X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

I wanted more Trek, darn it!

Let's face it, the last few entries in the Trek line were duds. It's no fault of Doc's; there were a LOT of mistakes made, like painted resin heads that were too big, unpopular characters, etc.

I was looking forward to more aliens, myself; Vulcans, even generic ones would have been nice. It would have been great if we'd gotten the female Romulan Commander.

Definitely more Romulans.

Klingons OTHER than Koloth like Kang, or Mara.

Heck, I'd have settled for that Metron character!

Sarek would have been a BIG hit with me (I had a soft spot for Mark Lenard at one point.)

Oh well, as they say "What might have been."
    JediJaida
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

They were supposed to make Nurse Chapel and Orion Slave Girl, added to the Captain Pike
    and Salt Vampire series, but never got done, just a prototype Chapel was made but never
    produced.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

Every year that goes by I foolishly have hope that DST would show more Retro cloth Trek at Toyfair but it never happens.

Comment

• jacoblb
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2009

Yeah, it's too bad the Star Trek: TOS stopped being made. I really have to point the figure at DST. The writing was on the wall: I didn't buy the Mirror Mirror figures and I skipped on buying Pike. (I'm not buying DST's $80 Marvel sets either as a matter of principle. I can't believe the cost is so much for the Marvel sets and they're 2 bodies short. I already spent a fortune having to repurpose the entire Mattel 8" figures on Castaway bodies so I wasn't about to repeat that process and start a new line of toys and have to go that route when other companies are making figures I don't have to fix.)

I'm not surprised TNG didn't fare well or save the Star Trek line. Playmates already did a decent job on 9" and 12" figures. I imagine Mego scale figures of TNG didn't really appeal to Trekkers who already had Playmate figures in different scales up the wazoo. Heck, most Trekkers I know have already gotten rid of the their stuff or are trying to do so. I have a coworker who has been trying to unload his TNG plates and posters for more than he spent for years and years and we can never deal since I know what the depreciated cost is on that stuff.

I'd have bought more TOS figures for sure, especially the aliens and ladies.

But other Star Trek toymakers beside DST disappointed me. I collected only the 12" Scale Playmate Star Trek figures and was bummed Dr. Crusher was never made. I don't understand why the character and actress often gets neglected treatment like that as she truly belongs with the main character ensemble. And then I bought the new 12" Star Trek movie figures only to never have gotten a Playmates Zoe/Uhura or Simon/Scotty. Luckily Barbie made a Uhura but Simon Pegg/Scotty was never made. :(

Comment

• drogge
          Career Member
          • Jul 24, 2009

Star Trek

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
          Every year that goes by I foolishly have hope that DST would show more Retro cloth Trek at Toyfair but it never happens.
          I am still hoping for Vina and Chapel.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 21, 2009

I would happily buy more Trek - Chapel and Vina, and whomever else they could put together. Sarek would be very welcome.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 22, 2011

My guess is that DST will continue to focus on their ST Select statuesque line. For some reason they think there is no market for new Retro cloth or standard 7 inch non statuesque classic ST figures. I too have held out hope for Vina and Chapel and the 7 inch Chapel, Rand, Salt Vampire, McCoy ( short sleeves ), and Romulan Commander. I know prototypes of all these exist and they are beautiful. I recently acquired the extremely rare 7 inch Romulan and Kang from eBay. Both are incredibly beautiful sculpts. It really is a shame the line did not continue. It's my guess if we get anymore classic Trek figures in 6, 7, or 8 inch it will be from another company with a fresh perspective of what collectors really want.

Comment

• newlyknighted
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 21, 2010

The line had some great success bringing us some needed Khan, Sulu, Chekov, and Gorn! But...the discontinuation of this line is truly a disappointment. I believe new female and male aliens would have been very popular! Trelane, Q, Sarek, updated Talosian, Worf, Vina, 7 of 9, Ilia, Borg Queen, Neelix, Spock in Naked Now environmental suit, Gorkon, Chang, Kruge, Odo, and others mentioned already. Heck, give me Locutus of Borg! Heck, i would surely buy a Horta and a Tellarite! Just please don't tell me we are going to be stuck with this limited run of figures. Neca, can you hear me calling? Please transport this money making, iconic,ultra popular license to your stable of great products and make it "live long and prosper!" Heck, I would even buy Esoqq, Nausicaan, or Charlie X!
                I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by jacoblb
                  Yeah, it's too bad the Star Trek: TOS stopped being made. I really have to point the figure at DST. The writing was on the wall: I didn't buy the Mirror Mirror figures and I skipped on buying Pike. (I'm not buying DST's $80 Marvel sets either as a matter of principle. I can't believe the cost is so much for the Marvel sets and they're 2 bodies short. I already spent a fortune having to repurpose the entire Mattel 8" figures on Castaway bodies so I wasn't about to repeat that process and start a new line of toys and have to go that route when other companies are making figures I don't have to fix.)

I'm not surprised TNG didn't fare well or save the Star Trek line. Playmates already did a decent job on 9" and 12" figures. I imagine Mego scale figures of TNG didn't really appeal to Trekkers who already had Playmate figures in different scales up the wazoo. Heck, most Trekkers I know have already gotten rid of the their stuff or are trying to do so. I have a coworker who has been trying to unload his TNG plates and posters for more than he spent for years and years and we can never deal since I know what the depreciated cost is on that stuff.

I'd have bought more TOS figures for sure, especially the aliens and ladies.

But other Star Trek toymakers beside DST disappointed me. I collected only the 12" Scale Playmate Star Trek figures and was bummed Dr. Crusher was never made. I don't understand why the character and actress often gets neglected treatment like that as she truly belongs with the main character ensemble. And then I bought the new 12" Star Trek movie figures only to never have gotten a Playmates Zoe/Uhura or Simon/Scotty. Luckily Barbie made a Uhura but Simon Pegg/Scotty was never made. :(
                  So yeah. Pretty much every single thing you said. Especially Dr. Crusher. There were so many chances to really do her character justice and it just never happened.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

For the Classic Line they should have made a Commodore Decker using Jim Brady's sculpt.

People are sick of aliens -- they want Starfleet personal or any humans.

Kinda weird EVERYBODY knows this except the toymakers.

Guess it's cheaper to just make another alien - doomed to fail

Next aliens - the marionette puppets from Catspaw
                    Last edited by Mikey; Feb 24, '15, 6:15 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I was vocal in my support of this line--and critical of its demise, too. I didn't mind "Mirror, Mirror", but Pike was disappointing. Not taking advantage of some of those terrific Brady sculpts was so sad. And a Horta would have been a wonderful addition

IMO, DST could have done three more waves and completed a smashing ST:TOS collection:

*Chapel, Vina/Marta, Tellerite, Trelane
                      *Rand, Leslie, Vian, Gem
                      *Decker, Harry Mudd, Elaan, Sarek

A good case could be made for Kor, Kang, or the female Romulan Commander--I was opting for more female characters and distinct aliens. Unfortunately, it's all wishful thinking.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 27, 2010

I echo the sentiment,love to have more reMego Star Trek.would love to see the uniforms and aliens from the first film,The next generation,a modern Klingon,data,Worf etc.mayeb they will show something next year for the 50th anniversary.And I'd like to add getting a reMego of TOS Romulan was one of my happiest toy collecting days.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I loved the series and collected all of them until they got to the painted head syndrome. Then I abandoned it. They ceased to look right next to the other figures in the series. Too bad too. They had so much left to explore, but it was a great ride for the most part while it lasted.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

the painted giant Pike head killed it for me. the painted head thing is turning me off the Marvel ones too.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

I, too, was hoping to at least finish the main crew with Chapel and Rand, and get some more aliens, as well. As for Sarek, all they need is the outfit; the Romulan head is based pretty much on Mark Leonard's Romluan captain; a few tweaks, if any are even needed, and you've got Spock's daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎