Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XXXPHOENIX
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 26, 2008

This is confusing...I read ton of info about RM but never heard of a stitching nor I have ever noticed it in any RM pics!
    SO It's a detail I have not looked for in my mask...tomorrow I will check if this stitching is there or not.
    I have pictures of at least 5 original (or claimed to be) Robin Removable masks and they look identical to the one in my possession...
    My mask looks identical to the one pictured here:

and here

Federico

Originally posted by josephcardone
    Frederico - good thing you posted the additional pics - I don't see stitching at all - If this is correct (the pictures are a bit difficult to see) - this is probably made using a Maddie Mod material (long story) - the mask is about $15 or $20 and the figure would be around $300 (since the material is fading to yellow). I don't know the value of the box. You may want to contact the seller - if you decided to keep it then this would give you an idea of the value so that you can discuss it with the seller. If he disagrees - then you are covered under EBay's buyer protection - either way - no worries at all. If there is stitching then post a picture of it - like I said pictures are a bit difficult to see.

Comment

• josephcardone
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 10, 2010

The elastic should be stitched to the mask not glued. I could be wrong because the pics are a bit difficult to see. I don't see the stitching. Maybe just check.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Maybe the stitching came loose and they glued it at some point?

Comment

• josephcardone
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 10, 2010

Could be - he is going to check today - it is difficult to tell from the pictures - it does not look like stitching was ever present - I would hate for him (or any of us) to pay for something that is not what they believe it to be.

Comment

• PeterRR
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jun 2, 2008

The mask looks correct. They didn't stitch the elastic on they glued it. I have a store stock RM Robin and its glued on plus the glue area turned yellow in that area. Yours looks original

Comment

• captact
              King of Super Queens!
              • Aug 19, 2007

Do not fret my friend,..Rest assured that you own an All Original Authentic First version Robin mask, in which the straps were first glued on,..then later on, were sewn to the mask, so there are two versions,..yours being the rarest!!! CONGRATS!!!

Comment

• josephcardone
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 10, 2010

There are (2) versions???? I never knew this. The first version was glued only not stitched?

Comment

• josephcardone
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 10, 2010

Do we have any postings on this? I feel like I missed something along the way. Sorry XXXPhoenix - I sincerely did not realize this.
                  Last edited by josephcardone; Mar 22, '15, 9:17 AM.

Comment

• XXXPHOENIX
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 26, 2008

Hello my friends!

No problem joseph, this thread has been extremely useful ...
                    I was the first to be determined to know if my Robin's mask was original or not...After all these posts now I am 100% sure it is...
                    And yes probably there are stitched masks as well as glued ones.
                    The box, instead isn't what it should be...I mean, it's original but my RM Robin should stay in a Hb1w-MX-3p-4d-O: 1st issue/2nd Version (Mixed) "First Window" box and not in a 3rd or 4th version !
                    I will try to find one

I wish to copy&paste the reply of the seller to my concerns:

"Dear xxxphoenix,
                    The mask is absolutely original and real bc of how it was acquired. It was bought from two brothers that inherited a huge collection from their father after he passed away. All toys were in storage for several years and repro masks didn't really come about until a few years ago.
                    The box isn't the box the figure came from. It was from another robin used to complete this set. The box is likely the reason the bids didn't go higher than 1025 because usually original rm robin would go for at 1500.
                    FYI the Robin and mask were bought from eBay seller xxxxxxxxx and feel free to ask them if you still have concerns. I bought several kresge carded figures from them that were all original. "

SO I contacted the previous owner and this is what he replied to me:

"Hi and thanks for your question. Everyone of the pieces we have my father and mother bought personally from the stores. If this piece came from us it is 100% authentic. We have had many pieces graded by AFA and they have all came back as 100% authentic with a 85 over all grading. Hope this clears up any doubts you may have and I would suggest sending it to AFA for grading. They do a great job and are very knowledgeable."

Very best regards!
                    Federico

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                      Permanent Member
                      • Mar 7, 2011

I will check My Removable Mask Robin when I get home, As far as the original seller using the AFA for Aunthisity you can throw that out the window... the AFA knows Nothing about Grading, at least not Mego and GI Joe... They have been busted for grading a Removable Cowl Batman AND a Vintage GI Joe nurse with repro and incorrect parts.... Hopefully the first version glued mask is Legit.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎