Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Get The Gilligan's Island 12" Figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Anyone Get The Gilligan's Island 12" Figures?

I wondered if anyone had a review of these. I am holding out for the 8" figures, due in May, but the 12" figures still intrigue me.
  • houseofdracula
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 11, 2011

I'm waiting for the 8 inch too.
    The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
    https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I hope these do well enough to get all of the castaways. It would have been nice to see two series with series two having a Gilligan variant (Witchdoctor Gilligan would have been fun!).

Comment

• nobody
        banjo!
        • Jan 26, 2012

Having a full size Mary Anne would be weird.

Comment

• captact
          King of Super Queens!
          • Aug 19, 2007

Waiting for 8"

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

I think the 12" scale figures look great. I'm more certain I'll be buying the 8" figures instead due entirely to cost.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by TRDouble
              I hope these do well enough to get all of the castaways.
              I don't know if I'd be buying them in either 8" or 12" format, but I'm with you, it'd be cool to see them do all seven of them... Do you think a Ginger would be possible, knowing that Tina Louise doesn't always seem to warm to the idea of "Gilligan's Island"?

Comment

• trevor22a
                • Sep 1, 2011

I received the 12 inch figures today. I really like them despite a few minor quibbles.

The sculpts are kind of cartoon-ish, but so were many classic Mego figures.

The Skipper has black shading inside his bottom open mouth and it's so dark it is kind of distracting. He's on the larger 12 inch body which has slightly floppy legs. The shirt should be tighter around his waist, but only people very familiar with Gilligan's Island would probably notice.

Gilligan has a very expressive face sculpt, but again is kind of a cartoon Bob Denver. The hat is cloth and is a tight fit on his head which could be a good thing even though I have a hard time getting it to sit right. All of the thin 12 inch bodies have an annoying habit of leaning to one side (my Dukes and JR do this too). I don't know if they are strung too tightly or if it's a design flaw. Gilligan's shirt seam was cut too closely so the bottom stitch doesn't fold under correctly. You can see the inside seam hang out.

The paint on both shoes feels "tacky" like they used a paint that won't ever completely dry on this plastic.

I do like these a lot though and would love to see more - at least the other two males (Mr. Howell and the Professor) as we've seen no 12 inch females yet. All 7 castaways in 12 inches would be great.

Last edited by trevor22a; Mar 3, '15, 8:47 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I've been interested in these but was waiting to see the actual production figures. These look much better than what I thought they would. Gilligan especially reads better. The skipper is definitely getting high marks from what I see. Thanks for the photos and review. That made a big difference for me.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

These do look very cool, and hopefully we at least get an 8 inch and 12 inch Professor,
                    and maybe an SS Mino boat to put them in. I think maybe a Head Hunter native would be
                    a cool addition too.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

These look great! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• mego
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 16, 2012

I wonder if a simple rotation of the body would fix the leaning to one side? Worth a try at least?

Comment

• trevor22a
                          • Sep 1, 2011

Originally posted by mego
                          I wonder if a simple rotation of the body would fix the leaning to one side? Worth a try at least?
                          I tried that and it always snaps back to leaning. It tends to make one leg shorter than the other when it does that. I did use some polyester fiberfill (used for stuffed animals) in the JR figure. I tucked it into the pelvis area tightly so the waist joint would sit straight in the top. It worked quite well and the figure stands straight now.

I am glad the mini review was helpful. If you are a Gilligan fan, these are great. I will definitely get the 8 inch versions too.

I have a custom Ginger Grant too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

That Skipper sculpt really captures Hale, and the character. Gilligan looks a bit too neutral for my taste, esp. compared to the Skipper, but it's still instantly recognizable as Denver/Gilligan. Great Ginger custom!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• captact
                              King of Super Queens!
                              • Aug 19, 2007

Wow!! Ginger looks hot!!!! Great custom!!!!!! Hope they decide to make the rest of the cast,..at least in 8 inches...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎