Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody remember when the Thing mutated?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ yeah, I had that comic as a tot and remember reading it to death. Hulk liked the arch because it reminded him of a rock formation in the desert.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Fantastic Four #167....

image.jpg

Think I still have a copy around here somewhere...
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Thanks all. I'm researching that story arc right now. Looks like the "suit" shows up in issue 170. I gotta pick these up now.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

This is wild to read. I know this Marvel era by rote, so it's wild to read people wondering what happened when. At the same time, I couldn't tell you squat about DC until Byrne's Superman reboot.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
            This is wild to read. I know this Marvel era by rote, so it's wild to read people wondering what happened when. At the same time, I couldn't tell you squat about DC until Byrne's Superman reboot.
            Same here, hedrap. These are the comics that I literally grew up with and were affordable enough that a trip to the neighborhood drugstore or convenience mart could easily score you four or five new comics as well as an ICEE and a bag of chips or a candy bar! Man, there wasn't anything better than flopping down under the oak tree in the back yard with Spidey, the FF, Batman, Nova and Daredevil and letting my mind just----go.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Agreed...I freaking LOVED his Hobgoblin stuff. I see a lot of Romita Sr. in his work too.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14541[/ATTACH]
              I'd agree about Hobgoblin--he never looked better.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Red Hulk
                Career Member
                • Dec 19, 2012

That cover with mutated Thing is pretty cool but Thing stronger than the Hulk...Bah.

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

The issue with the Thing and Hulk fighting (167) and the one with the splash page of Ben and the suit Reed made for him (170) were the first two issues of the FF I ever bought. I didn't miss another issue for decades. I had read or at least looked through some other issues and had the Marvel Origins and Son of Origins books prior to than but had never read the comic before. Shortly there after I got Reed, Ben and Johnny mego figures.

I really enjoyed the FF issues where Byrne de-evolved the Thing and the Marvel Two and One issue (I think No. 50) where Ben traveled back in time or possibly to a parallel universe/reality to meet himself just after the accident and the two versions of the Thing grappled.

I remember the horned Thing. I want to say Steve Englehart may have written those issues. Love Englehart's work and these stories weren't bad, but did not care for the female Thing. I think this was around the same time that Johnny and Alicia were together. Never liked that, but it did create conflict and tension.

Ron Frenz is underrated in my book as well. He was always able to capture the classic feel of whatever book he worked on whether it be FF, Spidey or Thor. He does a lot of great commission work today. Check it out at catskillscomics.com

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

I loved the Thing in maybe the first couple dozen issues of Marvel Two in One. The issue with Tigra was one of the first Marvels I bought, then Doc Savage showed up in MtiO and Then I was buying everything! Back when you still could!

Big fan of Ron Frenz, he had great runs on Thor, Superman, and Spider Girl. Very clean, action oriented style , and probably none better at getting that Kirby vibe going!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

I remember the Thing's spiky mutation well. It was interesting, but I was glad when he reverted back to his normal look.

The Thing is one of my all time favourite comic book characters. Love it when he goes toe to toe with Marvel's other heavy hitters.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Mar 29, '15, 4:34 PM.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎