Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Did Aquaman ever have his trident in The Super Friends? I can't recall having seen it.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by Toy Timelord
      The trident is an important part of who Aquaman is, just like the Lasso for Wonder Woman, and the Ring for Green Lantern.
      With all due respect, over the course of Aquaman's published history, he very rarely carried a trident. He didn't use a trident in the 60s cartoons nor in the Super Friends cartoons to my memory. The Captain Action figure set from the 60s had a small trident, but the character in the comics did not carry one in the 60s, 70s, 80s. The first time I saw him with a Trident was the Super Powers figure, which came out 40 years after the character's debut. It was a nice, logical accessory but an add on. It certainly was not a trademark of the character up to that point. Aquaman was recognizable with or without a trident but not because of one.

Since the Super Powers figures, the trident has become more a part of the character because it does look cool as an accessory and artists put it to good use. But it can't be equated to Superman's cape, Batman's cowl, Green Lantern's ring or Spider-man's web shooters, which have been a part of those characters since their inceptions.
      Last edited by madmarva; Feb 21, '15, 3:52 PM.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        but if you lose the trident he becomes unidentifiable? To me he does, and that's the test for a redesign, it still needs to evoke the character and its roots. Might as well call him underwater homeless man instead. All he needs is a shopping cart and a ratty trench coat.
        Underwater homeless man, lol...you are on a roll...

sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by madmarva
          With all due respect, over the course of Aquaman's published history, he very rarely carried a trident. He didn't use a trident in the 60s cartoons nor in the Super Friends cartoons to my memory. The Captain Action figure set from the 60s had a small trident, but the character in the comics did not carry one in the 60s, 70s, 80s. The first time I saw him with a Trident was the Super Powers figure, which came out 40 years after the character's debut. It was a nice, logical accessory but an add on. It certainly was not a trademark of the character up to that point. Aquaman was recognizable with or without a trident but not because of one.

Since the Super Powers figures, the trident has become more a part of the character because it does look cool as an accessory and artists put it to good use. But it can't be equated to Superman's cape, Batman's cowl, Green Lantern's ring or Spider-man's web shooters, which have been a part of those characters since their inceptions.
          Put me in the column of those who hate the trident. It's absolutely ridiculous how many people think it's equivalent to a utility belt or a power ring, as a practical easy to carry weapon.
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
            Underwater homeless man, lol...you are on a roll...

LOL!!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Bearded bedraggled Aquaman is a Peter David creation BTW, not Grant Morrison...
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by Toy Timelord
                Why? He looks so much like the Mortison League Aquaman that I could've guessed it as soon as I saw the Trident.
                Sorry, He could be holding a trident, riding a seahorse, surrounded by whales and sharks and I still wouldn't see Aquaman.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  Put me in the column of those who hate the trident. It's absolutely ridiculous how many people think it's equivalent to a utility belt or a power ring, as a practical easy to carry weapon.
                  but it's awesome for camping...wienie roasts, s'mores...
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    Bearded bedraggled Aquaman is a Peter David creation BTW, not Grant Morrison...
                    Yeah, I was trying to figure out how that fully 90's look Aquaman got credited to/blamed on Morrison, he just used the Aquaman that was available from David's run on the book.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by megoknight
                      Once again. Sounds like Namor.
                      I'm one of the first ones here who said Momoa would've made a much better Submariner...that would've ruled.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I want a Submariner flick sooo bad...very few here don't know how much I love Namor...he is the one who intimidated me the most as a kid...I always rooted for him against the Fantastic Four...and I always wanted Sue Storm to pick him over Reed Richards, lol. Submariner is the ultimate conflicted angry superhero (next to Hulk). Very few, including even some fellow geeks, don't know that Submariner was created two years before Aquaman (1939 vs 1941)...oh it's true, it's damn true, lol.

Having said all that...Superman still kicks his arse...

sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

I wonder if DC picked a look that would sorta infringe upon Namor's look. Probably not, but Namor had a beard and long hair for a time in the 90s.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Yeah, Momoa as Namor...now that I could see.
                            sigpic

Comment

• FETT1
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 4, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              I didn't know Rob Zombie was Aquaman.
                              ick ick ...ZOMBIe sucks !
                              if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                                Banned
                                • Aug 4, 2014

i meant the Aquaman in Morrison's JLA, not to imply that Morrison was responsible for that look.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎