Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE/Diamond Retro Spider-Man...my honest review.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

EMCE/Diamond Retro Spider-Man...my honest review.

My set arrived today, and I've been carefully inspecting and playing with it for the last few hours, and I decided I needed to write a review for anyone considering purchasing one of these sets, as well as offer my criticisms as well as praise.

As you all probably know, I'm a huge Marvel/Spidey fan, and I really, really wanted to love this set.
    I like it, but at the price point that's being asked for these sets, I need to love it, and I don't.

Starting right at the beginning...the packaging. While it is very attractive and evokes the spirit of Mego quite nicely, it is the most un-collector friendly packaging I have ever seen. I know people have had varying degrees of success removing everything from the package, but I literally destroyed mine getting it open.

The repro Mego box had damage already inside the package, and the blister holding the updated costumes was completely heat sealed on both the perforated and non perforated sides, as well as two places in the middle. There was absolutely no way to remove it without destroying the box. Also, some of the plastic ties which hold the outfits in place only go through the inner plastic tray, while others go all the way through the first of two layers of cardboard which were glued together.

For a high end collectible such as this, I personally find this type of packaging unacceptable. These sets are too expensive to buy two of each to leave one sealed. A person needs to be able to easily remove and return everything to the package with zero damage. I hope this issue can be addressed with future releases.

Secondly, the material used on both Spider-Man costumes snags very easily. My circle suit Spider-Man had several pulls in it straight out of the box. Again, for this price point, I find that completely unacceptable. It's one thing if I damage it, but it shouldn't come straight out of the box that way.

Now for the good. The sculpt, paint, and accessories are all excellent. I do think the heads need to be color cast. This isn't due to any specific quality issue, but rather an aesthetic choice. The painted heads remove some of the very Mego feel that these sets are supposed to replicate, and isn't that the entire point of these? The translucent quality of rotocast flesh heads are such a part of the Mego "look" that figures with painted heads just seem to stand out.

My favorite part of the set was actually the fantastic booklet that comes with it. Very informative and nicely illustrated. All in all, I'm willing to forgive some of the design choices since it's their first offering, but the painted heads, quality of the material used and packaging issues bring what could have been a great set down to a merely good set. I hope future sets will be improved.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I'd like to redesign the packaging for them.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Very Fair Evaluation... Repackaging DEFENITLY Needs to be addressed

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Got mine today. I managed to get the boxed Repro Spidey out with zero damage(yay!). I was also able to carefully removed the Peter Parker outfit with no damage. I plan to remove the rest of the new Spidey and Peter Parker head without damaging the costume and heads. But there will be no saving the box, it will be completely trashed.

But I'm still happy to have the modern Spidey & Parker head(still wish it wasn't painted). I plan to sell the rest.
        sigpic

Comment

• SpaceAgent
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 21, 2009

Very good review. I'll say again (as I did in another thread) that the packaging needs a lot of work. Very unfriendly to collectors.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by SpaceAgent
            Very good review. I'll say again (as I did in another thread) that the packaging needs a lot of work. Very unfriendly to collectors.
            You need a couple to figure out how to get stuff out without damaging it. I totally destroyed the first one I opened, but the second is in pretty good shape.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              You need a couple to figure out how to get stuff out without damaging it. I totally destroyed the first one I opened, but the second is in pretty good shape.
              Ok, so now we need to spend $160.00 to experiment in learning how to get all the pieces out without destroying the package? I respectfully disagree.
              sigpic

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 24, 2009

The packaging was a pain to get into! I just tore into mine. But I prefere a loose collection anyway. But it would be nice to be able to take it out and put it back like what the clamshells from FTC allow you to do!

Comment

• SpaceAgent
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 21, 2009

I very carefully opened the package today. I used a razor to slice the plastic covering over the accessories, after carefully removing the clothes. I lifted the plastic up, and... Dammit. It was glued in the middle too.

Sorry, EMCE, I love your stuff, but this packaging is a train wreck.

Comment

• nobody
                    banjo!
                    • Jan 26, 2012

If they are not meant to be opened. Just put pictures between the packaging and sell for 4.99. Make as many figures as you want then.

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

I finally took a deep breath and opened my Spidey set.

The repro box was a bear to get loose, but I did with very minimal damage.

I took great care with freeing the clothes, but no matter how careful you are, on some of these sets, your clothes will have holes in them. And some are quite noticeable too.

Still, it's an nice set and it has not soured me on going forward with buying more sets, especially if there are improvements (I have not watched the Cap and Wolverine video yet).

It's fun to see the repro Spider-Man standing next to the repro Superman. Maybe tonight I will put the Peter and modern Spidey clothes on Type-S bodies.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

All the Peter Parker outfits have holes straight out of the factory, so none will be in mint condition. I wonder what an undamaged Parker suit would sell for? I'm glad they changed the way the extra outfits are packaged! The video shows them coming out of the package.

Comment

• Etrigan
                          • Dec 13, 2014

My set came with 2 right hand fists. That's my only complaint, I manage to get the retro box out without breaking it.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Etrigan
                            My set came with 2 right hand fists. That's my only complaint, I manage to get the retro box out without breaking it.
                            Do you think that mean that somebody else got two left fists? I've seen a set with the repro box in upside down, and one with the banner upside down. I guess a mistaken fist isn't as easy to spot.

I don't know why I think packaging mistakes are cool...
                            These were both on ebay and I snatched the pictures.
                            Last edited by LonnieFisher; Apr 3, '15, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎