X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

AFA Grading.

I was just wondering: what kind of "authority" (for lack of a better word) does AFA have?

I had an old friend over (old school toy collector who's just getting back in the game), and his opinion on AFA was "so what if these guys say it's worth $500? Who are they to put a value on it?"
    This was the first time he had even heard of AFA.
    He wondered if just anybody can profile themselves as experts and start grading things according to their own "system".
    What if someone started a home page like "North American Figure Grading Company"?
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • nazgul
    Lord of Light
    • May 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure afa doesn't assign a monetary value to the items they grade, just condition. The market decides upon the value...that being said, I still find it all a bit ridiculous .
    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
      I was just wondering: what kind of "authority" (for lack of a better word) does AFA have?
      Seems to be "Cause I said so" based on what I've heard.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by nazgul
        I'm pretty sure afa doesn't assign a monetary value to the items they grade, just condition. The market decides upon the value...that being said, I still find it all a bit ridiculous .
        True, but then that condition grading is translated into cold hard cash as a result. And in the end, it's the collector that decides to pay five times more for a figure that's encased in plastic.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• nazgul
          Lord of Light
          • May 2, 2011

Exactly..I guess it takes the uncertainty out of an online purchase, about the condition that is. It really seems to cater to sellers. Comics and cards were doing it years before the toys started. I understand why the service exists, I just don't get why people patronize them. To each their own I suppose.
          You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• 4NDR01D
            Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
            • Jan 22, 2008

I think there must be some positives to it, or why would so many people do it? I have zero interest myself.
            I follow a Star Wars 12 backs FB page, and some pretty seasoned collectors have posted that items have been rejected for grading due to touch ups, reseals etc.
            if they can't tell, but the people at AFA can, I'd say that's a positive.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

When it comes time to resell I don't think having anything graded makes much of a difference - especially when selling to fellow collectors.

The only time grading helps sell an item if you get lucky and Joe For The Moment Speculator decides it might be a good investment.

REAL collectors want to be able to hold the item in their hands without a sealed plastic barrier.

As far as for the grading itself - Reminds me of Tommy Boy when he said, I could take a poop in a box and tell you it's guaranteed
              Last edited by Mikey; Feb 19, '15, 1:45 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

My biggest complaint regarding AFA has always been that there is nothing that qualifies them as experts. Any seasoned collector could do exactly what they do.
                My opinion regarding the condition of a toy is as valid as theirs. A true appraiser must have gone to school and be licensed, and they ARE conducting appraisals, not of monetary value, but of condition.
                The fact that they themselves set the standard by which they conduct said appraisals is a conflict of interest, and would be illegal in any other type of business.

Comment

• Fitski
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 19, 2013

I've bought AFA loose graded Star Wars figures when it's a question on repo parts (pop up light sabre R2D2). I've picked some graded AFA loose Star Wars figs for $20 - $30 each...actually cheaper than the grading service!

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                    Permanent Member
                    • Mar 7, 2011

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                    I think there must be some positives to it, or why would so many people do it? I have zero interest myself.
                    I follow a Star Wars 12 backs FB page, and some pretty seasoned collectors have posted that items have been rejected for grading due to touch ups, reseals etc.
                    if they can't tell, but the people at AFA can, I'd say that's a positive.
                    That's funny because the AFA themselves have been busted for Grading a Removable Cowl Batman not long ago with Repro emblems and Gloves... And a suspicious belt... Lol
                    I hate the AFA and them SEALING in the figures in those Acrylic Crypts...

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

The only peeps that made AFA profitable and legit are peeps that are not really members of the action figure collectible community.

I think that say's a lot.

I think they're BS and only prey on newbees

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                        Banned
                        • Aug 4, 2014

They are known to have graded fakes in the past. And not just a handful. We are talking THOUSANDS of figures. The bulk of which came from the same scammer.

If they can't detect such a large quantity of fakes, how can they be an 'authority' on anything?

I can point you to evidence of this in the Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers communities.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah their main thing was protecting against fakes in the SW community, which they were highly regarded as there are lots of sharks in that pond.

The Toy Toni scandal made a huge dent in their reputation.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                            The Toy Toni scandal made a huge dent in their reputation.
                            I remember that, It was a huge deal. They had been grading fakes for years. I don't know why anyone would trust them after that.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

IMO it's impossible to grade an action figure with real cloth clothing.

The variables are too great.

Grader #1 may think the distance between said neck and collar is 1.2 MM too far while Grader #2 say's it's fine .

It's all BS

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎