X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: Mork from Ork: An Outer Space Activity Book

Mork from Ork: An Outer Space Activity Book (1979), Grosset and Dunlop.
    This month I received a box of joy from Tracy, who generously donated some colouring books so that I could share them with the world.
    I thought I'd open with this remind of when "Mork Mania" briefly swept our landscape, distracting briefly us from Roller Boogie and .

This book also serves as a bit of a redemption for artist Tony Tallarico, who was last mentioned in this oddity, as it shows he was fully capable of drawing likeness.

Grab your crayons and rainbow suspenders and join me after the jump

The book itself is largely a collection of photos, (semi lazy) pages of just signs but when they do show Mork it's a decent Robin Williams likeness.

Mork is never not shown in his space suit, suggesting that early publicity photos were all that was given to the artist.

This book is also (unforgivably) 100% Conrad Janis free, perhaps it's greatest flaw....

However, Mindy makes a brief appearance! Like millions, I had a little childhood crush on Ms Dawber. If "girls next door" held a pageant, she'd have swept every category in the late 70s.

When I originally thought up the concept for this site one of the early contenders for it's name was "Shazbot". I often use this as a curse around the house, I think my kids think it's a legitimate swear.

Thanks again Tracy! If you have a submission for colouring book theatre drop me a line at brick *at* plaidstallions.com!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

RIP Robin Williams. I love Mork and Mindy! Ok, raise your hand if you had some of those suspenders!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Tony Tallarico did a nice job on the Supergirl the Movie activity book I have too. Like you said, he could do good work. This is a cut above most coloring books, although that first pic is disturbing, even if it does look like Williams

Mork was a big deal back in the day. I thought Pam Dawber was cute too.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
        To Fear is Not Logical...
        • Feb 17, 2008

It was funny. When Mork was on Happy Days, the kids at school talked about it the next day. When the show came out, they talked about it the next day. By about three weeks in, the "cool" kids didn't watch it any more, so that if you wanted to be "cool" you didn't admit to watching it. Though I don't think I missed an episode.
        It's all good!

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Those drawings are decent likenesses of Robin Williams. I never missed an episode either, and I also was crushing on Ms. Dawber at the time!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎