Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I guess we can't get "traditional" looking super heroes anymore. As it turns out, their original costumes just aren't realistic for super heroes. The irony.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I'm so glad i grew up in the 70s. What kid can really get behind this?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I think it looks cool for this version. I have always loved Aquaman as a character, probably because of having grown up in the seventies with the Superfriends and Mego Aquaman. I am willing to give the movie a chance that it will be something cool and I don't have negative views of any of the looks we have seen so far

Comment

• Toy Timelord
          Banned
          • Aug 4, 2014

I want Aquaman to be a badass king of the seas. Which this clearly is.

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

It's the look I expected once they announced Momoa . . .I mean seriously, the guy was Conan. It'll probably work fine in the 90s-inspired no-trunks Superman world they're establishing for this version of the League.

What disappoints me is that, ever since I first read about Mark Waid's DC proposal for an Aquaman reboot (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...evealed-435/3/), I've hoped that *that* could get turned into a film version of Aquaman. I think a family-friendly take on the character that shows all the elements that make great undersea adventure something almost everyone loves (everything from "20,00 Leagues" to "Finding Nemo"). And the idea of the Russian marine biologist as the POV character, coming from this stereotypically cynical, grey and grungy forner USSR world and being led to this miraculous world of color and adventure by a kind and heroic sea-king who's like something out of a fair ytale, right down to a shirt like a goldfish . . . I think that's the kind of story that would do bank, shocking the studio and not only making Aquaman an A-lister in Hollywood (like the Iron Man movie did for Shellhead in '08), but maybe also letting supers become colorful and fun again.

Win or lose, this Aquaman will kill that: If successful, it will lead to more armor and desaturating of color and fun and plain good-guy-ness like Chris Reeve and Chris Evans have brought to their heroes; If it fails . . . well, they'll blame it on Aquaman being so lame that "even this badarse approach couldn't make him work,"

Hopefully, we'll at least get an exciting JLA movie out of it all. . . .

Comment

• libby 1957dog
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 3, 2009

Jason Momoa’s ‘Aquaman’ Armor & Tattoos Explained
              thought this might be interesting to some on here
              The first image of Jason Momoa's 'Aquaman' is packed with Polynesian symbolism and nods to the comic hero - allow us to explain them.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by knight errant00
                It's the look I expected once they announced Momoa . . .I mean seriously, the guy was Conan. It'll probably work fine in the 90s-inspired no-trunks Superman world they're establishing for this version of the League.

What disappoints me is that, ever since I first read about Mark Waid's DC proposal for an Aquaman reboot (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...evealed-435/3/), I've hoped that *that* could get turned into a film version of Aquaman. I think a family-friendly take on the character that shows all the elements that make great undersea adventure something almost everyone loves (everything from "20,00 Leagues" to "Finding Nemo"). And the idea of the Russian marine biologist as the POV character, coming from this stereotypically cynical, grey and grungy forner USSR world and being led to this miraculous world of color and adventure by a kind and heroic sea-king who's like something out of a fair ytale, right down to a shirt like a goldfish . . . I think that's the kind of story that would do bank, shocking the studio and not only making Aquaman an A-lister in Hollywood (like the Iron Man movie did for Shellhead in '08), but maybe also letting supers become colorful and fun again.

Win or lose, this Aquaman will kill that: If successful, it will lead to more armor and desaturating of color and fun and plain good-guy-ness like Chris Reeve and Chris Evans have brought to their heroes; If it fails . . . well, they'll blame it on Aquaman being so lame that "even this badarse approach couldn't make him work,"

Hopefully, we'll at least get an exciting JLA movie out of it all. . . .

Quoting this post, because it's a great post. I mean, really, is anyone shocked or surprised by this look? It's exactly what I expected from them.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Oh Well, I hope Aquaman only has a small, part. At least Batman & Superman are well cast. I think Affleck will be a great Batman!
                  sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

I think if I saw this without any information about it I'm sure Aquaman wouldn't be the first thing that came to mind.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

It's not bad, and I do think the washed out color palette will eventually show he has some blond in his hair and his pants are indeed green. I think it will be closer than we're seeing now. However, I also see this as change for the sake of change. Snyder just has to put his stamp on things, just has to pull his pants down, grab it with both hands and spread his DNA all over this film instead letting 50 plus years of storytelling guide it.

I bet Cyborg is next and he'll have a snapback and Timberlands.
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                        Banned
                        • Aug 4, 2014

Originally posted by ScottA
                        I think if I saw this without any information about it I'm sure Aquaman wouldn't be the first thing that came to mind.
                        Why? He looks so much like the Mortison League Aquaman that I could've guessed it as soon as I saw the Trident.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Well., Hec, unlike you, I love Aquaman.

I can't say this is at all what I've would have chosen, although I like Momoa in general. Then too, I've been disenchanted in general with DC Comics & the films for some time, so I'm not surprised by his design or my feelings. Hedji captired my feelings as well, Steve.

As I've said before, I really would have chosen Charlie Hannum...
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Toy Timelord
                            Why? He looks so much like the Mortison League Aquaman that I could've guessed it as soon as I saw the Trident.
                            but if you lose the trident he becomes unidentifiable? To me he does, and that's the test for a redesign, it still needs to evoke the character and its roots. Might as well call him underwater homeless man instead. All he needs is a shopping cart and a ratty trench coat.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                              Banned
                              • Aug 4, 2014

but the same could be said of Superman. Lose the S and the costume and you can't tell he's Superman.

The trident is an important part of who Aquaman is, just like the Lasso for Wonder Woman, and the Ring for Green Lantern.

Sure, he doesn't use it all the time, but regardless, you can tell this is Aquaman. If all I saw was the character from the waist up, I'd know it was Aquaman. You can say otherwise, but he looks like one of Aquaman's key looks. Perhaps not the most iconic (it is, in my opinion, only because I love Grant Morrison) but an important look nonetheless.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Toy Timelord
                                but the same could be said of Superman. Lose the S and the costume and you can't tell he's Superman.
                                No, the blue suit, red cape and dark haired man can help you connect those dots.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎