Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New cinematic Spider-Man will most likely be Miles Morales.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

I have a feeling Sony will use Miles while Marvel will use Peter in there movies.

Next month Miles will be getting a big boost in getting his name out there since Ultimate Spider-Man is doing there Web Warriors mini-series cartoon loosely based on the Spider-Verse comic book event.

I my be wrong and if it turns out the I am I am sorry. I have been reading the "tea leaves" of comic book movies for decades now and I am usually get it right.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I hate everything about the new Spider-man rumors...

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by VintageMike
        I don't see it. Spidey is their top character, too much risk vs. reward. Marvel knows all they have to do with Spidey is get it right. The way they've gotten it right with so many of their films. At thsi point even movie goers know Spidey as PP. I also can;t seem them going with a costume no one but comic readers would know. Marvel has proven they know where to walk the line with how much to take from the comics and how much to alter for the movies.
        Very good point...I agree.
        sigpic

Comment

• megalomaniac001
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 24, 2009

I see a few ways Marvel could pull this off. But first I think they would be crazy to just throw this Miles guy at movie goers. EVERYONE on the planet knows Spiderman IS Peter Parker. PP has been SM from the 1960's for cryin' out loud! With that said, why couldn't PP be black or hispanic etc? The main problem with that is we have had 5 movies with a white PP, so audiences would be confused. Now another solution would be to bring in the Miles story but please, don't kill PP! (Hate that fact in the Ultimate universe!) I would suggest pulling a Spidergirl universe thing where PP is Spiderman and is injured in Civil War. I think you could bring in the Sam Raimi movie version and have Peter grown up a bit and married to Mary Jane. After the battle is over, have Mary Jane tell Peter it is time to be responsible to her and their child (BTW Peter I'm pregnant! says MJ) Thus Sony could introduce Miles in their movie with Peter serving as a mentor to Miles. Civil War could also use the unmaking and have Peter go to work for SHIELD or a penitent Stark afterwords.

Of course, there is some indication that Marvel may be planning a long term narrative where the characters change and evolve in real time. Like setting up someone besides Tony Stark to be Iron Man or replacing Captain America with Bucky or Falcon etc. If this is the case, they could use PP for a couple of movies before replacing him. Time will tell.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

As far as I have figured out, Marvel wants a NEW Parker, that way he is not connected to either movie-verse.

Now I wish they would release a directors cut of Amazing Spider-Man 2 with the Mary Jane cuts, I am curious to see if it helped with the story or added too much to it.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Spider-man is a character that has had multiple people do the job. This is a classic comic trope for lots of heroes.

Whenever there is an announcement that Sony will have a black Human Torch etc. the haters always say "If you want a black superhero, fine. But don't take an existing character and change his race." Marvel did just that. Miles is a new character, distinct from Parker.

When it was announced that the Ant-Man movie would be about Scott Lang and not Pym, I don't recall anyone complaining. Why is this any different?

I understand that Peter Parker's Spider-Man is a beloved character. But if they go this way, I'm sure Marvel will do this in a way that it establishes Miles Morales without writing out Peter Parker. They aren't going to kill the golden goose when they can have two golden geese.

Comment

• ubermanx
                Career Member
                • Jul 3, 2013

Well ...

I have read some of the Ultimate Spider-man with Miles Morales comics. I thought they were quite good and the character is fairly solid IMHO. He isn't Peter but he doesn't try to be either. I give Marvel full credit for going the extra step and tryng something more original then just changing the gender or race of an established character. Miles is his own "person". So I rather like Miles. Again, not more than Peter but I like him.

As for the movies ... I have sat thru five recent Peter Parker movies. Liked some more than others. Do I want to sit thru another three? Are they going to "reboot" and tell the same darn origin story again? Cause really, it's been done, twice now, this century.

What I do object to, and I have mentioned this before, is the changing of an existing character's race and/or persona to the point that they are not the character we love. Do I want to see Will Smith play Peter Parker? ... "Awww hell no!"

And I think this is why some movies fail anyways, even when they don't change the character's race but change the character's persona. We want to see our beloved characters act and behave like we expect. Man of Steel Superman didn't behave like the "Big Blue Boy Scout" destroying Smallville and Metropolis with barely a thought as to the safety of the folks around him and it bothered us. Superman has a rich history and the movies need to honour that history. Peter Parker, same thing.

And it can be done even with a race change. Look at Lawrence Fishburrne's performance as Perry White. I thought it was spot on. I totally believed he was the Editor-In-Chief of a major metropolitan newspaper. I really enjoyed his portrayal of Perry.

So with that I am totally willing to give Miles a shot at being a cinema Spidey.

- Marty

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I have no problem with the Miles Morales character, having read a bit of the Ultimate TPBs my son has brought home from the library. Nor do I have a problem with a movie featuring Morales. But the whole point of fanboys wanting Spidey in with the MCU was to get that semblance of the classic comic Marvel Universe, which is incomplete without Peter Parker as Spidey. So I hope we at least start out with Peter as Spidey. If they don't, I'm not going to boycott the movie or anything, though.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    I can tell your now, Marvel has not started the New Avengers for nothing. You will see within the next 5 years the Avengers with:

Falcon-Cap
                    Lady Thor
                    Miles Spider-Man
                    War-Machine
                    Captain Marvel
                    Winter Soldier
                    Hulk (Maby Red-Hulk)
                    Nova (Sam Alexander)

DC & Marvel are under such scrutiny to offer diversity in both comics and movies and get out of the all white male club of characters, which is why they are being introduced into the comics first and soon in the Movies/TV series.
                    Respectfully, I don't think this is going to happen. Marvel is rebooting following Secret Wars event this summer. They have chosen to do a few out-there stories to put a few characters On the shelf so when they are re-introduced fans will be salivating for them. This practice has been in use since the 1980s.

This is not an initiative geared toward film.

The Miles Morales rumors may come to fruition or not, but Marvel has spent millions and made millions establishing the Avengers characters and the company is not going to abandon those brands for lesser ones. It makes no sense.

Comment

• ubermanx
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 3, 2013

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      the whole point of fanboys wanting Spidey in with the MCU was to get that semblance of the classic comic Marvel Universe
                      Studio doesn't care about fanboys. Fanboys are a small percentage audience. We have proved that time and again. The Avengers was a $1,000,000,000 movie due to the attraction of the general movie going audience. Not us 45 year old comic fans. If the studio figures they will make more money with Miles than Peter they will do so without even blinking in our direction. I won't like it, as I suspect you won't either, but they don't care so long as they fill the cinema.

Just like fanboys were all "Guardians of the Galaxy Who?!?!" when that flick was announced. We all know who they are but until that last series there was not alot of call from us fanboys for a GotG movie. And yet, mega hit.

Originally posted by madmarva
                      but Marvel has spent millions and made millions establishing the Avengers characters and the company is not going to abandon those brands for lesser ones. It makes no sense.
                      It makes no CENTS as in dollars and cents. The problem is that with each hit Robert Downey Jr's salary and percentage take goes up. It becomes more and more costly to feature Iron Man in a film. SO they either cast a new actor or they move on to new characters. I TOTALLY see the next cycle of films after the ones announced to 2020 to feature an Avengers lineup without RDJ Iron Man, Chris Evans Cap, etc ...

Don't get me wrong here either. I love Peter Parker. I just don't seem to be as offended as some here that a film with Miles might be on the table.

- Marty

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

There are some factors you need to remember:

* Marvel had planes mapped out to 2028. The actors sign contracts for multiples films, with the norm being for 3 or more, and the 9 or 12 film deals more rare. This was before Guardians of the Galaxy went nuclear. Now that Marvel knows it can explore outerspace films with lesser know characters possibly making making money. And now you add in the Spider-Man Cinematic Universe to this you can bet that map just got expanded to 10 more years.

* Many of the actors have already stated that there contract is coming to a close with Marvel. Some may be able to add more to there contract (Robert Downey Jr.) while others may just want to be done.

* This means you either have to recast them and hope people will go with it (90's Batman Franchise) or replace them with a new character (i.e. Captain America replaced by Falcon-Cap).

as a fan-boy(girl) you may not want to see anybody else playing Spider-Man or Captain America but in movie sense that is not going to happen. Cap will be replaced by somebody else just like in the comics.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Studio doesn't care about fanboys.
                          Yeah, I know that. I made that point earlier by saying comic fans (all 50,000 who buy Ultimate Spidey each month, if they are lucky) are the only ones who care about Morales. I worded that last post a bit incorrectly.

My point was the general public doesn't know who Morales is. There aren't enough fanboys who care about him for studios to want to cater to them. So I don't see how choosing Morales over the general public-established Peter Parker makes one lick of sense. I don't think they are THAT concerned about ethnic diversity.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Marva - I'm usually with you, but the gender/race swapping is totally geared towards the next run of casting. The DC/Marvel SOP is to retcon or intro something in the comics called for by the Film/TV division, so when then they drag it into the cinema, they can claim it's not the tail wagging the dog.

They're not going to replace Hemsworth/Evans/RDJ with another white guy - unless they're moving that character to television. Marvel's entire success is designed around sagas, so what do you do after Infinity War, when their contracts are up? Either shelve the series or replace the actor. Each character has a residual half-life. Thor's dropped with Thor 2, Iron Man dropped with IM3. Just consider they used to beg RDJ to restructure his contract for more solo IM films after Avengers, but when RDJ wanted Civil War to be IM4, or apart of it, Marvel balked and were going forward without the character. That's a 180 from three years ago because IM3 has made a solo venture too risky.

Marketing costs are now equal to a film's budget. So if it costs 200mil to produce, it's about 200mil to promote. That's a 400mil investment, on one film. And overhead has to be paid first, unless you have a contract like RDJ who gets gross points, which is usually before payouts. So how do you continue Thor, without Hemsworth, but with the same costs? You reboot or transfer the character to a smaller screen.

RDJ said he's got a big announcement in eight days. If he's agreed to appear on AoS or Netflix, that's huge because it means he's going to remain Stark and provide continuity for recasting.

As for Morales, they have to use Parker because the general public are not going to discern Morales from Parker. Without him, they'll assume they simply made Parker brown and it's another reboot.

The only way they can cast a new Parker is if the Sony Spidey is years down the road or they cast a real big name to play Parker. Introducing two new Spidey's within a year of each other creates market confusion and the promotion departments of Disney and Sony will balk, especially if the universes are not to overlap. And still, the original announcement said Sony was still moving forward on their Spidey spinoff projects.

I mean, why would Sony agree to that? They're not getting paid by Marvel for usage or sharing in any profit points. They could have produced Spidey films on a lesser budget and still be profitable, yet they're willing to implode their franchise and then have no cinematic connection to what Marvel is doing? They would have made more just selling the rights back. And if they go with Morales or 2099, Sony's not going t o use rehashed villains anyway, so what does it matter of it connects back to Raimi or ASM?

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

I say Cast an uncredited voice actor for Spiderman's cameo in an Avengers movie....stuntmen and CGI can do the rest...I'd like to see Spiderman Keep his mask on all the time for once.....don't care for Parker nor Morales.....just give me Spiderman beating the **** out of bad guys.....

Comment

• clemso
                                Talkative Member
                                • Aug 8, 2001

Its a bit of the kick in the teeth after getting Sony to agree to feature Spidey in the Marvel movie universe. You would want to see Marvel's take on the original Peter Parker version of Spidey and yes, I complained when they used Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym for the Ant-Man movie. Peed off that Pym has nothing to do with either the creation of Ultron or the Vision as well.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎