X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daz71
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2014

carded riddler fistfighter

think i just found out how i got a carder riddler fistfighter.it says in the wgsh book that some old stock was put on cards in late 70s/early 80s.explains how i got one in 1981.
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by daz71
    think i just found out how i got a carder riddler fistfighter.it says in the wgsh book that some old stock was put on cards in late 70s/early 80s.explains how i got one in 1981.
    I hope you're not talking about the WGSH book I wrote.

Perhaps you're referring to the Toys R' Us 'Generic Red' Card? No Fist-Fighters were ever produced on that card variation.

I remember your previous post on this topic, so I know your memory insists otherwise, but Fist Fighting Riddler was never released on ANY Blister Card. As I recall, you stated your FF Riddler came from America (makes sense; it's the only such version Mego produced).

In an effort to reason out your memory, I can offer a few possibilities:

The U.S. box has a flap, which kind of looks like a card in that the figure is off-center, but there are no U.S. FF cards. Additionally, did you ever receive any UK Fist-Fighters (Batman and Robin plus 4 characters not made in the U.S.; Spiderman, Superman, Lizard and Captain America) as a kid? Riddler was not one of those characters, but if you had received a different UK FF character — and given those WERE sold on Blister Cards — I can see how your memory could mix the two and suggest your U.S.-issued FF Riddler came on a Blister Card.

- Benjamin

Comment

• daz71
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2014

no i got a lizard fist fighter from here in the u.k. it had a black lever on the back the riddler has a flesh coloured lever.it was 1981 when i got the riddler fist fighter and they had stopped making the ff's by then hadn't they.it says in the book some loose figures could have been put on the late cards it was not on a ff card just a regular card with the circle pics on the front with no mention of it been a ff .

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

no i got a lizard fist fighter from here in the u.k. it had a black lever on the back the riddler has a flesh coloured lever.it was 1981 when i got the riddler fist fighter and they had stopped making the ff's by then hadn't they.it says in the book some loose figures could have been put on the late cards it was not on a ff card just a regular card with the circle pics on the front with no mention of it been a ff .
        With Mego, I suppose anything is possible. Especially toward the end. But the absence of any evidence to support your claim reminds me of Occam's razor: the fewer assumptions made, the better. Suggesting that a solitary Fist Fighter — a body style Mego stopped producing five years before they produced the 'Generic Red' Card for Toys R' Us — seems a stretch. Then again, there are 'Generic Red' Carded Aquaman figures that feature costume elements thought to have been discontinued by 1981.

So who knows? It's possible, but strikes me as unlikely. The burden of proof is yours, and memories don't qualify as proof. Time to go through your mom's old photo albums!

- Benjamin

Comment

• imp
          Mego Book Author
          • Apr 20, 2003

Just to confirm, this is the specific packaging you recall?

- Benjamin

Comment

• daz71
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2014

yes i never had a figure in a box

Comment

• imp
              Mego Book Author
              • Apr 20, 2003

yes i never had a figure in a box
              Interesting. However, this particular packaging variation presents a unique plausibility gap: Mego produced this 'Generic Red' card for Toys R' Us (SKU'ed under Mego assortment #51317). In order for TRU to RETAIL this item at the known $2.97 price point (which is actually less than Mego was WHOLESALING other WGSH figures in 1981), the retailer would have unquestionably taken the order FOB Hong Kong*. How would you, located in the UK, have received a package that would have gone directly from the factory in Hong Kong to TRU's primary distribution facility in New Jersey? (NB: TRU did not exist in the UK in 1981).

Did you say before that you thought the figure came from Heroes World? One would have to wonder how HW could possibly come to possess any TRU-exclusive packaging. I suppose it's possible that Heroes World employees bought 'Generic Red' Card figures from their local TRU with the intention of reselling them through their stores and comic book catalogs.

POSSIBLE?

LIKELY?

It's fun to think about this stuff, but I'm still unconvinced. I hope any MM members who own such a specimen will double-check their Red Carded Riddlers!

- Benjamin

*FOB=Freight On Board, meaning Toys R' Us would have taken possession of the goods directly from the factory… specifically from the ship yard in Kowloon, precluding other retailers and catalog houses from offering this variation.

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

While I am indeed no expert on Mego. I can say with 100% clarity what happened at our local Kmart with Hasbro late Gijoe product. My family went to K-mart almost every Saturday for most of my young life. They had 2 the same old Eagle Eye Gijoes on the pegs both broken in package until 1980-81. I had read about old toys being collectible and decided to buy stuff and set it back. At this time the rare Hard Handed Gijoe Muscle body Joes(Bulletman Hand mold in Flesh color Bulletman's were molded in white plastic and chrome plated) Figure were on the wrong card and were both Eagle Eyed and still eyed version. Figures seemed to use up left overs and some new parts. My friend talked me out of buying them because he reasoned Hasbro was ripping off little kids because the cards said with Kung Fu Grip. I agreed and passed.I was 15 and way into collectibles at the time. None have shown up MOC(loose yes, MOC no) they do exist though. My point is often left overs had a strange path. Were these figures used for other foreign markets? Or were they dumped at cheap outlets in USA? Why did these figures show up for sale years after the last issue 1976 for sale in 1979-81? I know of late issue Atomic Man Moc with 2 clear shins another late clearnace issue. Like I said this isn't Mego but who knows what's out there.
                Last edited by Neutron X; Mar 5, '15, 8:35 PM.

Comment

• great_chandel
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2, 2015

Benjamin:

I just wanted to say how much I loved your book! I remember ordering it years ago on Amazon.com. It was just superb! I still refer to it all the time whenever I have any questions about a WGSH.
                  Again, just a phenominal book.........

Comment

• imp
                    Mego Book Author
                    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Neutron X
                    Like I said this isn't Mego but who knows what's out there.
                    Hey, both Fox Mulder and I WANT TO BELIEVE. But this would be a pretty big deal. Riddler is desirable in any packaging style. Fist Fighting Riddler is a tough piece to come by, Loose or MIB. Red Cards are insanely rare. Put them all together into a single potential variation? All I'm saying is, this would be a REALLY BIG DEAL for WGSH packaging collectors, and I'm disinclined to leave it up to one person's memories, which are notoriously unreliable.

Originally posted by great_chandel
                    Benjamin: I just wanted to say how much I loved your book! I remember ordering it years ago on Amazon.com. It was just superb! I still refer to it all the time whenever I have any questions about a WGSH.
                    Again, just a phenominal book.........
                    That's awesome. I'm glad you still dig it, and appreciate you letting me know!

- Benjamin

Comment

• daz71
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2014

yes i bought what i could get over here then i had a comic with an advert with heroes world in it i rang them as i wanted thor,iron man,mr.fantastic but the only ones they had that i didn't have were shazam,falcon,riddler and mr.mxz.it never advertised them as fist fighters and there was no mention on the card of it been a ff when i opened it i was a bit disappointed as i wasn't keen on them as the arms felt slacker.i remember it been on the card like above but the card was yellow not red

Comment

• imp
                        Mego Book Author
                        • Apr 20, 2003

i remember it been on the card like above but the card was yellow not red
                        The card I believe you're talking about is often called the 'Kitchen Sink' card; it was a yellow ®1979 Superman card, which can be found with and without a piece of yellow tape covering the "Superman" logo. To date, only Aquaman and Captain America figures have been confirmed to exist on that card, yet it seems a lot more likely your Fist Fighting Riddler would have been on the yellow 'Kitchen Sink' Card than the Toys R' Us-exclusive 'Generic Red' card.

I have never heard of a Fist Fighter (of any character) appearing on either Blister Card variation. Definitely something for collectors to keep their eyes peeled for. IMO, it would be a huge discovery to a small group of collectors.

- Benjamin

Comment

• daz71
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2014

i never thought anything of it until i read the books wish i had kept him on the card but first thing i did was ripped them off and played with them at that time the others i got were carded but not fist fighters and mr.mxz was a type 1 body

Comment

• daz71
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2014

tried to post a pic of him but won't upload tried to send it in an email just keeps saying sending what am i doing wrong

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎