Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aceclone
    • Sep 3, 2013

Weighing in from a MM noob...

Before I proceed further, please correct me if these JLA series figures will be different from the JL/Superfriends line that we've seen the Robin protoype from? If these are different lines, shame on FTC for milking the fans by using nearly identical patterns and sculpts of previously released figures (just on new cards).

If they ARE the same line, I'm really disappointed that the 'big guns' didn't get the cartoon accurate sculpts like Robin did.

And if they are DIFFERENT, I wonder how long this rehashed line will push back the Superfriends (which seems like it would/could be way cooler IMO).
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Welcome to the Mego Museum community!

Superfriends and Justice League are different lines.

Variants are just a reality we've accepted, given the high cost of the license and the fact that ReMego is a fairly niche nostalgia market for the most part compared to other toy products. It's actually a huge positive to have so much choice for those of us who remember the days prior to this big ReMego resurgence when there was NO product! In this case, the big guns are kept on the shelves, in much the same way Mego itself did for ten years!

We are free to pick and choose from the product categories we want... because I have a vintage collection, I am simply buying new characters like Alfred and Bizarro rather than any of the Repro product. I'm personally skipping the Justice League but will be all over the Superfriends.

If anything, given the development cycle of brand new product, i'd hazard a guess that this isn't pushing back any production of new figures, but in fact filling in the gaps while we wait.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 27, '15, 9:34 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Welcome to the Mego family! This latest line up is just a means to keep the base line of characters fresh while they continue their push to expand and bring more licenses to the Mego universe at a pace even the legendary Mego Corporation couldn't keep pace with. This gives collectors and fans of the characters more choices in different styles. The Superfriends vs. Legion of Doom series is a separate line. Enjoy all the variety this year!

Comment

• aceclone
        • Sep 3, 2013

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm totally down with "variants," just wish there was more VARIATION with them. Seems like kind of a cheap way to simply repackage certain figures (that didn't sell as well as they hoped) by making very minor changes and throwing them on a new backer.

I hope these don't hold up the Superfriends, that line has tons of potential!! Let's hope for Wonder Woman without pajamas!! lol

Originally posted by samurainoir
        Welcome to the Mego Museum community!

Superfriends and Justice League are different lines.

Variants are just reality we've accepted, given the high cost of the license and the fact that ReMego is a fairly niche nostalgia market for the most part compared to other toy products. It's actually a huge positive to have so much choice for those of us who remember the days prior to this big ReMego resurgence when there was NO product! In this case, the big guns are kept on the shelves, in much the same way Mego itself did for ten years!

We are free to pick and choose from the product categories we want... because I have a vintage collection, I am simply buying new characters like Alfred and Bizarro rather than any of the Repro product. I'm personally skipping the Justice League but will be all over the Superfriends.

If anything, given the development cycle of brand new product, i'd hazard a guess that this isn't pushing back any production of new figures, but in fact filling in the gaps while we wait.

Comment

• justzeg18
          Career Member
          • May 5, 2003

It's a pretty safe bet that these are not "left over" figures being repurposed... Those were used in the two packs

Originally posted by aceclone
          Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm totally down with "variants," just wish there was more VARIATION with them. Seems like kind of a cheap way to simply repackage certain figures (that didn't sell as well as they hoped) by making very minor changes and throwing them on a new backer.

I hope these don't hold up the Superfriends, that line has tons of potential!! Let's hope for Wonder Woman without pajamas!! lol

Comment

• ubermanx
            Career Member
            • Jul 3, 2013

Ya think these new belt loop and gloveless costumes might be the same being used on the Super friends line later?

- Marty

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
              To Fear is Not Logical...
              • Feb 17, 2008

^That is an interesting thought. Change the cape and headsculpt on Batman and the small logo looks a bit Hanna-Barbera.
              It's all good!

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by aceclone

Just wanted to clarify that I have not confirmed any of your suspicions!

This is as much speculation on my part as it is on yours, but I'd say it is not repackaging of previously released unsold product, but maximizing usage of existing expensive molds and tooling. Please note the difference. Leftover unsold product vs extra product produced with the intention of new packaged variants over intervals where there is not necessarily ALL NEW product.

I'd also say this was likely in the grand plan of how to recoup their investment in the DC property (the license is expensive and isn't easily recouped if you are only doing, say, a few thousand of each figure). Going into production with a repro Batman, knowing that they would divide the yield of the heads produced by that mold across multiple variant product. AGAIN, PURELY SPECULATION ON MY PART.

and to restate: My opinion is that this doesn't hold up production, it's to fill in the gap as they are working on new product. We've all observed that FTC so far has had a fairly steady stream of product being released across all their brands since they re-entered the ReMego game.

The development of REPRO based product goes through the pipeline quicker given that they are based on existing designs, than the development of all new sculpts, prototypes, etc which have to go through development cycles and approvals etc.
                Last edited by samurainoir; Feb 27, '15, 10:23 PM.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• aceclone
                  • Sep 3, 2013

I was just referring to that the JLA and Superfriends (which will feature the JL and LOD characters) are different lines.

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  Just wanted to clarify that I have not confirmed any of your suspicions!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ubermanx
                    Ya think these new belt loop and gloveless costumes might be the same being used on the Super friends line later?

- Marty
                    Judging by the Robin prototype that was shown I'd say not, he was using 66 style glove hands and presumably cartoon styled boots as they were different that Burt Ward's. Guessing Batman will use the Adam West gloves and boots molded in the right color.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

"but I'd say it is not repackaging of previously released unsold product, but maximizing usage of existing expensive molds and tooling. Please note the difference. Leftover unsold product vs extra product produced with the intention of new packaged variants over intervals where there is not necessarily ALL NEW product."

Bingo. This isn't a glorified clearance strategy. It is additional runs of product, not repackaged leftovers.

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by justzeg18
                        It's a pretty safe bet that these are not "left over" figures being repurposed... Those were used in the two packs
                        Bingo! It would be a smart strategy to find a way to selll left over product that didn't sell well originally. It would be better than dumping it off at a discount store like is what happened to the Mattel retroaction stuff. If they have figures that didn't sell from old waves, they are not just going to store them.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎