Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dumbldor
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 9, 2002

Mego collecting peaked at least 10 years ago.

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ as in monetary peak, or are you also feeling the collector base was larger then too?

I'm also wondering about the accuracy of that calculation, given the number of companies that are currently, and have recently (across the last 10 years), invested in the Re-Mego effort. I would think you might consider their profits counting towards the collective value as a market force.

It's also of note that 10 years ago, 2005, marked the lunacy of consumer spending that would ultimately forecast the depression/recession economy of the following years.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

When I came here, in 2008, I finally had a chance to get the Megos I always wanted. It was a golden age for me.
        Now that I more or less have what I wanted, I buy maybe one per year. So that kind of takes me out of the vintage buyers' market.

Combine that (as said above) with the huge offer of new figures, and it doesn't surprise me that prices are going down a bit. It's the same thing with Star Wars. Only unusual pieces in supermint condition still find a quick buyer.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• dumbldor
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 9, 2002

Originally posted by Confessional
          ^^ as in monetary peak, or are you also feeling the collector base was larger then too?

I'm also wondering about the accuracy of that calculation, given the number of companies that are currently, and have recently (across the last 10 years), invested in the Re-Mego effort. I would think you might consider their profits counting towards the collective value as a market force.

It's also of note that 10 years ago, 2005, marked the lunacy of consumer spending that would ultimately forecast the depression/recession economy of the following years.
          Reading the OP, I took it to mean vintage Mego only. I do believe that prices, interest, enthusiasm, participation, competition, etc etc in the vintage market peaked around 2005. Certainly by 2008, there was a drop off. I agree with you that it is no coincidence that consumer spending in general followed a similar trend.

Regarding re-mego, there is no doubt that renaissance came a bit later.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by MegoMark71
            I thought the type 2 version was a lot more rare than a type 1. At least it was when i was buying. Maybe i just paid too much.
            The type 2 is much rarer but only slightly more valuable. The WGSH had such great character choices which are even more relevant now than back then. With Green Arrow, Aquaman, Teen Titans, and the Super Gals all having a huge following. Mxy being a rare time mego missed the mark.

Comment

• MegoMark71
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 18, 2008

Some really good feedback here, Glad i brought it up. And i was talking about just the vintage mego's. I love that we are getting all the retro love. But for me, only an authentic vintage mego can take me back to 8 years old again. Heck that is the reason i took all my retro Mattel figures and put them on vintage mego bodies. I will be offering those up next. And I'm not selling all my figures. There are a bunch that are staying put on my wall of super heroes. Really should have taken some pictures before i started selling though.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                Superman's Pal
                • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by dumbldor
                I agree. I'm not even sure it's any specific market factors like a poor economy or readily available reproductions so much as the original Mego collectors maturing and adjusting their spending priorities. We're not in our late 20s/early 30s any more.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I'm finding it much harder to find nice vintage stuff on ebay--maybe those collectors of several years ago are holding onto items. Then again, I don't search as obsessively as I one did.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

^ I think you're correct. I may be wrong but it seems to me that a decade (plus) ago, I could find many more vintage Megos on eBay and they were all auctions. Not only 8 inch but the 12 inch and 3 3/4 size. Back then, there would be, at least, two full pages of a main character listed for auction (Superman, Batman Spider-Man, etc) Rarer figures would pop-up. It was a lot of fun! I'm not sure what's happened now.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• mishu2nite
                      Persistent Member
                      • Nov 26, 2001

Originally posted by dumbldor
                      +1 on this.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎