X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by TRDouble
    I think the classic costume can be challenging to get to near perfection, but I hope they at least nail the head sculpt. I haven't seen a custom one that I like.
    I've wanted to do this as a custom forever, but lack the skills -- I think something screen printed, using basically the same suit pattern as the Falcon, with a Superman/Aquaman-style belt, minus wings but with a nylon collar, plus blue pirate boots, would rock it and capture the look of the character and Mego from ~1977.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by knight errant00
      Yes -- I've always pictured a Mego Swamp Thing with a Wrightson-style head (as opposed to the more modern mossy-viney head) on a Hulk body and a printed pajama suit like the Thing.
      I bet thats what the head will look like. I hope so anyway! They seem to follow the style guide pretty closely, so I wonder what he looks like in the guide.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Black Canary--9 of 10. I think this is one of the best female heads I've seen form FTC. The open mouth accommodates her canary-cry but is not overdone IMO. The eye detailing and especially the brows look good, particularly in comparison to the WW wave. The costume is great, very close to what I commissioned years ago for my custom Canary. Minus one point for yellow instead of blonde hair, but that's a matter of taste.

(Mary, per your post above: You might also consider swapping out to an IG head.)

I hope they get the scale and details right for Black Lightning, and I'd like to see Swamp Thing in a screened suit with a bit of leaf appliques.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Yes -- I've always pictured a Mego Swamp Thing with a Wrightson-style head (as opposed to the more modern mossy-viney head) on a Hulk body and a printed pajama suit like the Thing.
          Swamp Thing was usually drawn very top-heavy--a "Brock Samson-style" body might be the best way to go.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I've wanted to do this as a custom forever, but lack the skills -- I think something screen printed, using basically the same suit pattern as the Falcon, with a Superman/Aquaman-style belt, minus wings but with a nylon collar, plus blue pirate boots, would rock it and capture the look of the character and Mego from ~1977.
            This is largely how I picture "Mego" BL as well, with the addition of a white vinyl, or as you suggest nylon, collar.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

And regarding the Capt. Eagle costume--that's the sort I really love: Like a play-suit, instead of a big licensed face on the front.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Black Canary--9 of 10. I think this is one of the best female heads I've seen form FTC. The open mouth accommodates her canary-cry but is not overdone IMO. The eye detailing and especially the brows look good, particularly in comparison to the WW wave. The costume is great, very close to what I commissioned years ago for my custom Canary. Minus one point for yellow instead of blonde hair, but that's a matter of taste.

(Mary, per your post above: You might also consider swapping out to an IG head.)

I hope they get the scale and details right for Black Lightning, and I'd like to see Swamp Thing in a screened suit with a bit of leaf appliques.
                Are head swaps hard to do? I also thought about the IG head, or like I said, I have an extra Samantha.
                I noticed the new Mego female bodies don't have that extra neck piece, which is what worries me with the FTC figures - popping the head off without busting that little extra neck piece.
                I think once I have BC in hand I'll know if I can live with the face or not - they always look a little different in person.
                I do like the yellow hair. It's not quite as natural blonde as, say, Supergirl or Samantha. But BC wears a wig, so maybe the vivid yellow works for her.
                It definitely looks very "comic book" the way it pops against the blue and black.

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                  Are head swaps hard to do? I also thought about the IG head, or like I said, I have an extra Samantha.
                  I noticed the new Mego female bodies don't have that extra neck piece, which is what worries me with the FTC figures - popping the head off without busting that little extra neck piece.
                  I think once I have BC in hand I'll know if I can live with the face or not - they always look a little different in person.
                  I do like the yellow hair. It's not quite as natural blonde as, say, Supergirl or Samantha. But BC wears a wig, so maybe the vivid yellow works for her.
                  It definitely looks very "comic book" the way it pops against the blue and black.
                  I think I like the bright yellow hair because it reminds me of BC's wig.

Swapping heads on classic Mego style females is a very easy pop & swap process; no additional steps needed.

I read here that it is not a perfect match between classic Mego style and Mego 2.0 females though.

Comment

• Figure8
                    Museum Patron
                    • May 18, 2016

I'm impressed by that Black Canary! It's difficult to make really compelling heroines given the awkward female Mego body they have to work with. But this one's a must-have for me. I wonder when she'll be available? I'm still waiting for the Atom, FTC!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I put an FTC "Isis" head onto a vintage body without much difficulty. The trick is to angle the neck post into the head opening whilst simultaneously twisting and pushing it to seat it. You can also warm the head a bit but be careful, excess heat will melt the hair. (Try hot water vs. a hair dryer.)

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

I like this one a lot. Would love it if FTC could do a Legends of the Superheroes line based on the tv special. Get more use out of West, Ward and Gorshin, along with variants of some figures they already pumped out like Flash, GL, Sinestro, Canary, Grundy, Capt. Marvel and Sivana.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

So will this be part of a JLA wave? or a DC wave with BC, Creeper and a couple more?
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I'll say this: If Black Canary and Creeper are the direction for FTC's newer figures, it's a good sign.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              And regarding the Capt. Eagle costume--that's the sort I really love: Like a play-suit, instead of a big licensed face on the front.
                              I wore that Halloween costume as a kid! The mask had Capt. Eagle's eyepatch, but it still had 2 big gaping eyeholes on the mask... giving more of a Petey from Little Rascals look. So I "fixed it" by coloring a piece of notebook paper with a black magic marker and taping it into the eyehole. When I wore it in the 2nd grade costume parade at school, my teacher was very concerned about me parading with one eye covered... but I was insistent that anything less would betray the integrity of the character.

I also learned quickly that none of my friends had ever heard of the Eagle Force.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

That's a great story. As a costumer, I can appreciate your attention to detail.

How I wish Mego Corp. would do an 8" Capt Eagle.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎