Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand these animal psychologists…

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

Just got mine in today. The purple is a bit too sparkly for my taste but all in all, this is a great figure.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
      I'm no Ape expert: did the soldiers have different shades of clothes?
      The soldiers/hunters clothes were just the one shade...

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

^^ first 1/9 tunic to get the backside stitching correct.

There are few good sources of original costumes (including Simian Arms); this one is a quickie that combines useful reference images for customs: http://r2-r9.com/POTA15.htm

It's been noted that the costumes throughout the series, especially the gorilla ranks, were used over and over again with subsequent shrinking budgets. The costume team would repair them as needed and they also had to be re-dyed as the purple tended to fade in the sun and over time.

Comment

• Judson's
          • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
          Just got mine in today. The purple is a bit too sparkly for my taste but all in all, this is a great figure.
          I was thinking maybe you could hit it with some flat/matte clear acrylic spray (like you'd use for wood furniture) to take the shine off and reduce the sparkly disco/Donny Osmond effect on that purple material. Is it just a matter of the fabric being too glossy, or does it actually have sparkles in it?

It's weird. NECA's plastics/sculpting people are at the top of their game and doing great work, but their fabric/clothing people make some odd... uh... "creative" choices with the material (like Taylor's fleecy flightsuit). Maybe it's just a matter of "use whatever fabric the factory in China has lying around" or something, meaning they have no control over it.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Judson's

It's weird. NECA's plastics/sculpting people are at the top of their game and doing great work, but their fabric/clothing people make some odd... uh... "creative" choices with the material (like Taylor's fleecy flightsuit). Maybe it's just a matter of "use whatever fabric the factory in China has lying around" or something, meaning they have no control over it.
            Exactly. This is my only complaint with Neca. It's as if the fabrics were "phoned in", over a very bad line...
            Strange, because the fabric for the prototype Gorilla was perfect. It's as if a guy in China said, "we need to get rid of this cloth, use it on that monkey, nobody will know the difference."

I hope the fabric and leather aren't attached, so I can easily make my apes some new "deep purple" PJs, the non-sparkly kind. Otherwise, he looks great!
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Remco Monster
              GLOWS in the Dark!
              • May 3, 2006

The shiny fabric completely ruined this figure for me. Will have to pass.

Comment

• pmwasson
                Maker
                • Sep 12, 2007

I just picked him up at Toys R Us and think he is great!
                sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• johnpauljones
                  • Oct 13, 2007

Got mine today and I love it! The fabric didn't look nearly as shiny on mine. The only thing keeping him from being perfect for me was the absence of the bandolier.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

Here's a great deal: https://www.bc-toys.com/shop/neca/pl...rilla-solider/

50% off NECA in stock with coupon code: CHANGE

At the moment they still have two Soldiers left. Enjoy!

… two days later they STILL have two in stock. FFS, these are $15 with a $5 flat shipping fee. Someone (besides me) should pick these up!
                    Last edited by Confessional; Apr 7, '15, 4:48 PM. Reason: … spreading good fortune with little resolve.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Grabbed the last one. Thanks for the link!

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Ah, that's excellent.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I didn't know he had dirt stains painted on his paints and sleeves. Looks great in person! So glad I got this figure.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Not big into Apes figures, but that one, especially the detail on the head sculpt, looks really nice.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Picked him up at Toys R Us the other day... I like him and all, but the shiny fabric does kind of put a damper on him... Still, I hope they continue on with making more 8" scale APES figures...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎