Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Spider-Man is nearly sold out despite all of the complaining that went on over the price of these sets.

It is going to very interesting to see how the Wolverine set fares in sales.

Comment

• DSTZach
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by jayraytee
      Darth Vader is a great example if you get the point of the example. If you made the Wolverine mask removable out of rubber in the format you did because you claim that is what Mego would of done.... then following that same logic if you were to get the Star Wars License... you would possibly do the same thing again with the Vader figure as you did with Wolverine.
      Still an odd comparison, unless your point is "this idea is as dumb as this clearly much dumber idea." We were trying to re-create a skin-tight mask, and there's no way to make it out of fabric at that scale, so we used rubber. Darth Vader's helmet is not skin-tight, separates in half in the movie, has room for connectors and is made of plastic (well, maybe "metal," but really plastic), which is what toy helmets are already made of. There's no reason to make it out of a different material.

The only real comparison would be another superhero, because no one else wears a mask like this. I personally think a rubber Iron Man helmet would look good, but it's moot, because the retro-style figure will be based on the original. But we'll see what the modern one looks like.

Originally posted by jayraytee
      The removable mask Mego Batman is really only a cool collectable for the nostalgia of it being the original format... just like the stirup pants, waffled mittens, and type 1 body. They are not a way to make a modern figure cooler.
      Except this is not meant to be a "modern" figure, or even "cool." The "modern" style figure has a sculpted mask, the "retro" figure has the removable mask. I don't think anyone was trying to make the retro figure look "cooler," just be more fun and representative of how toys were made in that era -- also, what other repro figure would you do it on if not this one?

Note that the Spider-Man retro figure had a circle suit. Another thing Mego "fixed," because the later version looked better/more accurate.
      Last edited by DSTZach; Mar 12, '15, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Spyweb007
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 18, 2006

I think these all look great. One thing I love about the retro and Mego style figures is that the cloth costume hides the figures joints. The sight of a joint/hinge/rivet on a sculpted figure always bothers me on more modern figures, no matter how well they try and hide them. Removable masks and gloves are always a bit problematic at this scale, but I think the results look more like a real person in a costume than a figure with a shiny metal rivet in the elbow and weird ab-crunch joints and so on. I hope my budget will allow me to pick these up and ad to my collection soon.

Comment

• DSTZach
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by wise guy
          What mego would have done is less important than what the collectors will buy. I have pre ordered 1 wolverine because I like the sculpted mask but I would have bought at least 2 SETS if he came with 2 sculpted masks. Is'nt it more important to learn from these sets to increase sales instead of guessing what MEGO what have done.
          Again, we weren't trying to guess what they would have done, we were trying to re-create what they COULD have done -- it's a technique they used in this line, if rarely, and this was an opportunity to try out a technique that no pre-existing Retro Marvel figure would have, and no modern-style figure could get away with. But read Joe's piece in the Wolvo-booklet, he was actually directly involved in the process.

If the main thing to learn here is that the next time we create a 1970s-style Marvel Mego figure that has NEVER existed before, we should NOT give them a removable mask, because people may only buy ONE... then I guess we'll have to play it by ear.

Originally posted by wise guy
          Jayraytee is right that mego got away from these cowls and did not bring them back when they added new charectors like Ironman and Green Goblin . Since this forum is a big chunk of people that buy remegos it is a good place to get an idea what people will buy versus we know what you wan't
          I still think Iron Man could have worked with a rubber mask (at least, as well as his actual masked look "worked"), and I think Green Goblin would have worked amazingly, since the character is actually wearing a rubber mask.

And this is definitely the biggest re-Mego community, but remember that the figures are being designed by members of the community, who have a long history of interaction with the community, who know to a certain extent what the community will buy, and are as big fans as anyone here. I think a little artistic license is owed to them, for helping make this line a reality at all.

And when you're mass-producing toys, you have to learn to put suggestions in the context of the larger audience. I'm sure a big chunk of our sales is represented here, but when you look at the number of members vs. the number of active members vs. the number of re-Mego collectors vs. the number of commenters in this thread vs. the number of actual negative comments that agree on how it SHOULD be handled, you're talking about a much smaller percentage. Hopefully an equal or greater number of buyers like the mask!

Last edited by DSTZach; Mar 12, '15, 1:49 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Wolverine will be good for folks to customize to fix. Paint some hands blue, and the mask yellow, add blue gauntlets, and it's a pretty cool Wolverine.

Comment

• Teemu
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by DSTZach
              because the retro-style figure will be based on the original. But we'll see what the modern one looks like..
              After seeing the Captain America Star,I am not expecting to be excited like I used to be for these...Rubber Iron Man Mask? I cringe at the though of that

Comment

• DSTZach
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 1, 2012

Having had to deal with a peeling star through eight years of photo shoots, I am bothered zero by the star, and barely notice it.

10454070_664610766999929_1035175582_n.jpg

Comment

• plaztekman
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 27, 2008

I can't wait to get my pre-ordered Cap. When should we expect distribution to begin?
                  Check out my photoblog: http://megomuseum.com/community/blog...773-plaztekman

Comment

• Teemu
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2010

Having had to deal with a peeling star through eight years of photo shoots, I am bothered zero by the star, and barely notice it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14340[/ATTACH]
                    It's very noticeable....I'll be super-glueing mine down like it should to be.Though, DST Could of done what Figures Toy Company does and heat seal the emblems on

Comment

• Boywonder0
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 29, 2007

Again, we weren't trying to guess what they would have done, we were trying to re-create what they COULD have done -- it's a technique they used in this line, if rarely, and this was an opportunity to try out a technique that no pre-existing Retro Marvel figure would have, and no modern-style figure could get away with. But read Joe's piece in the Wolvo-booklet, he was actually directly involved in the process.

If the main thing to learn here is that the next time we create a 1970s-style Marvel Mego figure that has NEVER existed before, we should NOT give them a removable mask, because people may only buy ONE... then I guess we'll have to play it by ear.

I still think Iron Man could have worked with a rubber mask (at least, as well as his actual masked look "worked"), and I think Green Goblin would have worked amazingly, since the character is actually wearing a rubber mask.

And this is definitely the biggest re-Mego community, but remember that the figures are being designed by members of the community, who have a long history of interaction with the community, who know to a certain extent what the community will buy, and are as big fans as anyone here. I think a little artistic license is owed to them, for helping make this line a reality at all.

And when you're mass-producing toys, you have to learn to put suggestions in the context of the larger audience. I'm sure a big chunk of our sales is represented here, but when you look at the number of members vs. the number of active members vs. the number of re-Mego collectors vs. the number of commenters in this thread vs. the number of actual negative comments that agree on how it SHOULD be handled, you're talking about a much smaller percentage. Hopefully an equal or greater number of buyers like the mask!
                      ^^^Once again thank you (DST) and Dr. Mego for these sets. Those complaining are "the usual suspects". They just want to be considered the "words of wisdom" of this hobby. Keep these sets coming as you have them planned. Rest assure that your sets will sell out. The buying market is much bigger than them. Keep up the good work!^^^

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

When is the release date on Capt. America and are they planning Falcon too?

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Note that the Spider-Man retro figure had a circle suit. Another thing Mego "fixed," because the later version looked better/more accurate.
                          Yeah, that kinda bummed me out. If it had been the traditional costume instead of the "circle suit"...I would have kept him instead of selling him on eBay.
                          sigpic

Comment

• jayraytee
                            Career Member
                            • May 27, 2011

^ Exactly. The only reason circle suit Spiderman is a collectable was because it was what Mego designed originally, making it an early version and rare, not because it looks good. Mego was smart enough to FIX it and not keep producing it.
                            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Spider-man sets are not selling out...they can be found plentiful...

Action Figures, NECA, Hasbro, Hot Toys, Funko, Monstarz, Star Wars, Batman, Godzilla, King Kong, Spider-Man, X-Men

Diamond Select Toys offers high quality action figures. Check out our shop. San Diego 2022 Exclusive. Select Action Figures. Types: Action Figures, Gallery Dioramas, Legends in 3-Dimensions, Milestone Statue, Minimates, Statues, Vinimates.

and MORE doing simple searching

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Teemu
                                Spider-man sets are not selling out...they can be found plentiful...

Action Figures, NECA, Hasbro, Hot Toys, Funko, Monstarz, Star Wars, Batman, Godzilla, King Kong, Spider-Man, X-Men

Diamond Select Toys offers high quality action figures. Check out our shop. San Diego 2022 Exclusive. Select Action Figures. Types: Action Figures, Gallery Dioramas, Legends in 3-Dimensions, Milestone Statue, Minimates, Statues, Vinimates.

and MORE doing simple searching
                                I think he was saying that the wholesale availability is depleted, not that every one bought by a store was sold. Let's try to be a little more realistic in our rants, please.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎