Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody remember when the Thing mutated?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Anybody remember when the Thing mutated?

I seem to remember the Thing mutating and getting bigger with sharp pointy rocks in the late 80's maybe early 90's but I can't seem to remember exactly when or where.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

I believe it was sometime mid-nineties. I pretty much dropped FF after Byrne left the book, but I remember picking an issue up with "The Pointy Thing" and commenting on ridiculous he looked.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I had one comic with him like that where he fought the grey Hulk. I remember thinking he looked pretty cool.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
        Career Member
        • May 14, 2007

Fantastic Four #310 (January 1988) features the mutated Thing on the cover according to this Comic Book DB page and then he gets worse:

28645_20060428135449_large.jpg
        Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

I remember that. Its the only time that Thing was stronger than the Hulk.
          861019.jpg

Originally posted by enyawd72
          I seem to remember the Thing mutating and getting bigger with sharp pointy rocks in the late 80's maybe early 90's but I can't seem to remember exactly when or where.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Yep, I remember that. Reed and Sue took some time off, and Crystal and a new Ms. Marvel, who eventually mutated into a lumpy She-Thing, filled out the team.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by clemso
              I remember that. Its the only time that Thing was stronger than the Hulk.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14526[/ATTACH]
              That's the book! Mutated or not, that's a great cover...love the way Doom and the Hulk look.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Ron Frenz is highly underrated. Equal parts Kirby, Ditko and Buscema. He's like the result of a Marvel cloning project!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^Ron Frenz is highly underrated. Equal parts Kirby, Ditko and Buscema. He's like the result of a Marvel cloning project!

Chris
                  Agreed...I freaking LOVED his Hobgoblin stuff. I see a lot of Romita Sr. in his work too.
                  spider-man-amazing-275-hobgoblin.jpg
                  Last edited by enyawd72; Mar 27, '15, 8:21 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Shadow got it. It was after they dropped the solo book and wanted to change the team up. IIRC, Reed and Sue joined the Avengers around this time, Ms. marvel became She-Thing and Ben became Ben again at the end of the run.

Thing's mutation sprang from one of the greatest What If issues ever, where he and Beast keep changing.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

This thread brought up a long forgotten memory of mine, that I may be making up, but was there a time--probably mid- to late-70s--where the Thing was just Ben in a costume? He had been healed, for lack of a better term, but still dressed up as the Thing. Did that happen?
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• clemso
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 8, 2001

Yes I think it did. Think all of them lost their powers.

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                        This thread brought up a long forgotten memory of mine, that I may be making up, but was there a time--probably mid- to late-70s--where the Thing was just Ben in a costume? He had been healed, for lack of a better term, but still dressed up as the Thing. Did that happen?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Was that originally seen in the Lee/Kirby FF/Daredevil story where Doom takes over the Baxter Building? I know the FF lost their powers, but I can't remember if he had a remote-controlled robot filling in for him, or it was him in a suit.

I know Walter Simonson had Ben in the suit immediately following this run, and then when he became the Thing again, it was the classic version.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Just found this on marvel.com. "During a period where Ben had made a seemingly permanent reversion to his human form, the FF hired super-mercenary Luke Cage to serve as Ben's replacement; however, Ben soon rejoined the FF after Reed provided Ben with a suit of strength-enhancing armor that outwardly resembled his Thing form."

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm remembering. Now I just need to figure out what issue(s) that was in.

And sorry for the thread hi-jack!
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Can't remember the exact issues, but I do remember that Ben was fighting/buddying up with the Hulk and Reed reasoned that his prolonged exposure to the Hulk's gamma radiation is what triggered the change. I remember Ben and the Hulk dukin' it out (on top of the St. Louis Arch, I think) and the Hulk knocks Ben off. He changes back to Ben Grimm on the way down and The Human Torch keeps him from becoming a Benjy pancake...
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎