• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XXXPHOENIX
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 26, 2008

ROBIN RM...with wrong box ???

Hello!
    I finally found a nice Mego Robin RM...and bought it off ebay!! BUT... I have a doubt...

The figure is really minty, the mask looks 100% original and the box is original too...
    Anyway, the box specifics are : Hb1w-DC-3p-4d-O: 1st issue/4th version (DC) "4 digit/Old Logo" box (DC chars on front box, 3 panels on each side)
    You can find the pictures here:

'Till now I had seen RM Robins inside the earlier box versions (those with DC/MARVEL chars on the front) only:
    Hb1s-MX-3p-4d-O: 1st Issue/1st Version (Mixed) "Original Solid" box
    Hb1w-MX-3p-4d-O: 1st issue/2nd Version (Mixed) "First Window" box
    Hb1w-MX-4p-4d-O: 1st issue/3rd Version (Mixed) "4 Panel" box

Can somebody help me determine if the Box of my RM Robin is "correct" or not?

Ciao!
    Federico
  • XXXPHOENIX
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 26, 2008

uhm...according to a seller who has just listed a boxed RM Robin :

"Removable Mask Robins were only available in the first very early version Super Hero packaging (4) for Mego: the first two released blister cards (referred to as Kresge cards- 4 characters pictured on card top- 1st card labeled Mego only, 2nd card labeled Kresge), the first release box (solid box- with no cellophane window on front), and the first release window box (which is the box listed in this auction) - The solid box and 1st window box were both dated 1972 and showed only 6 characters on the side panels - Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, Capt. America and Tarzan. By the time these first window boxes were being shipped, the Robin figure was being transitioned from removable mask to painted mask. So both removable mask and painted mask Robins can be found ONLY in this 1st release 6 character side panel window box.. So this window box would be the last available package the removable mask Robin could be seen in - Box is in great shape and has an original 1.99 price sticker on the front right near top corner of cellophane window."

If this is true....This means RM robins can be found inside these boxes only:
    Hb1s-MX-3p-4d-O: 1st Issue/1st Version (Mixed) "Original Solid" box
    Hb1w-MX-3p-4d-O: 1st issue/2nd Version (Mixed) "First Window" box

Federico

Comment

• josephcardone
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 10, 2010

I remember seeing that auction - besides the box - check that mask carefully - the two brown marks on the edge of the mask (where the elastic is joined) specifically. Make sure the sewing that joins the elastic to the mask looks correct.
      Last edited by josephcardone; Mar 11, '15, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• clemso
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 8, 2001

They definitely didn't come in that box with the Tarzan/Shazam header on the box. Regarding the Mask, hard to tell, you really need close ups for that.

Comment

• mikeMc6
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 24, 2012

I own an original mask and in my opinion, original vintage mego robin masks look really rough and shoddy ...that mask is quite clean and crisp. I dunno, man. I really hope for you that the mask is legit. And if the seller runs a comic book shop, chances are they are not expert vintage toy people so it's up to you to get it's authenticity confirmed. Not having the right box is a red flag, admittedly. I wish you luck, hope the mask is real.
          INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
          WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• josephcardone
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 10, 2010

You know what - most certainly post a picture of the mask now - the more experts that chime in - the more I think we need to see it close up. You are protected with ebay and paypal and that is a good deal of money. Let us help you make sure!!

Comment

• XXXPHOENIX
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 26, 2008

hi!
              Thanks for the help...You are all fantastic guys!!!!!

SO... the box is definitely not the right one for a RM Robin but I had suspected it from the very first beginning.

Here it is a raw description of my mask:
              1. It doesn't look as new as in the pics posted by the seller
              2. There is a white/off-white mesh on the inside of the mask and the outside is shiny. The eyeholes are very small. The elastic is slightly stretched.
              3. Comparing my mask with the pics of other original RM I have in my database...they look identical...what do you think?

Mine:

Original Robin masks in my pics database:

Ciao
              Federico

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Paying that much for a vintage figure, I would definitly make sure it's the real mccoy so to speak,
                the box I don't think so, simply because Captain America is not on this particular box, it's Shazam
                instead, the figure to me does look all original (1972) but the issue is the mask, Robin's RM were easy
                to loose, so keep posting and listen to what others have to say, does the bottom of the box have any
                roman numerals? and next to each side box pics, is there a 1300 number?

Comment

• XXXPHOENIX
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 26, 2008

The seller assured me the figure is all original...uncluding the mask.
                  I guess the previous owner had this loose minty Robin and (years ago) threw it into a 4th version box without caring too much ...
                  F

Comment

• josephcardone
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 10, 2010

Hmmm - not sure about that mask - it does not look correct from the back - the sewn parts are really important - take a picture of the front - get a close up picture of how the elastic is sewn to the mask.

Comment

• WRM
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 2, 2003

Hi - mine are attached at the ends of the mask, not near the eyelets...also the eye slits are not as wide on the one shown in your pictures.

Doesn't mean anything, just informing of the differences between the one shown and the three originals I have.

WRM

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

The glue on the mask seems to be old. It looks almost yellow in that picture.

Comment

• XXXPHOENIX
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 26, 2008

I made some more pics.
                          I checked and counterchecked every details with the pictures sent from a friend of mine who owns a solid box, with the pic in my database and with Hollcomb's Book...
                          The mask looks totally original and legit to me now….
                          The elastic is a bit stretched, the meshes are off white, the black surface is shiny, the eyeholes are very small, not wide at all.
                          The seller assured me it comes from a one-owner collection…I am 99.99% sure it’s original.

Federico

Comment

• josephcardone
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 10, 2010

Frederico - good thing you posted the additional pics - I don't see stitching at all - If this is correct (the pictures are a bit difficult to see) - this is probably made using a Maddie Mod material (long story) - the mask is about $15 or $20 and the figure would be around $300 (since the material is fading to yellow). I don't know the value of the box. You may want to contact the seller - if you decided to keep it then this would give you an idea of the value so that you can discuss it with the seller. If he disagrees - then you are covered under EBay's buyer protection - either way - no worries at all. If there is stitching then post a picture of it - like I said pictures are a bit difficult to see.

Comment

• WRM
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 2, 2003

Hi - I take my last post back.....after closer examination of mine (which one is on a sealed Kresge card, one boxed and a loose one)... the pictures just posted look like an original mask to me. So I think you scored!!!

WRM

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎