Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

But.. But... Aquaman was always so ...friendly.

I predict I will see this film, come home and bash it, and then buy the blu ray for $4 on Black Friday, watch it at home, be 50% entertained/50% disenchanted, then put the blu ray on the shelf to gather dust as I anticipate the next big Superhero film that ignores all the stuff I loved about superheroes as a kid.

Comment

• clemso
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 8, 2001

He would have made a better Namor or (Marvel version) Hercules for sure.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

The lack of color, I think, reflects the idea that there isn't much color underwater, because there isn't a lot of unfiltered sunlight. That is the only reason we can perceive it. Underwater, the sunlight is filtered through a lot of algae, salt, etc. so it gets diluted.

And Jason Momoa might be able to pull it off; he always was a badarse character on SG:A. He made me think of a more human looking Klingon with his height, build and general attitude.

Aquaman to me, was always one of the more unappreciated characters in the DC Universe. That and conflicted; he was supposed to be a member of the Justice League, yet he did it after mostly abandoning the throne of Atlantis, as well as his wife and son.

I liked the more recent versions of him; where he's ready, willing and able to kick butt, take names, and flip people off.

Makes me think of Thorin from The Hobbit; they have the same attitude.
        JediJaida

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

That's a million times better than Affleck or Godot.

If you read Momoa's comments after signing, this direction was clear. I think he's still Arthur Curry, but a Pac Islander father, which is more credible because the cultures are intertwined with the oceans.

And there's a definite "grit" strategy involved, which is to distinguish itself by making Marvel look cartoony next to the Injustice/Arkham color palette Snyder's adopted.

They're also looking to kill Namor in the crib before Legendary/Universal gets any farther along. Legendary got the JLA train going, but are now at Universal where the Namor rights are orphaned. WB knows if the don't co-opt all the Aquaman/Namor attributes now, they don't have a chance with a Legendary/Universal or Marvel crossover. This was the same drive to get Flash on TV before Avengers 2 could cement Quicksilver as the original speedster. Marvel killed Namor this past year for the same reasons. Now, they can reinvent him and go to Universal with a similar offer they made for Spidey.

What I do like about DC/WB is the multi-cultural/racial/gender swapping is a lot more logical compared to Marvel's blatant pandering. Making Cyborg apart of the JLA works because it's still Cyborg. They didn't take Martian Manhunter and do a Thor Girl, Miles Morales or Falcon-Cap just to patronize.

It is ironic that Johns reinvented Aquaman and is deeply involved with the film division.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
            Could've been worse...this...

At least I know who that is. The poster doesn't Look like anything related to Aquaman to me. It looks more in the line of "300" or Apocalypto or something else I would have no interest in. The more I see from the movie, the less I want to see it. Trying to be "realistic" and a "superhero" movie don't really work. If it isn't Aquaman, why call him that.

Comment

• newlyknighted
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 21, 2010

This Aquaman better ride a sleek yellow jet ski and summon eels to aid him in his defense against the polluting air breathers. We need a Hot Mera as well.
              I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                But.. But... Aquaman was always so ...friendly.

I predict I will see this film, come home and bash it, and then buy the blu ray for $4 on Black Friday, watch it at home, be 50% entertained/50% disenchanted, then put the blu ray on the shelf to gather dust as I anticipate the next big Superhero film that ignores all the stuff I loved about superheroes as a kid.
                I just looked in the mirror!

Comment

• Mego Milk
                  Custom Mego Maker
                  • Jun 3, 2007

I like it.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

so how bad do oceanic dreadlocks smell?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      so how bad do oceanic dreadlocks smell?
                      Ya know, that would be the perfect subtle joke for a movie like this. Any character could throw that at him and it works because he looks like he would smell like seaweed.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 13, 2009

Here come the parodies:

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

lol good one!

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

All I know is that Momoa would wipe the floor with both Affleck and Cavill in real life, and at the same time too, lol.

Just kidding, Cavill is pretty ripped as well...heck...even Affleck...perhaps it would be a tie between all three, ha.
                            Last edited by Hector; Feb 20, '15, 2:05 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

"Nineteen Sixty-FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVEEEEEEE YEAH!!!"

I love Rob Zombie!
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                                At least I know who that is. The poster doesn't Look like anything related to Aquaman to me. It looks more in the line of "300" or Apocalypto or something else I would have no interest in. The more I see from the movie, the less I want to see it. Trying to be "realistic" and a "superhero" movie don't really work. If it isn't Aquaman, why call him that.
                                To me it's good news because I always hated Aquaman. Well, maybe hate is a strong word, but he never captured my imagination like other superheroes. Never bought one single Aquaman comic book ever (okay, maybe I bought a few over the years, but not a lot)..I always thought of him as boring and uninteresting, even lame (just like in the Big Bang theory). On the other hand, I was always a Namor/Submariner fan (his ongoing conflict with the Fantastic Four/Sue Storm storyline was always top notch for me)...so seeing this version of Aquaman makes me wanna like Aquaman...DC is definitely challenging Marvel, even daring...to try and top this "Morrison" version...so I welcome this Aquaman with open arms.
                                Last edited by Hector; Feb 20, '15, 2:46 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎