Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else other than Toyroom & Mego73 do boxes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheButcher69
    • Mar 20, 2015

Who else other than Toyroom & Mego73 do boxes?

Who else other than Toyroom & Mego73 do boxes for the 8" KISS Retro Series 1 that will have them in stock ready to ship or that will get them done quickly?
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

wish someone in the uk did boxes or cards with clams

Comment

• TheButcher69
      • Mar 20, 2015

I'm surprised daz no one does across the pond you guys always have cool stuff! I'd be afraid to order from the states as my packages always seem to be destroyed by the post office I could only imagine shipping over seas & the time frame alone would be crazy! I like to make things myself. I'm a former machinist & now make decals & t-shirts. I think this business would be cool to get into.

Comment

• TheButcher69
        • Mar 20, 2015

Daz just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ko8rUhkxU8 & with a vinyl cutter/plotter they can be cut out quickly & cleanly. All I need is a good color printer. but do I want to invest in one. Just a thought for you since no one does it over there.

Comment

• daz71
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2014

yes i'll probably have to do them myself .there are ones for sale on ebay but the shipping is £30 plus £9 for the box from the u.s. which is crazy.

Comment

• TheButcher69
            • Mar 20, 2015

I totally agree that crazy!

Comment

• Mego Magyar
              Permanent Member
              • Jan 17, 2011

Making your own boxes isn't that hard, megoknight and I both make our own boxes. Just make sure to use a very sharp knife and get a piece of metal to cut on, something like a cookie sheet, it will make the cutting a lot smoother and cleaner.

Comment

• TheButcher69
                • Mar 20, 2015

magyar1964 I have a vinyl cutter/plotter that would cut perfect but I don't have a color printer. What card stock do you recommend & do you have templates for 8 inch KISS figures.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

Well even though I have a printer that will handle 11x17 I don't print out boxes myself. I have it done at Staples, unfortunately they don't have very thick stock but once I put the insert in it's good enough for me. I think megoknight gets it done at Office Max and they have thicker stock then what I get at Staples. From what I understand Toyroom & Mego73 do their own and used thick cardboard stock that's much sturdier then what mk and I do.

I don't collect KISS so I don't have anything setup for them. I do have box templates that I use in Photoshop for different things, I've made Happy Days boxes as well as POTA and WGSH. I design mk's boxes for him.
                  Last edited by Mego Magyar; Mar 27, '15, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• aceclone
                    • Sep 3, 2013

I talked to the one guy who used to live in my town - who makes/made all of the KISS Custom stuff you'd see on Ebay (the repro microphone, van, the coloring sets, cereal boxes, etc.) and he used to sell PDF files of professional scans of the Mego Boxes and when he said he made them himself, he would have the oversized prints done at a printing place and would use adhesive spray and glued the thin colored prints to poster board (the cheap kind you get at any dollar store or craft store) and then used an exacto knife to cut them out and make the folding perforations.

Originally posted by magyar1964
                    Well even though I have a printer that will handle 11x17 I don't print out boxes myself. I have it done at Staples, unfortunately they don't have very thick stock but once I put the insert in it's good enough for me. I think megoknight gets it done at Office Max and they have thicker stock then what I get at Staples. From what I understand Toyroom & Mego73 do their own and used thick cardboard stock that's much sturdier then what mk and I do.

I don't collect KISS so I don't have anything setup for them. I do have box templates that I use in Photoshop for different things, I've made Happy Days boxes as well as POTA and WGSH. I design mk's boxes for him.

Comment

• TheButcher69
                      • Mar 20, 2015

Thanks magyar1964 & aceclone for your help. I did want heavy stock with the printing right on in. I didn't want to glue anything to heavy stuff. I'm well versed in graphics design but as far as templates go for making boxes the correct size that's another story.
                      Last edited by EMCE Hammer; Mar 28, '15, 3:14 AM.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jan 17, 2011

While Staple doesn't have heavy stock I've asked that if I brought in my own stock would they print to it and as long as it will feed through their machine it would be ok. I have some heavy 11x17 photo stock that would make pretty good boxes but I don't know if it's still on the market.

As for the size, it's 10.5 inches wide by 13 inches tall for the standard male box. The basic template can be found here http://megomuseum.com/custom/boxtemplates.shtml If you separate out the front window you can place it where ever you need for the seeing the figure. Once I changed the position for megokinght before I sent him the finished image.

Comment

• TheButcher69
                          • Mar 20, 2015

Thank you VERY for that info!

Comment

• Actorjez
                            • Sep 17, 2014

Do a member search for Dengar on eBay. His stuff is great, very high quality cardboard.

I also highly recommend the Toyroom.

Both guys do awesome work and are nice guys to boot.

Comment

• TheButcher69
                              • Mar 20, 2015

Thank you Actorjez I will

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍