X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

MIB vs. LOOSE (which do you prefer?)

Let's say you're given $1000 and told to go spend it on some toys (not bills, mortgage,taxes or beer ok?). Do you buy that MIB/MOC figure that you've been pining for or a big lot of loose figures? Personally I don't collect hardly any boxed or carded toys (unless I really like the box art), In fact I usually just look for ones described as "played with condition", as I get them much cheaper (obviously), I don't think I've got even one perfect condition toy, yet I love my toy collection just the same. I'm not saying I collect junky toys, but a few markings or paint rubs don't bother me a bit although I know some collectors will pass up such toys until they can find one mib. So what do you prefer,mib or loose, and where do you personally draw the line in terms of condition?
  • Bill
    Parminant Memble
    • Oct 20, 2002

I prefer them beat up then resealed on a reproduction card and listed as MOC.

Loose for Heroes, boxed for Lion Rock WWII figures and carded AHI monsters. How about that for an answer.

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Loose, though I do have some carded ones that I got deals on that were too good to pass up. Mostly Dukes and stuff like that.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Carded or mib for me I only get loose stuff if it's too expensive on card or box
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I'd buy them all loose,.. so I can Play with them.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Hmmm,
            Depends.........

If I don't like the packaging, i'd rather go loose ......
            I never cared much for a lot of Mego packaging, so i'm cool with loose.

Comment

• censy
              thread killer
              • Sep 26, 2007

minty fresh!

I definitely prefer MIB/MOC.

My Treks, Apes and Oz figures are MIB/MOC. I tend to buy loose WGSH because they are so expensive. Then I have Mego 73 (Mike) box 'em up for me.

Chris

Comment

• monkey tennis
                "Kiss my face."
                • Jun 8, 2007

Mint in my hand
                "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

I prefer Men In Black to Any Which Way But Loose. Men In Black is a funnier film.

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

I already have all the loose figures I want and I've just started getting some boxes and cards, so that's where my money would go to
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                      Time to feed the cat
                      • Dec 30, 2007

I'll admit I'm a horder,I would buy any and all that would cross my path.No mego would stand a chance they would all be in my control.

Comment

• garagesale
                        Dept. of Mego Studies
                        • Aug 8, 2006

I love loose and beat up. I like to restore and customize them. And play with them.

Funny thing though... I got the 1st 6 EMCE figures and have not opened them. I just tacked them up on my office wall. Somehow, I think the EMCE repros will eventually be more rare than the originals, since not nearly as many will be produced. At the same time, it will be primarily collectors buying them, so they probably will not end up valuable because there will be tons of them MOC.

As far as MIB vs. loose, it seems pretty much the same (except fot the actual possession of the box). When I was a kid, I never threw away the boxes. When cards came out, I did throw those away. If the question was boxes vs. cards, I'll take boxes always because it's the best of both worlds!

JamesD
                        Last edited by garagesale; Mar 28, '08, 6:52 PM.

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

I prefer loose, b/c they're gonna get played with. I've said this before, but sometimes I wonder about the adventures some kids had w/ their Megos. Did they take'em to school for Show and Tell? Make cardboard box HQs for them? Drag them to friend's houses or the park? Sleep w/ them at night to protect them from monsters? To me, this gives them a sense of history, even though it isn't mine. It sounds weird, but that's how I feel.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• livnxxxl
                            Megoholic RocketScientist
                            • Oct 23, 2007

I have and collect both loose and M.O.C. figures. I have most all of the loose figures that I want so I can pose them, customize them etc. Now I am going after the rarer harder to find and more expensive carded figures. I do not do boxes. I never owned an original boxed Mego figure as of yet. Wouldn't it be too easy for some devious seller to say that it is an original boxed figure when you could simply slide the figure in and out of the box? Or is the box sealed some way so one will know if the original figure had ever been removed? This has been one question that remains unanswered for me and that has kept me from collecting boxed figures. Sure, I know someone could be just as devious and reseal a card as well. However, I would think that it would be easier to spot a resealed card vs a boxed figure if the figure just slides in and out of the box and providing IF my logic is correct in that presumption. Can someone in the know of boxed figures shine any light on that subject for me? Anyone?
                            Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• davidb
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 9, 2007

Definitely loose. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who still plays with them!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎