X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Price for Mego Figures?

Does anyone remember the price points on Mego figures at retail back in the day? I'm sure they varied from store to store and region to region.

Also were different lines sold at different price points?

I had super hero figures first, but can't recall how much they were when they first came out. I distinctly remember Wal-Mart selling the western and Monster figures for a dollar apiece the first time I saw them, but I'm guessing the heroes were more. My mom bought me a Human Werewolf and Davy Crockett, the Sunday before I started first grade.
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Based on the ones I have with price stickers the average price was around $4.00 both boxed and carded. Some are a little more and some less. I only have WGSH packaged so I can;t speak about other lines.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
      Does anyone remember the price points on Mego figures at retail back in the day? I'm sure they varied from store to store and region to region.

Also were different lines sold at different price points?

I had super hero figures first, but can't recall how much they were when they first came out. I distinctly remember Wal-Mart selling the western and Monster figures for a dollar apiece the first time I saw them, but I'm guessing the heroes were more. My mom bought me a Human Werewolf and Davy Crockett, the Sunday before I started first grade.
      When figures like Action Jackson and the initial wave of WGSH came out in Louisville, they were roughly somewhere in the $2.00 range. ($1.97 to $2.35). As the years went by that price moved up to mid 3's and by the end of the 70's early 80's they had become somewhere in the $4.00 to $5.00 range as the imports started hitting shelves.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Thanks for the input

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

i always remembered prices at 2.99 when they were sold in boxes,3.99 on card at places like jc penny,sears K-mart when they were not clearanced.i
          also remember Planet of the apes at 4.99 at woolworths,and that M&F wanted 5.99-which was high to me at the time,i also recall Star trek at 4.99,
          and most of the superheroes at 3.99 ,payless was 3.99 for megos,but here in port ore we had a store called toyland ,their average was 4.99 ,i recall
          the ahi action ape for 3.99,and at fred meyer mr rock for 2.99 .i remember these well cause i bought all these figures at the time,i would shop around
          for the best deal and compare prices.M&F had the earlier Apes figures with black/brown vynal on the chimps with green and brown outfits,and dark hair
          rather then the light hair & burgundy vynal .the earlier ones looked more like the movies.but they wanted a dollar more ,and for a kid that was a lot of
          money.i bought the first ones that i liked.later they all had the new look & type 2 bodies.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
            When figures like Action Jackson and the initial wave of WGSH came out in Louisville, they were roughly somewhere in the $2.00 range. ($1.97 to $2.35). As the years went by that price moved up to mid 3's and by the end of the 70's early 80's they had become somewhere in the $4.00 to $5.00 range as the imports started hitting shelves.
            This seems to be what is reflected in the ads over the years. It's also reflected in the various price stickers on some of my toys.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎