X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by fallensaviour
    How about the horta from star trek...Now that was a cheap monster/alien costume if I ever saw one.
    Nahhh,
    The Horta was TOP NOTCH SPECIAL EFFECTS compared to that Gamera Chinese star monster

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

I recently saw some sorta Fish/Gator thing on the SciFi channel,.. it was so damn stupid,.. & could bairly move. This thing would crawl up to it's victims,.. then eat them,.. all they really had to do was walk away.

... Come to think of it,.. I've scene some really bad Monsters on SciFi's low budget,.. or no Buget D movies as of late.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ramsey37
        The critter from "The Creeping Terror" beats them all, hands down. It looks like a couple of guys crawling underneath a moldy rug
        George
        We have a winner here, lol.

That one was beyond terrible, great call.

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Tor Johnson
          MST 3000
          YouTube - Mystery Science Theater 3000: Bride of the Monster (11 / 12)

m

Comment

• Seeker
            Neptunians RULE!
            • Feb 20, 2008

There was this one monster movie , I dont remeber the name but there were these giant crystals. They would grow out of the ground a couple of hundred feet then fall over and regrow. They were attacking this town. One of the stupidest ideas for a monster ever.

Lets see does anyone remember the Attack of the Giant leeches?

I also might add any movie that glued sails or spikes to some poor iguana to make a cheap dinosaur movie.
            Last edited by Seeker; Mar 30, '08, 2:49 AM.
            Lo there do I see my Father.
            Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
            Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
            Lo they do call me.
            They bid me take my place among them.
            In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

How about that ridiculous bird monster from "The Giant Claw"? That was supposed to be scary? It looked like a large version of "Nutty Bird" from "The Bugaloos"!
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ramsey37
                • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Seeker
                There was this one monster movie , I dont remeber the name but there were these giant crystals. They would grow out of the ground a couple of hundred feet then fall over and regrow. They were attacking this town. One of the stupidest ideas for a monster ever.
                That would be Universal's "The Monolith Monsters". I remember seeing that as a teen and being disappointed that there were no actual monsters in the movie
                George

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Hey, my kids love the Monolith Monsters. One of them even asked me to record it for her.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by megoat
                    Yeah, man, how can you dis Harryhausen? Unless by "stupid" you mean stupidly frickin' awesome!
                    Is "stupid" a trait you look for in a movie monster?

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Just about anything that fought the original gamera. Especially that 4 armed squid or tha thing that had a knife nose.

>He'd shoot Chinese stars out of his nose-horn

You guys are mixing up two of 'em. The squid thing was from one of the later moves; and the shuriken monster is from the third film. I can't remember the names. (And I'm kind of ashamed to admit that....) The shuriken monster is actually a ninja monster. (And Japanese, not Chinese. Wow, I am such a nerd....) Not only does he shoot stars, but his head is modeled on a ninja sword.

>How about that ridiculous bird monster from "The Giant Claw"?

NOW we have a winner! Not only is it obviously of the breed "wooden puppetus cheapus" BUT in the story it's from another dimension, and is made of material SO DENSE that Earth weapons can't harm it.

*snicker*

>Tor Johnson

That is SOOOO fake looking! You can tell it's two kids in a suit!

>Is "stupid" a trait you look for in a movie monster?

HELL YEAH! Effects are nice; but they don't impress me so much 'cos the monsters in a movie AREN'T real. So making them look real is nice; but I'd rather see something totally off the wall. Ever since I was a kid I've enjoyed the idea of a monster more than the technical bits. (Be it SFX or realistic conceptualization.) Case in point: you guys have mentioned a lot of my favourite beasties on this list.

One thing that bugs me about current effects, especially CGI is that it took a lot of the imagination out of movie monsters. Since they've all got to be "realistic" they tend to fall into fewer more easily defined categories. And when designed for CGI they tend to use a lot of already established vectors. Was it just me, or were the mutants from "I Am Legend" A LOT like the morlocks from the last "The Time Machine" movie?

Now, I'd LOVE to see something like "The Giant Claw" rendered with modern effects; but keeping the same look. Nobody does that though.

'Course the line between "stupid" and "totally rocks!" is a narrow one. Take the Dalek; one of the world's most recognizable and beloved (is that the right term?) monsters. It's also one of the STUPIDEST ideas for a bad guy. A salt shaker with a gun. That probably shouldn't be able to climb the stairs. OR use a doorknob. BUT it's always PRESENTED as being threatening, so the audience accepts it.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I have this awesome poster in my living room, I love it but the monsters are gawdawful.

Zontar : The Thing From Venus is a cheaper remake of "It conquered the world"

Larry Buchanan is a god of the paper mache monster.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 18, 2007

What? nobody named the scary sleestack from the land of the lost? They moved at the rate of a tottering child learning to walk, and had the flexibility of Bill and Ted in their suits of armor. (they still gave me nightmares)

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎