lon Chaney Sr. on his birthday...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Remembering Lon Chaney Sr. on his birthday...

The famed Man of a Thousand Faces was born 132 years ago today in 1883

Hard to believe he's been dead for 85 years and is still appearing on toys and merchandise.

His legacy will live forever...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I often wonder what he would have done for characters like Dracula if he had lived.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
      I often wonder what he would have done for characters like Dracula if he had lived.
      That's an interesting question that I too have thought about. Based on how closely he followed the novel's descriptions of the characters when he created his Hunchback and Phantom makeups, I believe his Dracula would have been the mustached, fanged figure with hairy palms from the book, and his Frankenstein to be very patchwork and corpse-like.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

There was a thread over at the UMA board with some scans of an old magazine article that tackled this. It showed just what Dwayne mentioned: A photoshopped Chaney with droopy mustache, long hair, fangs and claws. I think audiences in 1931 would have peed their pants after seeing this film.

Of course Chaney was an acclaimed actor of his time, but how many of his peers do we remember? Very few. The same can be said for the next generation of horror stars, including his son. How many other actors from the 30s and 40s are still relevant in pop culture today? Very few.

But Chaney started it all. He was the first genre-film hero, really.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Tom Savini cites Chaney as a major influence. It's sort of a shame he didn't do more acting with his own make upper effects. I guess you could argue Rick Baker did since he wore the Kong suit.

Is Andy Serkis the modern Lon Chaney?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hedji
            Is Andy Serkis the modern Lon Chaney?
            No way. You would have to include the troop of animators that complete the work.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Oh I agree completely. Just throwing that out to illustrate the point that there is no one like that anymore. I guess Serkis has earned his fame, but pound for pound, there is no equal to what Chaney was able to achieve. They just don't make 'em like that anymore, and it's sad.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Chaney Jr. pushed to do his own makeups, but Universal wouldn't let him. If they'd left him alone, who knows? He may have inherited some of the old man's talents.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Chaney's Dracula would have been really scary, instead of Lugosi's gentleman vampire.
                  Chaney Sr is, to me, still the greatest. A highly talented man, who truly became his characters, and a pioneer of his special craft.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Ach, Dwayne, you beat me to a tribute thread .

Chaney's Phantom is my favorite "monster" and I can't praise the actor enough.

TCM often shows other Chaney silent films besides "Phantom" & "Hunchback", which are both, I believe, in the public domain.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

These scans are apparently from Mad Monster Party #1, and show what someone thought Chaney's Dracula MAY have looked like:

Of course, Dracula deages as he sups in the book, so a younger Drac would appear later in the film:

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Yes, these photos would make sense. That would probably be the Chaney look.

"Old" Dracula kind of reminds me of someone....

Carpenter.jpg
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

^ Hahah! Good one. He does!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡