X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceAgent
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 21, 2009

Who owns the rights?

I've been wondering for a while: Who owns the rights to the Micronauts? Say Marvel wanted to issue collections of their former comics, who would they need to contact to do so? I figured if anyone knew the answer, they'd be in this group!
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

I think Hasbro owns the rights at the moment, since they were mentioned in promo materials a couple of years ago.
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Ninersphan1
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 27, 2009

Marvel does own the rights a few of the characters, the ones they created, like Marionette, Bug, Huntaar and Commander Rann, the rest are owned by Hasbro who owns the right s to the toy based characters, Acroyear, Baron Karza, Biotron, Microtron etc. Reprints I'm guessing could be tricky because of this. That said, obviously Marvel and Hasbro have a working relationship, so maybe something could be worked out.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
        70's Era Pimp
        • Sep 7, 2011

Marvel owns the rights to their former comics. They can reprint them should they desire.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
          Marvel owns the rights to their former comics. They can reprint them should they desire.
          Marvel doesn't own the rights to the comics, it appears they have only asserted rights to the original characters they created for the series and even then it's not 100% solid. Bug was considered for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but he was cut because of the Galactic Warrior connection.

Marvel can't reprint the comics because they don't own the rights to Baron Karza, Acroyear, Biotron, Microtron etc. Hasbro currently controls the rights and announced plans for the movie on the heels of Transformers. There was a free comic giveaway at a convention a few years back... SDCC?

Mari, Rann, Bug and Huntarr have appeared in other Marvel Comics after they gave up the Micronauts license, but were not referred to as the Micronauts.

In subsequent non-marvel comics, the Space Glider character for example was renamed something other than Commander Rann.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, it's a mess. Marvel published a one off "BUG" comic in the late 90s to retain ownership I guess. He was conveniently separated from his team mates in the book.

If Marvel wanted to do anything Micronauts, they'd have to license it from Hasbro. It would be nice to see the band back together.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
              70's Era Pimp
              • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by samurainoir
              Marvel doesn't own the rights to the comics, it appears they have only asserted rights to the original characters they created for the series and even then it's not 100% solid. Bug was considered for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but he was cut because of the Galactic Warrior connection.

Marvel can't reprint the comics because they don't own the rights to Baron Karza, Acroyear, Biotron, Microtron etc. Hasbro currently controls the rights and announced plans for the movie on the heels of Transformers. There was a free comic giveaway at a convention a few years back... SDCC?

Mari, Rann, Bug and Huntarr have appeared in other Marvel Comics after they gave up the Micronauts license, but were not referred to as the Micronauts.

In subsequent non-marvel comics, the Space Glider character for example was renamed something other than Commander Rann.

Well, there I go talking like I know something....lol. Sorry about that. I just assumed that if they printed them to begin with they should be able to reprint them. What a bad contract....lol

Originally posted by palitoy
              If Marvel wanted to do anything Micronauts, they'd have to license it from Hasbro. It would be nice to see the band back together.
              Heck yah it would be.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 21, 2009

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds like Marvel would have to make a deal with Hasbro to reprint their old books. I think there is sufficient interest, should they ever do it.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by SpaceAgent
                  Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds like Marvel would have to make a deal with Hasbro to reprint their old books. I think there is sufficient interest, should they ever do it.
                  It would appear that Marvel is the only one that could, given the muddy ownership situation with Rann, Bug etc. and the fact that Marvel characters guest star on a regular basis. Theoretically they could do it under license from Hasbro? Like they did their Godzilla series as a black and white phone book a few years ago.

I hadn't thought of it before, but given James Gunn's professed love for the Micronauts (And wanting to use Bug), the Guardians characters go kind of graft on well to the Micronauts from Marvel. Rann/Starlord, Mari/Gamora, Acroyear/Dax, Huntarr/Groot, Rocket/Bug.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Since Marvel and Hasbro are already working together, seems like action figures of the Marvel versions were possible. Tying in to the MU would probably put the brand over with a new generation.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎