X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Do they still make cool toys for KIDS?

You know, when we were kids we had all sorts of cool adventure toys to choose from. Soldiers, astronauts, pirates.
    But these days, when I walk through a toy store, there's nothing much that grabs me as being cool, in the way that Matt Mason or Lone Ranger were.
    Sure, you get the classics like Playmobil and Lego (which feel oddly lifeless to me), and some superhero figures, but it no longer feels the same.
    I know, I'm not a kid anymore, but if I walked into a toy aisle, I'd still like to discover something like spaceships and such. The ones from Playmobil and all just don't cut it for me.
    Are there still any cool boy's toys out there, or is it all smartphones and videogames these days?
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

For me THE coolest non-licensed kids toy line was Fisher Price Adventure People. They were kid friendly, durable, and fueled the imagination like no other. They were fun indoors and outdoors. Collectible. Attractive looking.

Now they dumb it down for the preschoolers with those chunky Rescue Heroes and chubby Superheroes who have deformed dimensions and in a squatting pose with gigantic feet.

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

I would say Bionicle. They are real cool looking and theres tons of different versions of them. They are also a part of Lego and get distributed well.

Chap Mei currently has a great pirate set and fantasy sets. They are one of the few companies that put out great public domain toys at a low cost.

I guess modern day C.O.R.P.S. as well. Low cost and will blend in with that occasional Joe.

These are the only things that really catch my interest as far as modern outside of the more popular items.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

I really really wish they'd do a Monster High type of toyline for boys. Monsters,aliens, spacemen, all in 12" scale (or 8",9",10" whatever) that had cool packaging and use of colour that MH has.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^ That's a great idea IMO. MH has all the angles covered with toons and an online presence, too.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

I'm really missing a generic line of space monsters, aliens and astronauts. Space age stuff, but without a connection to any movie. Just let the designers go wild and think up stuff.
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
              For me THE coolest non-licensed kids toy line was Fisher Price Adventure People. They were kid friendly, durable, and fueled the imagination like no other. They were fun indoors and outdoors. Collectible. Attractive looking.
              Toys r us still sells Adventure People type sets under their exclusive Animal Planet line. The sea lab set is especially cool.

Toys”R”Us is the leading kids store for all toys, video games, dolls, action figures, learning games, building blocks and more. C'mon, Let's Play!
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, the Animal Planet, True Legends, and some others were Chap Mei until recently (the newer Knights figures dont look to be Chap Mei), and they usually do up a line to coincide with the release of a blockbuster (The Hobbit came out and they did the Elves vs Orcs figures). Europe gets some great figures that we dont see in store.
                There are lots of great toys out there. I would be through the roof as a kid with all the Power Ranger toys, and Superhero toys we have today.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

I kind of equate modern Playmobil with vintage Adventure People. The figures are quite different, but there are tons of different sets and themes.
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• michael crawford
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Dec 15, 2008

Yep, there's an entire aisle devoted to True Legend stuff at every TRU.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Of course they do. They're called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Collectors hog all the cool toys because those are geared towards the imagination for play value. Today's generation has everything done for them on a tiny computer board.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

My son's room is full of Bionicles, he spends whole weekends customizing them. They are pretty damned neat.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎